Patching Holes in Roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Patching Holes in Roof « Previous Next »

Erston Reisch (Erston)
Registered Member
Username: Erston

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 70.89.134.94

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   

Hello all!

Our '48 GM 4151 has a ill-planned and ill-conceived vent in the roof, directly at the top of the bus and about half way between the front and rear. The vent is rectangular, about 4" by 18" and isn't near a support rib. The cover is missing, but even without that the vent is leaking around the flashing (installed with 2" sheet metal screws!) and letting water in the bus.

We want to remove it and patch the panel. I've done some searching in the archives and wasn't able to find any advice on what would be the best route to fix this. My original thought was making an aluminum panel of a similar type and thickness to the original skin (which would be...?) and then riveting it with aluminum rivets... and should I use "buytl tape" as mentioned in one of the archived posts?

Thanks in advance for helping the newbies!

~ Erston and Blue
Busfool (Chuck)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 216.209.123.11

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   

do you have access from the inside?If you do make two identical pieces and make a sandwitch use a buytl tube of caulking to seal it. Before you rivet put some screws into the piece to make sure that the new piece is completely tight then drill between the screws and put in rivets every inch or so then remove the screws you put in and replace them with rivets be sure the rivets you use are going to fit the screw holes or you may have to ream them out.This process works better than tape you can use this process with a piece on the outside only or with a piece on both sides the key is to make sure you put lots of buytle caulk all over the surfaces to be joined . Home depot has a fifty year caulk in the paint department.Chuck
Erston Reisch (Erston)
Registered Member

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   

Chuck - yep, we have access from the inside (we will be finishing the gutting job on the bus). There are screwholes allready (the vent was installed with screws!) and I was planning on using the existing holes in the bus as a template and using a marker to transfer the hole pattern to the new panel. I guess I'll make two when I make them and make a sandwitch - makes sense that it will be stronger and more waterproof.

Good tip on the screw hole size and rivet size... I hadn't thought through that far to realize that I may have to drill out the holes to round them out then go with slightly larger rivets.

Now, anyone have any advice on what kind of aluminum I should use?

Thanks!

~ Erston and Blue
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 349
Posted From: 71.58.126.56

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   

From the decription on the dimension,it sounds like a refrigerator vent like the one on mine. The vents are still available if you need to retain it.
Bob greenwood (Bob_greenwood)
Registered Member
Username: Bob_greenwood

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 4.90.5.117

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   

I'd use 16 guage & I'd make it 4 inches longer & 4 inches wider & either buytle or pure silacone
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 66.217.105.148

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   

Why use rivets on the roof at all? Sheet metal screws are
the choice of most all RV shops, and screws allow for future
tightening (or removal of the panel) if/when needed or desired....
(and screws don't have nasty holes through the center that
eventually leak)
Busfool (Chuck)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 206.172.106.74

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   

caution with the silicone you can't really paint over silicone too well that is why the buytle was suggested.The sheet metal screws is a good idea as well.Find some nice stainless screws.On my patches I used 16ga. material.On my roof caps I used 1/4" stainless bolts with locks and lock tight but made sure there was lots of buytle in all the screw holes. No leaks yet Chuck
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 4.240.213.186

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   

Sikaflex, PL and others work very well. We have three skylights.....no problems for several years.... far as I know.

Stainless metal screws into the Aluminum with at least a 1/4 inch bead at the screw line...another around the cut.

As FF says....works for me///:-)

FWIW

RCB
'64 Crown Supercoach (HWC)
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 243
Posted From: 63.97.117.27

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   

Your roof is probably 0.060" Al alloy like my 4104 so I would recommend using the same thing for a patch.

Go to the library and get a book on aircraft sheet metal repair or ask your friendly airport mechanic.

Make a ring around the underside of the hole so it sticks out into the opening about 1.5-2.0". Use SS or Al industrial 1/8 or 3/16" pop rivets to rivet this ring to the bus roof then rivet the patch to the ring. Industrial rivets have solid centers. This makes the patch flush to the roof, stronger and better looking. Using this method all you need do with the old holes is fill them with sealer. Don't bother with aircraft driven rivets unless you already know how to use them or have a lot of time to learn.

Forget the silicone, use the same silastic type sealer as used on RV roofs.

Rivets are better than screws because they fill the hole and restore the metal to its original strength.

GMC buses are monocoque construction just like airplanes, which means the sheet metal is a major part of the structure of the bus since it has no frame.
Brian Elfert (Belfert)
Registered Member
Username: Belfert

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 132.148.80.215

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:32 am:   

What I did to patch two holes in my roof from vents I removed was to use aluminum from cutting other holes.

I put a lot of poly caulk underneath before I started and then riveted the aluminum down. (Bulb-tite rivets, not pop rivets.) I then put another bead of poly caulk around the edge when done.

Brian Elfert
Skip N (Skip)
Registered Member
Username: Skip

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 65.19.219.101

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   

I have a similar situation. The solution I came up with is to make a vent cover matching the interior. That way during cold or hot times I can open it for venting purposes instead of cracking a window open. For you I guess that would include a new exterior roof vent with proper screws or rivets.

Skip
Erston Reisch (Erston)
Registered Member

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   

Thanks for the replies, all! I'm in Seattle, so I'm going to go down to the Boeing Surplus store and see if I can score some 0.060 aluminum for patching it. I'll try to find some solid rivets of the right size (Aluminum, hopefully) and then make a patch sandwitch with butyl compound to seal the areas. Hopefully my rivet tool will work the solid type as well.

John, now that I look at it, our fridge does indeed have the same kind of vent... but it still has it's cover. We don't want to keep it, as it is ugly, leaking and useless... and since my head brushes the roof in the center, we're trying to keep the center isle ceiling clear of additional things to whack my head on.

Thanks again for the advice, y'all! Between this hole and the windshield gaskets that Luke @ US Coach has that sound like they'll fit, I will have a watertight bus... so now I can start rewiring the dash.

Cheers,

~ Erston

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration