Tranny problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Tranny problems « Previous Next »

Don Nichols (65fisher)
Registered Member
Username: 65fisher

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 67.141.149.169

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   

I have a 1965 GMC "Fishbowl". It has the 318 Diesel and the Vs2-8 tranny. I cannot get it to move. It appears to go into gear and I can rev the engine, but nothing happens. I am extremely new to this, so be gentle, but I really need to move this bus. Thanks for the help.

Don
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 66.217.106.170

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   

Is it safe to assume you've managed to properly released
the parking brake, and the brakes have indeed released?
Bob greenwood (Bob_greenwood)
Registered Member
Username: Bob_greenwood

Post Number: 398
Posted From: 4.227.2.41

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   

we don't know how new you are, but you must push the button down,then press hard on the brake pedal after you are sure you have 120 pounds of air
Steve Souza (Steveggt)
Registered Member
Username: Steveggt

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 71.116.87.220

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:41 am:   

Hi Don! If you're in gear but the bus doesn't move, you should feel it rock back and forth a bit. This means your brakes haven't released.

You probably have a F-N-R lever to the right of the driver's seat, or you might have a toggle switch on the left of the dashboard next to the air gauge to select F-N-R.

With the lever, a cable pulls the tranny into F-N-R. With the toggle, an air cyliner/piston selects F-N-R. In either case, once the desired direction is selected, there's about a 1 second delay, then you should feel the trans engage. It's just like your car...there's a bit of a delay from when you select (D) Drive to when it actually engages.

If you don't hear/feel the little "clunk", the tranny isn't engaged, and then we have to dig deeper...
Art Gill (Sandcastle)
Registered Member
Username: Sandcastle

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 208.11.184.64

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 7:54 am:   

Try pulling up on the brake pedal. I have had mine stick enough to keep the brakes engaged.

Art
Brian Brown (Blue_velvet)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_velvet

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 72.19.152.144

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 2:01 am:   

As Steve said, you should hear the "clunk". When I had a Fishbowl w/ the VS2-8, sometimes the wire that connects to the tranny solenoid would come off. Was an easy fix.

One time it came off when I was negotiating a tight turn with several iterations backwards and forwards. So I ran back there to plug it in and FELT THE CLUNK the instant I did... it was still in DRIVE!

Luckily I caught up with the bus, since you've never seen a man cover 40+ feet so fast!

Brian "stupid bus tricks" Brown
presently driving a 4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration