Using a light tower generator on my bus Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Using a light tower generator on my bus « Previous Next »

Andrew Bowey (All2go)
Registered Member
Username: All2go

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 67.140.224.5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   

All help and constructive criticism is welcome. I got a good deal on a trailer mounted Kubota powered light tower at an auction and would like to use it in my bus. Look at the Roadwork and Heavy Equipment auctions in your area, lots of good stuff fairly priced. The light tower was rolled so it came without the lights and pole. The winch and mounting is still there and looks great for a wind turbine mounting later. After getting all of the bent sheet metal of the enclosure off of it I changed the oil and radiator coolant and it fired right up. It seems to have low hours (1500) and puts out 125-130v on each leg and 250v on both. It is very clean and looks new now the wreckage around it is gone. It has a sweet little 3 cylinder Kubota diesel engine that says D-905. After looking it up on the Kubota website the engine seems a great choice? It looks like a Boss model BTK64MH light tower with a Newage 6 KVA generator head. No stickers or ID on the gen. head anywhere. Just the name Newage. Info I could find on the internet is, 60Hz, 1800 RPM, 240 volts, single phase, 25 Amps Base Rate, Continuous rating, and I don't know what PF: 1 means and Ex. Volts: 48 must mean exciter ? Anyway, now I would like to ask if someone could take a look at the wiring diagram I have made of the control box and tell me which way is best to wire it for use in the bus. If it can be used in the bus? I have attached the diagram. I can not find out exactly which generator head it is at the Newage site. Because it is transformer regulated I think it is this one:
STAMFORD RANGE
Transformer controlled synchronous a.c. generators
The STAMFORD range of "series 5" transformers controlled a.c. generators range from 6.25 kVA to 88 kVA.
This robust range of generators feature superb motor starting capabilities (1 HP per kW).
The voltage regulations for the series 5 generator is + 5 % at 0.8PF.
TRANSFORMER CONTROLLED : BCI16 | BCI18
A range of 4-pole, single or 2-bearing transformer controlled generators designed for very high motor starting loads (450 % for up to 7 seconds) where fine voltage regulation is less critical.(that worries me)
Engine adaptors to SAE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6, and coupling discs to SAE 61/2, 71/2, 8, 10 & 111/2, are offered on the BCI versions.
Dedicated adaptors for Lister Petter Alpha and TS/TR engine ranges are available on the BCAI & BCLI.
Windings are specific to output voltage (single or three phase).
Voltages available range up to 480 V.
IP23 enclosure protection is standard.
BCI 16 – 3-phase 4 pole 60Hz 7.8 - 17.5kvA
That was found at http://www.newage-avkseg.com/english/content/030101_stamford_0301.html and at http://www.newage-avkseg.com/english/content/download/newage/manuals/bc/BC168-184English.pdf

I can mount it with no problem in the A/C bay if it will work... It does not have an automatic voltage regulator it has a transformer, would I have to add an AVR??. There is one light tower I found listed on the big auction site (bidding closed already)just like it, item number 150051835005. There are some good pictures of one exactly like it.

I also bought a SW4024 inverter with the SWRC/50' remote and a Surepower model 522RB 24/12 100amp Equalizer to hook up when I get some batteries for the house bank. I need a panel and some other things...any suggestions as to which direction to go in setting this up would be appreciated. I know most of you will tell me to go straight to an electrician but I would like to do it myself. It can't be that hard if one is very careful, follows good advice, and double checks everything before putting power to it.
Thanks,
Andrew.
Gen Wires
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1760
Posted From: 75.108.82.163

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   

Home type electricians will not know anything about this type equipment generally. You need to find a generator repair/rewind shop. Where are you located?

The stated regulation of 5% would indicate that the voltage would drop to 118 volts or rise to 131 volts if you place or remove 100% full load all at one time. I sincerely doubt if that would ever happen in your application. You may be able to replace the transformer with an electronic voltage regulator that would improve the regulation to plus or minus 1%. I would suggest you contact The manufacturer to see if this is possible.

The output rating of 25 amps is for the 240 volt output. You could get two legs of 25 amps at 125 volts from each hot leg to neutral for a total of 50 amps at 125 volts.

The PF 1 indicates unity power factor and is the standard rating for all single phase alternators I have ever seen.

Where did the schematic diagram come from? Was it on the unit somewhere?

That is about all the information I can give you off the top of my head.

Richard

(Message edited by drivingmisslazy on December 01, 2006)
Andrew Bowey (All2go)
Registered Member

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 67.140.224.5

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   

Thanks Richard. I am just North of Atlanta, Ga. in Cornelia, Ga. I drew the diagram from looking at and identifying the leads and terminals. That sounds as if I could use it as is at the moment with the transformer as long as I don't use all of it's capacity at once.
Andrew.
David Hartley (Drdave)
Registered Member
Username: Drdave

Post Number: 712
Posted From: 67.78.176.54

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   

The combination that you have is a good choice for the bus. The tower lights don't worry much about regulation so you may need to get an aftermarket AVR box to run the exiter circuit for better regulation.

The D905 is a great engine and will last many 10 of thousands of hours if you keep it oiled and cooled properly.

I would hook it up as a 240/250 with the center neutral for 120/240 ( 125/250 ) which would be perfect as a 50 amp RV supply.

The engine governor is probably already set for 1800 rpm and it should actually be usable up to full load without an AVR installed. Remember campground power is always fluctuating anyway so the 5% variance really shouldn't be a problem for most stuff.

You probably will want to get a different muffler system, I use one of the large ONAN gas engine mufflers ( like from a 6.5kw Onan ) and they really quiet the kubota down to almost silent.

The only other real noise is from the air intake. But adding some tubing and a few 90 degree turns to the intake pipe will also suppress a lot of the noise. Mechanical noise and vibration isolation can be done with rubber mounts and a/c duct board lining the inside of the sound box.

If you paid less that 2K, You got a deal. The engine is worth that alone.
Kurt C Wagner (Kcld)
Registered Member
Username: Kcld

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.82.204.199

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   

I've got the same rig - Boss BTK 64MH light tower I stripped the generator and Kubota out of. Welded a pivoting carrier up for it and mounted it to the old A/C condensor hinges in my Eagle 10. I have the original Stamford/Newage Install, maint, & service manual if you would like me scan and send you a copy let me know.
Ed Jewett (Kristinsgrandpa)
Registered Member
Username: Kristinsgrandpa

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 64.24.212.135

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 12:28 am:   

Unless you want strictly a 125 volt connection, the way it is set up now is great.

I also wouldn't worry about the voltage fluctuations unless you have sensitive electronic equipment. Some campground voltage is pathetically low.

If you find that you need the AVR, try the AVR 12 at this site for about $85.

http://www.solesco.com/AVRmenu.html

In order to use this one you might have to add a resistor to your exciter windings as this one needs at least 3 ohms resistance. The wiring diagram you posted doesn't show the exciter resistance.

You will have to contact the manufacturer, or get someone to measure it(simple job, sometimes).

HTH Ed.
Andrew Bowey (All2go)
Registered Member

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 67.140.227.66

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   

Ed, Kurt, David and Richard thanks for the suggestions, Kurt, yes please, I sure would appreciate a copy of the Stamford/Newage Install, maint, & service manual. That would be great.
Now on to better muffler, isolating, mounting etc.. I'll see how it does for the moment without the AVR and keep it on my list of things to do.
Andrew.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration