Engine storage option Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Engine storage option « Previous Next »

FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 4.235.251.216

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   

Truck engines at 200,000 a year can be worn out but bus campers seldom are ever be worn out, but can easily be killed from improper storage.

All engine mfg specify storage procedures , but even for the long winter months , many find it a big chore .

Da Book procedure is usually too big to do and too time consuming for most folks.

Driving 100 miles a month , is a stop gap that does work, but the periods of no use , that "just happen" are still eating away at the engine .

I propose a simple solution , using my favorite OTS (off the shelf) parts .

There are a number of kits , factory and after market for using Ether to help a really cold engine that wont start on diesel.

I suggest one of these kits fitted to use Fogging Oil , to inject a spray in the intake before/at engine shutdown.

The cylinders and valves should all be protected till the next start.
Might be a bit of extra smoke on startup ,
so don't extend the engine life if you live on the Left coast.

FF
joe padberg (Joemc7ab)
Registered Member
Username: Joemc7ab

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 66.38.159.33

Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   

Fred

Would'nt the fogging oil act as additional fuel and just run the RPM higher ? Have you or anyone else tried it? I have used the same idea when storing a gas engine and pouring oil down the throat of a carburator untill it fully chokes itself. A little more difficult with injected setup.

Joe.
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 4.235.207.91

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 5:00 am:   

Would'nt the fogging oil act as additional fuel and just run the RPM higher ?

When squirting it in the intake some sure does get burned , but the quantity is not enough to sustain operation so the engine stops.

I have done this by hand on small (100cu in) boat diesels and gensets and it may help oil them.

Sure IS an extra bunch of smoke on startup , so some oil must be unburned.

FF

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration