Skinner Valve Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » Skinner Valve « Previous Next »

Buddy Tennison (Buddyten)
Registered Member
Username: Buddyten

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 207.68.235.83

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   

Hey Guys and Gals, It's Me again. In a thread a few days ago, we discussed "Starting Problems". Great advice, and we are part way through with cleaning and servicing our connections. George had advised me to check the "skinner valve". Well, I did and I think I discovered that it is not working correctly. The plunger does not appear to be fully actuating at all times. I gather from this that it is probably going bad. I decided that I want to replace it. Problem is that when I went to TruckPro (our local parts dealer for heavy equipment and trucks) they didn't have one, and didn't seem too keen on trying to locate something for an 8V71 as old as ours. Do you guys have suggestions on where to go to locate one of these bad boys?? George had indicated that these were not common to diesel engines other than the DD 8V's and 6V's. Since they are for these engines only, is the valve kinda generic or specific to each engine? What info am I going to need to give to get one of these? Just want to get all the required info before I start calling around. Better yet, would any of you have one of these animals that I could deprive you of? Any help would be appreciated. Incidentally, am also replacing the wires from the skinner valve to the solenoid.
Buddy Tennison (Buddyten)
Registered Member
Username: Buddyten

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 207.68.235.83

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:16 am:   

Also forgot to mention something. I think the "battery kill switch" we are using is too small. Although I got it at the Truck parts dealer, it is not very big. The posts are are probably only about 3/8". What type of kill switches do you guys use, part #'s, where do you get them, etc?
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1244
Posted From: 67.181.189.94

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:38 am:   

Buddy -

There are probably two skinner valves on your engine - one for start/stop, the other for the fast idle. IIRC, they're identical.

Call Luke @ US Coach, 1-888-262-2434 M-F between 9-5 Eastern. Strong supporter of the busnut community, fair prices and ships same day with plastic money. Support those who support us!

As for the battery kill switch, do you have a West Marine nearby? Quite a few converters use the HD marine units.

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 207.231.80.150

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:15 am:   

Buddy,
The Skinner Valve is on the bulkhead, and controls air to the shutdown cylinder. An easy check is to disconnect the air hose to the cylinder, then turn off the run switch. Air should then flow continuously from the hose. Turn the switch back to run, and the air should stop immediately. If this happens, I would say your trouble is a worn/leaky shutdown cylinder. If the air flow isn't as above, then look at the valve and its wiring.
In addition to looking at your grounds, (which may be a part of this problem) take a nut driver to all of your positive connections in the terminal strips. On another bus with the same type of intermittent problems, we found over 20 loose nuts on studs between the four terminal boards, lock washers and all.
Its not fun to do 20 years of deferred maintenance at once, but the results will be worth it.
Carry on,
George
dick egler (Dickegler)
Registered Member
Username: Dickegler

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 66.82.9.55

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 7:11 am:   

Hi Buddy, I sent you a private message.

Dick Egler

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration