Help needed with oil pressure sensor ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » Help needed with oil pressure sensor DDEC2 « Previous Next »

Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member
Username: Homermandy

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.133.104.177

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   

I need some help. My 1991 Eagle 6v92TA DDEC2 has been spitting a 45 code out. It is the Low Oil pressure code. I checked the pressure in the rear of the bus(mechanical guage) and the front and it reads around 40psi. So I know the pressure is fine, but the bus shuts down. I checked the connector from the DDEC and the oil pressure sensor and all is fine. So, does anyone have a verification method to check th voltages at the sensor? And also a part number? Thanks
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   

Actually, what pin and connector does the oil pressure go to on the DDEC?
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   

Ok, Sensor Oil PSI middle wire brown 530 goes to P2 530 so the DDEC2 says. Which connector is P2 530 on if you look straight at the DDEC box. There are 3 top connectors, and 2 large bottom. Thanks
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   

Basically I am trying to verify that there is no broken wire between the sensor and the connector.
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   

I assumed I can start the bus and check voltage between center pin and grnd on the sensor with sensor plug to DDEC off. If there is no voltage, safe to say sensor is bad.
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 551
Posted From: 67.142.130.17

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:48 am:   

Joe,

No need to start the engine to check the sender.

If you had a bad wire to/from the ECM, you should also be seeing a code 35 or 36. (If you are getting any other codes, including 35 or 36, you need to troubleshoot them before you tackle the code 45.)

Assuming you are not seeing either of those, verify that you are seeing +5V on the input side of the sender (wire 416) using a voltmeter, with the ignition "on". Verify continuity to ground on other side of sender (wire 452). If either test fails, problem is between ECM and sender (and then I would want to know why no Code 35 or 36 is appearing).

Next, disconnect sender and check with ohmmeter -- A-B should read less than or equal to 5 ohms, B-C should read greater than 10,000 ohms. Otherwise, the sender is bad.

If neither of those tests reveals the problem, I would start looking for a real problem with oil pressure reaching the sender. It's possible that the mechanical and electrical gauge senders are in a totally different place on the block, where they are seeing a higher oil pressure.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
larry currier (Larryc)
Registered Member
Username: Larryc

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 152.163.100.13

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:22 am:   

Joe,I have driven millions of miles without a computer to shut me down. I have never lost an engine. I did have one problem after another with my DDEC 2 running BS codes and shutting down for no real reason. Mostly due to moisture I think. I went straight to DD and had them disable the auto shutdown and could not be happier now. My trouble lites still warn me and the low power mode still takes over with hi temp. DD turns auto shutdown off with the hand held unit and it takes about 5 min. You can also get the droop set at the same time for 150 RPM and get a little more top speed if you want it. They have never charged me to do this for me. Now I trust my bus to bring me home and I don't spend any time laying under it with an omm meter. If it runs this code every time that you start up a hill, its low on oil. Mine was shutting down at 2 quarts low on oil. Thats when I had DD kill the procedure.
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:24 am:   

Thanks for the replies. I got no other codes than 45. Sean, I will check the sender with your procedure this morning and will let you know. Larry, nice idea. Couldn't agree with you more.
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:26 am:   

Ok, Sean I followed your instructions. Ignition on, continuity to ground was fine and also 5 volts to sender. Disconnected sender and 0 ohms A-B and 1500 ohms B-C. Safe to say bad sensor?
Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:06 am:   

Ok, I got a new sensor and before I installed it, the ohms were the same between B-C, about 1500. I installed it anyways and the problem went away. Any ideas on that one? :-)
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 553
Posted From: 67.142.130.46

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:39 am:   

Joe,

Sorry, I think I read you the B-C resistance value from the wrong part of the troubleshooting procedure. ~1,500 ohms sounds about right.

In any case, looks like you found the problem -- bad sender.

As I posted elsewhere, getting a copy of the DDEC-II troubleshooting manual will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

Glad you found the problem.

FWIW, I don't agree with Larry -- the shutdowns are there for good reason. The Engine Override button is available to bail you out when an imminent shutdown is threatened, but, generally, shutdown-inducing conditions are cause for concern and should be dealt with at the root level, not merely by disabling them, IMO. Having a bad oil pressure sender cause false alarms is an annoyance -- running the engine with insufficient oil pressure is a catastrophe. Same goes for coolant overtemp, etc.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 71.101.55.168

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:44 am:   

There have been lots of DDEC 2 troubleshooting manuals for sale on Ebay. Good thing to have with the electronic engine.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration