6v92 Exhaust pipe and Boost Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » June 2007 » 6v92 Exhaust pipe and Boost « Previous Next »

Joe (Homermandy)
Registered Member
Username: Homermandy

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 69.135.191.227

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   

As I was inspecting my exhaust manifold and pipes to turbo, I noticed a large amount of air escaping at idle from one of the muffler clamps(the two pieces of exhaust pipe which are removable). PArt of the leak was when I re-installed my turbo, I must not have turned the turbo piece which connects to the 2 exhaust pipes down far enough leaving a not so good seal. Anyways, I was spraying some soapy water on each joint and noticed bubbling(meaning small air leaks). So, is there something that can be put on the flanges where the exhaust connections are which will healp to seal a little better? Also, I broke one of the clamps(trying to tighten too much). It is a clamp with 4 sections and a large band with a single nut. Anyone know the name of the clamp? Just an fyi for anyone who has the removable exhaust pipe between the manifold and the turbo. Thanks
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   

check NAPA truck exhaust catalog... they sell every type that is made. I like the SS band clamps especially, as you can remove the band to easily take the pipes apart. Remember to use antiseize on all your exhaust bolts, as you never know when you'll need to take them apart. You also mentioned flanges... they make a V groove clamp for connecting two flared pipes together also. One thing that helps with V groove clamps or band clamps, is to use a little grease on the pipes to help everything slide back together again; just don't go crazy with the grease. For sealant, you can use auto muffler cement, however don't use it on any pipes leading to turbo inlet.Those small vanes on the wheels are delicate and won't tolerate any debris.Personally though, I wouldn't use any cement, as pipes that size should be able to be sealed without it's use, and could be a bear to disassemble in the future.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration