Need info to install power steering i... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » Need info to install power steering in 4104 « Previous Next »

Greg Smith (Pawsbus)
Registered Member
Username: Pawsbus

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 208.114.149.111

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   

My brother owns a 1958 GM4104 with standard steering and wants to convert it to power steering. Where are parts available? Can a steering box from another vehicle be used? Any info will be greatly appreciated. He is situated in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 71.101.55.168

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   

Do a google for (power steering for 4104)
James Stacy (Jimstacy)
Registered Member
Username: Jimstacy

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 75.41.26.168

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   

Three types were used: air assist, hydraulic assist, and integrated power steering box

The air assist was the cheapest since air was already available. It was the most erratic of the groups but had the unique ability to be turned off by the driver, which was often done at highway speed to eliminate the play. This system was basically an assist cylinder attached to the original linkage. It exibited a lot of "play" in the wheel when in use due to the valving delay, hence the turn off option was often used.

The hydraulic assist was a step up in both feel and cost. It used a hydraulic cylinder in place of the air cylinder, was a little more sensitive but still had some play in the wheel. It was more expensive because a source of hydraulic fluid (pump, reservoir & plumbing) plus the more expensive cylinder were required. This unit could be adjusted to provide a little better feel than the air system but could not be turned off. It was usually powered by a small Vickers pump with integral reservoir that had a modest fluid capacity and power.

The final stage of evolution was the integral steering box (usually the Sheppard in GM's). Ross also made a model for the GM line but was more common in the MCI and Prevost coaches. The main difference I am aware of was the Ross box has external adjustments for wear, the Sheppard does not.

The integral system requires the larger Vickers pump (separate large oil reservoir). The new cost of the Sheppard box alone is in the 4 figures.

Although I have heard of units put in '04s from other GMs and transit coaches you must keep in mind that the '04 steering is backward to the '06 and other GMs and transits. With a newer box installed in a '04 a clockwise rotation of the wheel will cause the coach to turn left! I have heard the bevel gear at the bottom of the steering column can be flipped over to correct for this. I have also heard of using the steering column from a transit or newer GM along with the '06 or newer box. I have no personal experience with these methods.

I have personal experience with the stock, unpowered system as well as the hydraulic assist and the Sheppard integral box. The integral box in good condition has zero lash in the steering and makes a 700 mile day pretty easy but it ain't cheap. Finding parts in a good bone yard such as Deans Coach would save a lot of bucks. HTH

Jim Stacy
Mel La Plante (Mel_4104)
Registered Member
Username: Mel_4104

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 208.181.100.20

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   

Greg i sent you an e mail with my phone #1-250-248-2766 if you would like to know how we did ours and the other 4104 owners around here just call me and i may be able to save you some time and money----------mel4104
Greg Smith (Pawsbus)
Registered Member
Username: Pawsbus

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 208.114.149.111

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   

Thank you Mel. I have forwarded all the info I received to him. Thank you everyone.
Greg
Gerald Norman (Gnorman46)
Registered Member
Username: Gnorman46

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 70.14.208.118

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   

http://www.tejascoach.com/
In stock and ready to install

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration