RO options Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » RO options « Previous Next »

Doyle Gaither (Texasborderdude)
Registered Member
Username: Texasborderdude

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 67.79.202.133

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:35 am:   

I'm thinking that I'd like to add a reverse osmosis setup for my coach water. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences and recommendations. What are the variables? Whole house/Commercial units? Replacement membranes? You know... let the discussion begin!

Thanks,

dg
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 424
Posted From: 66.217.105.91

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:01 am:   

To filter out the arguments, it should be stated if the rig will
be used for full-timing, or not.
Jerry Liebler (Jerry_liebler)
Registered Member
Username: Jerry_liebler

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 75.117.212.50

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:56 am:   

I went a bit different route. I chose a ceramic filter as the first and primary device, it filters down to 0.9 microns. Then I also use an ultraviolet sterilizer. This combination guarantees safe drinking water. I route the 'city' water through both to fill my tanks. In addition all water used in the bus, weather from the city water input or the tanks is sent through the uv sterilizer and a carbon block filter which does a good job of removing taste and odor (chlorine). I see no advantage to the additional 'demineralization' that reverse osmosis offers and felt that the UV step was much more important in dealing with unknown water sources.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 67.142.130.31

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   

The other question you will need to answer is: how much boondocking will you do? RO units "waste" a LOT of water. Fine if you are hooked up to city water and sewer most of the time, but problematic otherwise.

We chose to install a separate tank for drinking water (some folks just use the 5-gallon bottles for this), which we fill only from known-good sources. Then we just don't worry about what kind of water we get for the main tank, which only gets used for washing. We do have a ceramic "absolute" filter in case we need to make drinking water from the main tank, and we use a charcoal filter on the output of the drinking system to eliminate any chlorine taste or other contaminants.

If you do go with an RO system, you might consider putting in a small "buffer" tank, so you can use the RO when you are on city water, sewer, and power, but still have a supply of good water when you are parked someplace "stand-alone."

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1933
Posted From: 75.108.74.232

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   

I kept 6 one gallon bottles of drinking water under the kitchen sink. More than enough for coffee, tea, cooking and drinking. Easy to replenish at any grocery or convenience store. It was plenty enough even for a week of boondocking in the desert. I think I could find a lot of things the money could better be spent on than a RO system.
Richard
Richard
Michael Sheldon (Msheldon)
Registered Member
Username: Msheldon

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 68.230.115.166

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   

I'm going a different route altogether. I'm putting in a separate 20 gallon water tank, pump and faucet, and having my local water store fill it at $.25 a gallon. They have facilities for filling RV tanks.

WAY simpler, no waste water.
James Robinson (Jjrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Jjrbus

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 76.1.180.218

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   

My vote is with Richard. Much easier than even the 5 gal bottles. Way better things to spend time and money on. Unless you are going to boondock in Guatemala or some such place.
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 66.217.106.205

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   

At .59 per gallon bottle, you'd have to drink a whole lot of
water to make an RO system worthwhile.

We full-timed, and never had a problem with the bottles, even
on our limited budget. I can't imagine spending that much
(for an RO system), if it were to be used only occasionally.

(and besides, beer is so much better for you!)
Norm Edlebeck (Bandleader)
Registered Member
Username: Bandleader

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 76.17.179.197

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   

Richard you're my kinda guy!! I'm just starting on a 4 - 6 month adventure trip, and I do the same as you. Buy (and sometimes refill) gallon jugs of water. Never have to worry if it's contaminated & about 6 gallon jugs take up very little space. I keep mine in one permanent hinged bench of my dinette, & put them in fridge as needed, or just drink it without it being cold if I have to. NO PROBLEM - VERY LITTLE $$$$$
Norm Edlebeck
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   

Beer would make more sense for drinking ,cooking, etc. Kids might not like Beer flavored Kool Aid though.
James Robinson (Jjrbus)
Registered Member

Post Number: 83

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   

We full time and do not buy a new bottle each time. I keep 6 gal plastic milk crate in the toad. Take out a gal when needed put empty in. whenever out refill the emptys at 25 to 30 cents.
I do not drink beer, but if I did a keg system would be a must. Cooler and keg in the bay, with dispenser at kitchen sink. Nope two dispensers, need one in the bay also!
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member

Post Number: 426
Posted From: 66.217.105.184

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   

"Kids might not like Beer flavored Kool Aid though."

By the third cup, they won't give a *&%#, John.....

Kewl Aid kid

vomit kid
Doyle Gaither (Texasborderdude)
Registered Member
Username: Texasborderdude

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 67.79.202.133

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 10:30 am:   

Thanks to all. I am full-timing it. Just bought a 28 foot trailer to haul the toad and all the stuff I couldn't get in the coach. My main thought was to have some streak-free rinse water for the bus. A week of Austin rain and roads has it looking like crap and at $70 a wash, I was looking for an alternative. Seems like a 50 gpd unit would be more than ample for a high pressure, low volume was and all I could drink! Guess I'll set it up in the trailer and follow the thread concensus above. Sorry I couldn't get back to the internet sooner.

Anyone with any specific ro experience? Units, type etc.

Thanks,

dg
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 74.33.52.83

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:17 am:   

Doyle, be careful with the truck wash most of those places use acid and it will destory your siding, just in case Brown didn't tell you
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1937
Posted From: 75.108.74.232

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   

They have do it yourself washes around here that do a great job for either washing or only rinsing the coach or trailer. Only costs a few bucks and gives you some good exercise. LOL
Richard
James Robinson (Jjrbus)
Registered Member

Post Number: 84

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   

I'm useing a Mr Clean filter and soap system for the bus and toad. One filter $6 will rinse the bus and toad one time! The soap lasts abut 2 filters. Where I am the water is very heavily mineralized.
The other option I have are the 25 cent places (PIA) or wash the bus in the rain. HTH
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 619
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   

John MC-9- beer is too valuable to waste on kids.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration