1962 4106 starting problem. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » 1962 4106 starting problem. « Previous Next »

Jim Rink (Fakeguy)
Registered Member
Username: Fakeguy

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 24.33.85.105

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   

I need some voices of wisdom. I had to start my 1962 pd4106 with 8v71 by jumping the solenoid at the back electrical panel Has not been started for over a month when it fired right up. All batteries up, when turn the dial on drivers panel to DAY, buzzer buzzes and lights on dash on just like normal...hit the start swich and nothing...not a Sound. note that we just finshed installing new drivers window and were working around control panel and must have accidentally hit the emergency stop button. I reset the cam back at the engine but did not help...is there something I overlooked? Appreciate all help
James Stacy (Jimstacy)
Registered Member
Username: Jimstacy

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 75.41.13.137

Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   

Many ex hounds need the "Chime" switch on to start.

Jim Stacy
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1106
Posted From: 65.74.67.130

Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   

Jim, have you got the manual and the diagrams? If you look at them, you will see that there are many possibilities.

A process of elimination should be able to run the problem down, especially if the condition persists. I don't think that you mentioned if the rear start switch works.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Jim Rink (Fakeguy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:39 am:   

Jim Stacy.. will try the chime switch and let you know...we were working around panel quite a bit...getting steel screws out of aluminum from drivers window that was original and had been in for 45 years...pounding, etc. thank yoU
Jim Rink (Fakeguy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:43 am:   

Tom...rear switch disconnected. bus started fine as is...no change to rear switch or anything else...really weird...only thing we did differently from last time i started was put in window. yes..i do have manuals and wiring diagrams. Have run a lot of tests and think it is in master switch or start switch...power not getting through. as i said, we must have accidently hit the emergency stop button, but I reset cam and since that only affects air, did not know if there was some kind of electrical reset that goes with it also.
thanks for the reply
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1107
Posted From: 65.74.67.130

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   

Jim, we have a very small push button for start and reverse switches. I believe that it would be fairly easy to put enough down pressure on one to damage it.

If that happened, you might not notice the damage even though it could prevent a normal start. Also, if there is very much thumping while working in the area, debris might get into the contacts.

Good luck finding your problem.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Brian Brown (Blue_velvet)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_velvet

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 72.19.152.144

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:25 am:   

Jim, for troubleshooting get a 50' spool of 10ga or better wire and put alligator clips on it. You can then test for continuity and voltage from the rear panel to the front dash area and work alone.

Pull out the elec. diagrams and see what numbered connections in the rear panel get energized by the front switches. In your case, the starter magnetic switch in the rear panel is likely not getting continuity/voltage when the starter button is pressed.

These old coaches have a lot of old wiring. But if you find a bad wire, there's likely a good wire available that no longer feeds anything (lav., general lighting, etc.)

HTH,
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V-730
Longmont, CO

http://www.brownland.org/blog/
Jim Rink (Fakeguy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 71.79.3.147

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   

Hey Nuts...thanks for all the good comebacks and help...after checking many circuits (and learning a lot) it was the most simple...but hey...why start there?????.. was the start switch itself...no juice going thru it...put in new one and bingo...HOWEVER..lesson learned after putting in new switch and checking a few times...my friend was helping with checking some light connections in the back of the bus with cover raised...I turned on MASTER SWITCH only to send current to turn signals and bus started...this after we had checked new starter switch several times...new switch was bad...replaced it and ok now...never assume...good think we were in neutral...but my friend did spend some time cleaing out his pants
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 398
Posted From: 206.40.238.204

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:59 am:   

Jim,

I think I've probably replaced three toggle switches on my 4104 since I got it two years ago. The first time one failed I had checked just about everything in the circuit but the switch. I just didn't think that toggle switches ever failed but that was the only problem. Now I check them first thing!!
Jim Rink (Fakeguy)
Registered Member

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 24.33.85.183

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   

Gus...thanks for the moral support. I will be sure to check toggle switches first from now on
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 400
Posted From: 206.40.238.24

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   

Jim,

I don't think you need to worry about starting in gear. The starter on my 4104 with 671 won't even budge the engine when it is in gear. Even if it would the spring park brake wouldn't let it move.

The emergency shut off lever being closed won't affect the starting circuit, the engine will still crank. One busnut a while back even had his engine start momentarily with the emerg shutoff closed??

One other thing to be alert for is accidentally hitting the engine stop switch on the rear switch panel. If you accidentally turn off this switch the bus will start and run fine until the air builds up and then shuts off the engine?
I know all about this one!! It is supposed to be a momentarily off switch but mine had been replaced by a regular toggle switch. It is located with the rear start switch, the engine compartment light switch and the starter shutoff switch. This last switch is for the protection of a mechanic working in the back against someone trying to start the bus at the front.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration