Kohler Marine diesel generator/ insta... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » Kohler Marine diesel generator/ installing an alternator « Previous Next »

John Harrelson (Jharl)
Registered Member
Username: Jharl

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 216.246.148.69

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 8:46 am:   

I have on my eagle a 12.5kva diesel generator. It has a water coold engine and a fan belt. How difficult would it be to install the alternator I have on it. I can handel the wiring and internal regulator stuff the problem I have is in making a bracket for it. this would be a great help in getting the house batteris charged.

jack
James Robinson (Jjrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Jjrbus

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 76.1.180.218

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:32 am:   

That would be a different way to charge the house batterys. If you are running a generator that is producing electric why not use a battery charger? Or an inverter with a built in charger.It seems it would be a lot less work and more efficent.
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1943
Posted From: 75.108.76.131

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:49 am:   

I agree with James. The alternators installed on gensets are typically very small and only suitable for re-charging the starting battery of the genset.
Richard
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 71.101.55.168

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:02 am:   

I put a 60 amp alternator on my genset to keep the bat. charged. You will have to use a switch from the oil pressure to turn the alternator on. The alternator dosn't turn fast enough to use a self exited one. I have had mine on for 2 years and love it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration