Fiberglass caps looking a little sad Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » Fiberglass caps looking a little sad « Previous Next »

Williams Family (Williams)
Registered Member
Username: Williams

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 64.184.139.163

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   

Hi,

The fiberglass caps on our MC-9 are starting to look a bit rough. I was planning on taking some fine sandpaper, and sanding them smooth, then spraying some Krylon. Is this the proper procedure?
We need to keep these caps, and right now we are on a very tight budget! Can someone please give me some tips? Thanks
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 623
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   

once you prep them for smoothness,a good quality exterior house paint will look good and last longer than spray paint. With a quality brush, you should get a smooth finish.
john daniels (Big_john)
Registered Member
Username: Big_john

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 75.109.201.14

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   

If the fiberglass is just faded or slightly weather checked, try a paint restoritive called "penetrol". I've used it on boats and tractor parts with good success.
John Harrelson (Jharl)
Registered Member
Username: Jharl

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 216.246.148.69

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   

If you have cracks or leaks in the fiberglass you can get some seaglass and resin and make a repair. then sand smooth and and prime and paint. you will never know there was a problem.

sanding use finer grit as you ge the surface smother. start with 250 and work higher to 2500 grit. you'll be able to get the higher frits at automotive supply house. the guys that supply the car parts places.

jack
Christopher Goodwin (Cgoodwin)
Registered Member
Username: Cgoodwin

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 71.212.69.130

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:21 am:   

Don't use Krylon, it will look terrible in a no time. I repainted a Land Rover defender years ago one panel at a time, I wet sanded at 400 grit to insure a surface bond, sprayed a coat of spray primer, wet sanded again, then sprayed it with cans of "Hammerrite" gloss white. It looked professional and still looked good a year later when I sold it. I saw it three years later and it was still shiny.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration