When to replace air bags Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » When to replace air bags « Previous Next »

Ed Brenner (Epbrenner)
Registered Member
Username: Epbrenner

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 205.188.116.8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   

What really is the expected life of an air bag. I used to own a 4106 ,now I have inherited my dad's 1965 MCI-5A.He never replaced any bags, I don't know about the previous owner. Assume they are original should they not be replaced now instead of on the side of the road ?? Where to find them and approx. cost. Keep your eyes open all of you Eagle fans soon (I hope ) Ian will post my dad's other bus for sale. Too sweet for me to keep.
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 4.240.213.44

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   

When they begin to leak....I just replaced 6...not cheap...not fun. Twice as much as a couple of years ago. Oil$$$???

RCB
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1040
Posted From: 70.53.131.153

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   

Hello Ed.

Look closely at them, how perished is the rubber?

Try spraying some soapy water on them when aired up and see what happens.

If they look rough, it's always good for piece of mind to change them out in the driveway at home, versus losing one out on a trip.

I've done tag bags, and don't foresee much trouble with the main ones when the time comes.

A few railway ties to perch the bus on, pull the wheels, block the suspension points and cut the old ones out with a sharp knife. A suitable amount of violence to remove the rusted fasteners and you're ready to clean up the mount, rust paint of your choice, dry, and re-assemble.

An important bit, make sure you get a fresh fine thread nut to go on that bellow bolt when you get the new bellow. Most likely you won't be re-using the old one, and you may inflict more violence on the old one to get it out that way!

The fine thread nuts are hard to source at a regular hardware store.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 63.97.117.53

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   

If yours are Firestone they are really old. If they are Goodyear they probably have been replaced.

Firestone rings and bolts will not fit newer Goodyear bags so you will need all new hardware. I recommend Jefferson Bus in OKC, they sell the bag with all necessary bolts, washers and nuts for a very reasonable price.

I just replaced two original Firestones on my '54 4104 fronts and I can assure you it is not fun. The hardest part was getting the bolts far enough through the rings to start the nuts.
ChuckMC9 (Chucks)
Registered Member
Username: Chucks

Post Number: 1127
Posted From: 70.2.4.210

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:23 am:   

"A suitable amount of violence"

LOL. I'm getting pretty good at that violence now after a couple of years !
Florida Cliff (Floridacracker)
Registered Member
Username: Floridacracker

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 67.8.199.203

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   

Ed,

When is very subjective.

I replaced mine when I had the wheels off.

In the "BIG" picture they are not too expensive..

If it looks worn and its apart...I replace it..

YMMV

Cliff
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 395
Posted From: 63.97.117.17

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   

If you need any of the old Firestone "J" type bolts and rings you are welcome to mine but they are probably of no use to anyone unless one happens to have some of the old Firestone bags.

The new Goodyear bags are just about 1/4" OD larger so the Firestone rings won't fit the goodyear bags, as I found out after a couple of frustrating hours of trying to make them fit.

Fortunately the Goodyear bags don't use the steel waist rings like the Firestone either. Another pain in the neck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration