1980 GMC H8H649 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » 1980 GMC H8H649 « Previous Next »

james (Dieseldust)
Registered Member
Username: Dieseldust

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 207.81.36.205

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   

Hello to all you bus nuts,what can anyone tell me about picking the right one ,i am looking at 1980 GMC H8H649 ,8v71 with a auto,what should i look for where are the weak spots on these buses it still has all the seats in it and is still used sometimes to haul groups around the country,aparently has had some bottom end work done on the engine and tranny rebuilt less than 2 years ago.

Thanks for all your help.
James
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess)
Registered Member
Username: Sffess

Post Number: 702
Posted From: 67.142.130.22

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   

The H8H has integral power steering (Shepherd or Ross type). That is a very good plus. According to Luke, one weak spot can be a bad wood floor. You can fix that, however. They rust on the front cap which includes the upper (buffalo) windows and around the two smaller front side windows. I had an unconverted one that had been used on the Florida coast. Rust in those areas, but I loved that bus. The ride and handling was as good as the Prevost I have now and the steering was better. (I have the assist cylinder type power steering.) There really should be no weak spots. They were GREAT buses. Automatic transmission was from the factory so bulkhead should be fine.

A lot of folks will answer you who know a lot more than I do, but I had to answer because I love that model.
James Stacy (Jimstacy)
Registered Member
Username: Jimstacy

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 75.41.2.78

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   

Some of the GM's developed cracks in the rear bulkhead (the one right behind the drive axle not the fire wall). The axle locating arms are attached there and this bulkhead receives the thrust to move the coach. Like the wood floor these fractures can be easily repaired.

Jim Stacy
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   

The biggest weak spot I can see is it doesn't have an 8-V92 with a 3:55 rear.:-) Otherwise, one of the best coaches out there, especially in 1980's
Registered Member

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 67.142.130.13

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   

The H8H, 4905 is so light that it nearly flys.

One worry with a a coach that old still in charter service. Is the actual level of maintenance by the company. Are they selling it because it has signs of something going bad. I don't think there are many 4905s in revenue service any more, so was the company just keeping it as a spare or do they run old equipment until it is worn out and then sell it?
james (Dieseldust)
Registered Member

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   

Stephen the coach was purchased quite a while ago by a church and has just been used the last ten or so years as a church youth group transport,and has had engine and transmision work done 2 years ago,and thats all i know about it.i did search out the serial number and found out it was working out of Alaska when it was new.

Cheers
James
James Stacy (Jimstacy)
Registered Member
Username: Jimstacy

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 75.40.250.212

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   

Garry Dean told me one time to NEVER, NEVER buy a church bus. Second only to an old band bus, maintenance, if any, was usually done by anyone who would volunteer. Experience and funds were typically short. It could be a good coach, but if it were me, I'd get an expert third party to check things out. It's a lot easier to buy a bus than to sell it. FWIW

Jim Stacy
Registered Member

Post Number: 708
Posted From: 67.142.130.29

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   

Right. If it was a church bus, spend $100 to $150 to get a thorough checkout by a bus mechanic who knows GMC coaches. If they won't let you do that, walk away. I'm sure some churches actually maintain their bus well, but they are complex machines that a pastor the church members are not trained to maintain even if they have the best intentions. Even if it was maintained by a qualified truck mechanic, it may have problems. Buses are special.
james (Dieseldust)
Registered Member

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   

Anyone know a mecanic in or near Salina KS ,that might do that for me.
james (Dieseldust)
Registered Member

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   

Anyone know a mecanic in or near Salina KS ,that might be able to check out a bus for me .
Douglas Wotring (Tekebird)
Registered Member
Username: Tekebird

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 71.59.75.212

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:49 am:   

that is true, Church buses and Band buses are generally the worst maintained and most poorly operated large vehicles on the road.

Although there are a few good ones here and there I wouls suspect most are neglected.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration