So what really happened to Eagle? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » So what really happened to Eagle? « Previous Next »

norcal kyle (Kylexisxrad)
Registered Member
Username: Kylexisxrad

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 24.10.92.129

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:03 am:   

i would really like to know some of the general particulars of what really sent Eagle underwater. i cant seem to find much anywhere. all i know is they went under in January of 1998. ive been told(doesnt mean its the real story) that towards the end they were led by a group of executives that had never ever been in the bus industry before, and they basically rung them dry, and it was somehow attributed to the Model 20 and the deal they worked w/ NJT(craig hanloh from the new eagle told me this), but thats not really much of an explaination. i know there are a few factory guys at the new eagle, and i know that norris @ Jefferson Truck is a former Eagle International factory worker, but i really would hate to bother these people at their place of business just to answer my random questions. does anyone here have any more insight? im an eagle lover through and through, and would just like to know. thanks!

kyle in norcal
1980 Eagle 10 #30223
Manny (Buscrazyinfl)
Registered Member
Username: Buscrazyinfl

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 72.185.35.73

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:28 am:   

Kyle, Norris is your man. I have talked to him and he has the whole story and he does not mind talking about it, so next time you order from him ask him. I think some one needs to record all of his knowledge and stories about the Eagles and put it in book form for history sake.
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 64.40.223.242

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:43 am:   

I agree, call Norris. He likes to talk and has tremendous knowledge regarding Eagles. He is a great guy, has helped me a lot regarding my Eagle 01. Good Luck.
Douglas Wotring (Tekebird)
Registered Member
Username: Tekebird

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 71.59.75.212

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:44 am:   

as with most business downfalls it was a handfull of reasons

1. poor management
2. poor fiscal responsibility
3. moving to Mexico
4. poor quality control\
5. not keeping up with the rest of the industry

IMHO, the start began with the demise of trailways and the Loss of that "cash cow."

Similarly, that was also the begining of the demise of GM Coach was the loss of Greyhound Sales with the Greyhound purchase of MCI due to antitrust litigation
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 74.33.42.252

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   

Doug,what you are saying is true but the demise of Eagle came when Dial Soap bought MCI and Grey Hound Bus Lines (owned Trailways) they sold off everything they could the RTS,Tmc and Eagle.MCI would be in the same shape if after it was sold to a Mexican Co wasn't sold again they did build the model G and F in Mexico and were not good buses.Grey Hound did buy some Eagle buses about 50 i think to keep the factory going and keep the selling price up for the Brownsville factory
J.C.B. (Eagle)
Registered Member
Username: Eagle

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 209.183.34.46

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   

In 1987 Greyhound Inc. bought Trailways and Eagle International Inc. The name was changed to Eagle Bus Mfg. Inc. In the 1990's Greyhound declared bankruptcy which also included all of it's subsidiaries and also Eagle Bus Mfg. Inc. This is what happened to Eagle Bus Mfg.
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 74.33.42.252

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   

Goes back to Dial Soap get what you can and run
I don't think the 1990 Greyhound reorganization bankruptcy had any thing to do with because it just lasted 90 days and Dial was still in control after that, the problem started when it was sold. 1988 thru 1990 were some of the best years for profit

(Message edited by luvrbus on July 19, 2007)
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1951
Posted From: 75.108.73.6

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   

Overall, it was the collapse of the intercontinental bus passenger business. It gradually faded away, just like the railroad passenger business. There just was not enough business to support all the existing bus infrastructure. At least thats my opinion and I'm sticking with it.
Richard

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration