Radiator Misters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » Radiator Misters « Previous Next »

Larry & Lynne Dixon (Larry_d)
Registered Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 71.111.182.36

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:19 am:   

I know this will start a lot of pros and cons but!!!!!
I have installed misters on my 4905, using a regular RV water pump. The pump will start up, start the misters then come up to pressure. The pump will stop, coming upto pressure and not start again. Any ideas or has someone else used a different pump. If so what kind of pump should I use.
I'm having a little heat problem, Don't know if Trany cooler setting rite in front of the radiator or not. Is this where the tranny cooler usually is? 4905 larry
Thanks all for any and all help
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 64.40.223.242

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:41 am:   

Do you have a solenoid valve installed between the pump and mister manifold?
Pete/RTS Daytona (Pete_rtsdaytona)
Registered Member
Username: Pete_rtsdaytona

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 208.118.15.249

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:58 am:   

After the pump shuts off - I assume that the sprayers are still spraying - there is quite a big deadband in pressure from when the pump turns off and when it turns on again - prehaps you just need to wait
Registered Member

Post Number: 94

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   

Paul no I have no solenoid installed, what would a solenoid do for it?
Pete you may be rite,it seems like the first 2 are spraying a little and no more befor the pump shuts off and i waited quite a while, now that you mention it maybe holes in manifold are not large enough. Asking questions always spurs me to think in another direction. Thanks much and I will go work on it some more
I tried using the smallest bit in pvc pipe and the holes were too big. By the way Pete I still haven't got than cruise installed but will bite the bullet and try one of these days.
4905 larry
Florida Cliff (Floridacracker)
Registered Member
Username: Floridacracker

Post Number: 324
Posted From: 68.203.84.46

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   

Larry,

Go to Tractor Supply or similar and get some brass pesticide spray tips.

All sizes and patterns.

They have adaptors to pvc...

Best of luck

Cliff
Steve N. (N4rsn)
Registered Member
Username: N4rsn

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 75.105.156.215

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   

THe pump has a small pressure switch built in, so it will shut down at a preset pressure, when the pressure falls to a preset pressure, the switch will turn the pump on again.---- If the switch is set at a to low .the switch needs to be replaced
Andy Wright (Wrightwy)
Registered Member
Username: Wrightwy

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 75.208.120.76

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   

Hey Guys I have a ? on the mister , Cliff mentioned about the spray nozzles, On mine the pvc just has holes in it. and when I turn it on it just pours out, should I switch over ? what do ,most have . Thanks Andy
Registered Member

Post Number: 96

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   

Well here we go----I dug deeper into problem--
I used a patio mister for the job the nozzle holes are small. Every one of the nozzles were pluged the toggle switch i used worked part of the time.
Flojet makes good filter which I installed, I unpluged nozzles, ran for some time with no nozzles and put them in now all works as good as equipment allow.
This is going to be an ongoing trial. Thanks to everyone for the info and also getting my brain in gear. I will keep posted with any improvments if any I can make. 4905larry
Registered Member

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 67.8.199.203

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   

Larry,

FYI-The nozzles from TSC have a filter on each nozzle.

Andy,

The nozzles will really atomize the water and you will use less with better results.

You really want it to just cool the air, not soak the radiator, this will also aide in the lessening of any mineral deposits from the water.

Cliff
Registered Member

Post Number: 326

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   

Larry,

FYI-The nozzles from TSC have a filter on each nozzle.

Andy,

The nozzles will really atomize the water and you will use less with better results.

You really want it to just cool the air, not soak the radiator, this will also aide in the lessening of any mineral deposits from the water.

Cliff
Registered Member

Post Number: 97

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   

Ok here comes the dumb one. I can't tell if the fan is blowing out or pulling in the air. I haven't really thot about it when the engine is up to temp. Does anyone know.
At times I wish it was like the D7 Cat, they had a reversable fan and the summer the air was blown out and in winter air was sucked in to help warm the engine and the operator, ( one heck of an idea) 4905larry
Registered Member

Post Number: 327

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   

Pulling In..........
Arnie Molloy (Ayjay)
Registered Member
Username: Ayjay

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 141.154.38.155

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:49 am:   

Hi:
Just my 2¢ addition to the above, for my mister, I used a dash operated solenoid valve off my house water pump and tank system, but run it through an ice maker in-line filter to further reduce the build up of mineral deposits.... Wish I had thought of it when installing...Next mod is to have the solenoid temperature controlled
So far.. so good
Gary LaBombard (Garylee)
Registered Member
Username: Garylee

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 205.188.116.203

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   

I am just suggesting also the use of (Distilled) water in a separate tank that does not need to be large would assist in eliminating calcium deposits on the outside of your radiator plugging it up or making it look crappy after time even if it is a mist the cholorinated water will make a deposit on the fins over time.

Getting a dehumidifier for your rig would allow you to make your own unlimited quantity of distilled water also and allow you to have the proper water to mix also for your radiator coolant. This would also help in minimizing the amount of water in the air in your rig when really humid out especially. This is only a suggestion that I will use on mine and want to share.
Gary
Arnie Molloy (Ayjay)
Registered Member

Post Number: 77

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   

Gary:
Not to be argumentaive, but, consider the "Distilled" dehumidifier water has condensed on, and absorbed copper, aluminum, or zinc. contains airborne deodorants, cooking fumes and oils, insecticides, paint, smog, etc. as well as other pollutants.
Thanks, but, NO thanks! I'll continue to run my drinking water thru a charcoal/5 micron ice maker filter to the mister and replace it once a year for <$5.00.

Ayjay
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1269
Posted From: 67.181.189.94

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:20 am:   

Larry -

Move the transmission radiator (if it's an air/oil model) over to the transmission access door and install a thermostatically-controlled Hayden automotive fan on it.

Install a transmission oil temperature gauge. Should run about the same as the engine: 180 - 190.

Make sure your entire engine cooling system is up to OEM standards - it's very hard to overheat a GMC if everything's in good condition.

Unless you live in freezing temperatures, consider running a 70/30 or 60/40 water/coolant ratio, rather than 50/50. Water cools better than coolant, but you've got to have the coolant for other reasons, so don't run straight H2O.

Learn to shift the transmission properly to keep the engine in the proper rpm range for best cooling. Read the comments about shifting in the "Articles of Interest" section of this BBS.

When all else fails, slow down!

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
Gary LaBombard (Garylee)
Registered Member

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 152.163.100.203

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:52 am:   

Thanks Arnie, I will research the point you have brought up about using the dehumidifier distilled water more fully before using for my mister system but I won't use an untreated water like yourself without a filtering system of some kind straight from the tap. I am not sure of the volume of water your filter system can handle but will check on that also. I will be carrying a 30 gallon tank already built in my Eagle just for emergency radiator mist cooling if ever needed or for adding to the coolant tank also.
Gary
Muddog16 (Muddog16)
Registered Member
Username: Muddog16

Post Number: 355
Posted From: 4.224.243.98

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:21 am:   

My question is this after several years of operation just how bad does the radiator look or the area around it? Any rust? And if there is how long before you rot the radiator mounts and chassis? Maybe this doesn't happen any one have any pictures of this system after it has been in use for a while?

Pat
Gary LaBombard (Garylee)
Registered Member

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 205.188.116.203

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:35 am:   

Without misters on my Eagle as you know by my website, my radiator frame had rust rot right through it, my engine cradle which is 3 1/2" square was now rotted out to be only about 2" in height that was left??!!! This is without using any radiator misters. My personal use will be investigate how to properly remove any chemicals from tap water with a great filtration method or find a process to get good Distilled water as I mentioned before. These misters are to be set up with only a mist pattern not a wet spray pattern to saturate your radiator. We only want to cool the air entering the pull into the radiator by the radiator fan. Not cool down the actual framing of the radiator.

If only those more experienced with actual use of misters would post on this issue one more time with actual pro's and con's for us to decide would be great and probably this archieve of misters can be refered to each time it is brought up.

Actual experience in bus conversions, purchasing, inspecting, driving etc. will surely help us decide what is best for us. If anyone has had actual rust rot from misters please submit your suggestions and ideas what to do and not do. Theory just does not always hit it with me, but now you give me actual results you have my attention.

Not everyone likes to post so they will not be ridiculed or flamed, I for one get upset when it happens to me, but I have to admit I have a lot to learn from experienced converters and listen to them.

The source of distilled water and the size of misters sounds like the big problems to be considered. They may never be needed, having the extra water is a blessing for me to not worry about and who knows I may be able to help give 10 gallons or more to another busnut low on water etc. Again, THIS IS MY PERSONAL PLAN and I hope one day I can do just that for someone and the system never being used by me will have been worth it to help someone else who did.

Please post with "ACTUAL" results of your misting system, (pros & cons) and lets go from there with our final decision.

The furthest we may ever travel now because of fuel prices etc. now that I have been there will probably be (Palmetto Cove RV Park) at Cleveland, SC, 38 miles away. LOL.
Gary
Jim and Myrna Lawrence (Daffycanuck)
Registered Member
Username: Daffycanuck

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 69.19.14.39

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   

OK here is my experience....I've been using this setup for 8 years.

I've installed a dash controlled '12v electric' air solenoid to control water from my house water tank. The nozzle is a 'spinning' garden type fed by a 1/4" line. Although this has been working just great, the nozzle could be a little finer, thus using less water.

I notice a bit of mineral buildup, but nothing to be concerned about.....after 8 years of use, and I use it lots as we do a lot of mountain driving. If it ever becomes a problem, a spray with a mineral remover would be in order.

What I do notice is a buildup of MUD from the dust in the air and from the road. An occasional quick wash with a hose cleans it out.

My house water is filtered first with a sand filter, then with a charcoal filter. We do have and RO unit, but the rad spray water is not RO water.

Spraying with distilled water would be very expensive and not necessary....my opinion.
Rad with water spray
Arnie Molloy (Ayjay)
Registered Member

Post Number: 78

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   

Hi:
larry,
My bus was converted and operated in AZ. and came with the mister system installed (directional plastic flower misting heads in/on 1/4" tubing). whoever did the job mounted a section of 4" turkey wire to the outer radiator frame and tied the misters and tubing to it (8 in all).
It originally had a windshield washer pump that was bad when I bought the Bus. I removed it and installed a solenoid valve in place of the washer pump and used the same wiring (from the Dash), connected the "in" of the valve to my Ice maker filter that is connected to my house water system....
NO additional tanks to worry about and the filter element produces a potable water (+ Ice)....more than good enough for a misting system. Don't get Anal about water minerals... If you've ever been to Mexico they use misting systems all day long to keep the open areas habitable ..... would you drink their water????
In the 5 years that I've owned the Bus, and for however long before I bought it, there is NO rust, corrosion, discoloration on the radiator and tranny cooler other than what you'd find an any 26 year old Bus.

AyJay

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration