Bus that has sat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » July 2007 » Bus that has sat « Previous Next »

Doug J 4104 (Doug_j)
Registered Member
Username: Doug_j

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 69.66.77.196

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:21 am:   

I am looking at a bus conversion that has sat for 2 1/2 years. What are some things one should question/look for specifically when inspecting?
Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach)
Registered Member
Username: Cowlitzcoach

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 204.245.250.49

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   

Unless the price is very affordable, another bus conversion.

Seriously, all of the rubber products will need very careful inspection--tires, belts, hoses, bags, seals, etc.

If it has been 2 1/2 years since the engine has been turned over, be careful when turning it over. The rings may have rusted to the sides of the cylinders. Starting the engine may cause the rings to break or crack the pistons.

If the bus has an automatic transmission the seals may be shot. It also may take quite a while to pump oil back into the torque convertor and the rest of the transmission. Don't try to move anything until the transmission shifts from forward to reverse easily.

If the bus has a manual transmission, the clutch face may have rusted to the flywheel. It will be very difficult to get the clutch to release if it has.

The emergency brakes may have rusted the linings to the drums. Trying to move the bus may cause the linings to shear off of the brake shoes.

Check the backs of all of the wheels to see if the wheels seals are weeping. check the oil level in the rear end. After this much time you may find the rear gears have rust on them--it could cause problems when you try to move the bus. Also, don't forget the oil levels in the tag/bogey and front axles.

Good luck.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
Jerry Liebler (Jerry_liebler)
Registered Member
Username: Jerry_liebler

Post Number: 261
Posted From: 67.141.35.124

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   

I agree with everything Mark thought of and want to add Wheel bearings are probably bad as they don't like to sit and will develop flats, plan on replacing all wheel bearings within the first few hundred miles. It's much cheaper to replace them before they fail. I know I bought a bus that had sat and had a rear wheel bearing fail, a $4000 lesson.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 4.240.237.56

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   

Good to have you "back", Mark... :-)

RCB
Laryn Christley (Barn_owl)
Registered Member
Username: Barn_owl

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 151.199.10.206

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:06 am:   

Doug,

Somewhere between the previous posts and this one you should find your answer. My father bought a seated 4106 sight unseen that had sat in a field in Provo UT for a couple of years (not even a photo!). He changed the fluids, filters, some radiator hoses, and put in fresh batteries. He then drove it across country to Virginia. He blew out one tire that he should have changed anyway, but other than that, it was without incident.

Now I did almost the same thing. I bought in ‘06 a converted (in 1979) 4106 off of the internet that hadn’t left the owners driveway for 10 years. I bought my parents one way tickets to California and wished them well. I told my father to take care of whatever he thought he should before coming home. All he did was to check the fluid levels, change the oil and the fuel filters, and grease the zerk fittings. On 10 year old fuel, my parents drove it from Santa Paula to Monterey to see my brother and his wife. From there they went down to Las Vegas, up to Salt Lake City, and then home to Roanoke Virginia, totaling over 3500 miles before I even laid eyes on it. While parked in Monterey a front tire went flat, Good Sam’s ERS service sent a tire man out and he couldn’t find anything wrong so they pumped it up and it is doing fine. The only other problem was that the bus had a leaky power steering reservoir and my father put in the wrong fluids which I fixed when he got it home. The most amazing thing is that after 10 years everything works, and I haven’t had the problems that people mention as possibilities. If I had known about the bus conversion bbs and read about all of the possible things that could go wrong, I would have been scared into some sort of paralysis, and would still not have a bus. Now, I’m not saying that any one, or a combination of the above couldn’t happen, but I personally know two “sitters” that did just fine.

I'm not sure it really matters, but look at all of the running busses that are bought and the problems they have. My point is that you might get a bus that just came off a thousand mile trip and then ten miles up the road have bearing failure. Just because you have a problem with a “sitter” doesn’t mean it came from sitting. No matter the state of a bus when you get it, whether or not you have problems is like playing the odds. Some times you loose, some times you win. Either way, just have fun doing it.

My opinion,

Laryn

(Message edited by barn owl on July 25, 2007)
Tim Hoskinson (Tdh37514151)
Registered Member
Username: Tdh37514151

Post Number: 227
Posted From: 4.253.118.188

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:08 am:   

Hi Doug Laryn certainly hit the nail on the head. I'm not really sure where the information originated that wheel bearings go flat. The only place I have ever herd of this is here on this board.I don't want to say it could never happen but I have been working in the fields of electronic and mechanical repair for over thirty years now and I have never seen any infomation from a bearing manufacture stating a static weight time rating. I have also never had an antique vehicle that I have restored or worked on that after sitting for even twenty or more years has had a flattened bearing. I have seen clutches stick to flywheels and brake shoes stick to drums, rings stick to clynders and bearings rust up due to dried up grease. If this bus really has sat for only two or three years it is very unlikely that there is any of the major problems associated with long term non use. However its always best to look the bus over and even have someone go with you to help. If it is a vehicle you like you will over look what a neutral person will spot right off. Best of luck. Tim
Frank Allen (Frank66)
Registered Member
Username: Frank66

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 207.200.116.13

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:32 am:   

when i bought my 4106 it sat 2 yrs, i got it started up and drove it 250 miles, no problem at all except it smoked pretty bad, but after the first trip i quit. i have never seen wheel bearings go flat, however i have seen them get rusty from sitting. thats my 2 cents
Frank Allen
Kyle Brandt (Kyle4501)
Registered Member
Username: Kyle4501

Post Number: 352
Posted From: 65.23.106.193

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

I charged up the batteries on mine & It fired right off after sitting for over 1 1/2 years. It fired on the 2nd revolution & smoked white for 10 or 15 seconds & then clear.

That's the usual way it goes. BUT it's always best to be prepared for the worst, then the trip is fun when nothing catches you by surprise.

Have fun!
Don Evans (Doninwa)
Registered Member
Username: Doninwa

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 65.61.96.82

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   

One of the things that makes a big difference is where the bus sat. Is it in a moist coastal climate, dry, inside, under a weeping tree, in a dirt field with vegetation growing under it (moisture), ect.

Our 4107 had mostly sat for several years. It was in a hangar. Smoked and consumed oil like mad. By the time we got home, 650 miles, it settled down. Had a tire separate 1.5 miles from home. No other grief.

Don't know about wheel bearings going flat, have been around a lot of equipment and have seen corroded bearings from sitting, but flat?
Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach)
Registered Member
Username: Cowlitzcoach

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 204.245.250.17

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:36 am:   

Don makes some very good points about where the bus has been sitting.

If the bus has been sitting somewhere in the dry SW a lot of the issues that occur as a result of dampness will not occur.

If the bus has been sitting somewhere in the wet NW that is a horse of a different color.

Here in the wet NW, if the blackberry vines don't take over the green and black slime will turn a fairly nice looking bus into a really ugly mess.

The long cold wet and rainly days around here will cause any cloth in the interior to start to go bad. Even if it doesn't visibly look bad it will smell pretty bad.

If any food stuff has been left on the bus (shoved down inside the seats, under the seats, into the HVAC vents, etc.) it will grow mold really well with all of the moisture in the air. Add in a few warm days and you will have mold over any flat surface and particularly on any cloth surface.

If the body leaks anywhere, count on finding water in places water should never be found. If the moisture gets into the plywood in the floor you will have a real mess to fix before you can start on anything else.

Don't get me wrong. Just because it has not been run for a couple of years doesn't mean you can't find a pretty nice bus for a very affordable price.

Just be prepared to address issues that would not be an issue in a bus that has recently been taken out of service or has been used on a regular basis.

Good luck.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
JR Lynch (Njt5047)
Registered Member
Username: Njt5047

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 69.132.237.9

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   

If the bus starts without too much dinking, and it likely will, and the brakes aren't stuck...and it was in decent condition when parked, you may find that with minimal service, the coach is pretty functional.
As with all used coaches, check it out carefully. A lot of running buses aren't worth the power to blow'em to ...you get the picture.
Sitting for two years isn't a death warrant for a good piece of equipment. Even the fuel will burn if it's clean. After it runs, you'll want to service the unit and change all the filters anyway.
Best, JR

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration