Bus Trivia: Detroit Stove Top Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Bus Trivia: Detroit Stove Top « Previous Next »

Simon Ayriss (Design_dog)
Registered Member
Username: Design_dog

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 69.227.68.21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   

I almost didn't post this. But what the heck, here goes...

Since I posted a couple questions. Figured one more might be in order.

I recently just met a guy who at the age of around 70 is a not so retired Bus / Truck driver. He is a friend of my neighbor and been a driver all of his life.

Anyway. I took him back and showed him my bus and he told me all kinds of wondrous stories about "back in the day" when he used to drive Eagles (with of course the same 8V71 engine) for over 10 years. About him and his buddies used to joke about how they used to put her in low gear going up and down the hill sections, screaming away, and trying to blow her up (sort of), but never succeeded with their foot to the floor.

The one story he told me though: After driving Eagles, him and a few friends fixed up a bus and he was a driver for a band that he used to drive around everywhere.

Early on, (and he pointed around the engine,) he told me he used to put canned goods on the top of the old Detroit. Drive around, and Later on, the band would huddle around the engine compartment and help themselves to a "hot" dinner sitting round the 'ol back doors and shooting the breeze.
He said they did it all the time and that the DD made an excellent heat source since it got 100 and something degrees it would keep the food hot.
Now not sure, have ask him later, but seemed like he put it in while they were on the road, swear he said that, but I was so taken back by that. wow. Not sure if he let it sit after a good run then put them on. But swear he said drive around with them. Have to ask him again. He said they even wrapped things in tin-foil and put 'em on the 'ol Detroit to warm things up.
But anyway. There you have it. Stove Top Detroit.
Thought someone might get a kick out of it.
[Note: Under no circumstances should you try this at home. This was done by a professional and I'm not promoting anything here.]
I feel rest assured though, one day, if the world comes to an end, as long as I got my bus, some diesel and a can of chili beans. I'm good.

NON-RELATED SIDEBAR: On the back of the bus, if you replace with RV windows, do they have to be "escapable exit" for DOT regulations or is that "taken care of" with the back roof escape hatch?
Sorry. Not related to chili bean post but just a quick question.
Patrick levenson (Zubzub)
Registered Member
Username: Zubzub

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 70.55.151.54

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   

Saw a whole cookbook on how to cook on the road using the heat of gas V8 engines. Also saw a book on preparing road kill. haven't seen a book yet that shows how to prepare and cook roadkill by cooking it on your V8. Maybe there's some $ to be made there,or at least some stew. patrick.
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1980
Posted From: 75.108.79.214

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   

It was not unusual in the old days to use the manifold of a Model A to heat up and or cook food while on a trip.

I belonged to a Model A Ford restorers club in Arcadia, CA and we routinely made trips where we cooked lunch on the manifold.
Richard
Pete/RTS Daytona (Pete_rtsdaytona)
Registered Member
Username: Pete_rtsdaytona

Post Number: 386
Posted From: 208.118.13.244

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   

z

see-->
http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine

http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/FoodDrink/2007/06/27/4294941-cp.html
Pete/RTS Daytona (Pete_rtsdaytona)
Registered Member
Username: Pete_rtsdaytona

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 208.118.13.244

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   

see-->
http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine

http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/FoodDrink/2007/06/27/4294941-cp.html
Registered Member

Post Number: 45

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   

Richard,
I am not too far from Arcadia. Wish I had one but no Model A.
Although the weird weather out here has given us 110 heat days on end it seems.
Yesterday I felt my front stainless exposed in the sun and I swear I can cook eggs on it now.
Heck, I'm thinking eggs for everybody some smoked sausage and toast. Coffee's in the back.

Patrick. That got a laugh out of me.
Make a good cable show.
Someone could have Detroit cooking at their shop, although roadkill stew unless you got some good seasoning tips and the right veggies, I'm afraid I am not too sure of a money maker it may be. Although publish it, I'm in for $25. Add it to my can of chili beans and my world ending emergency kit.
Not that it would seem right, but wondering if you were up in Oregon or someplace and you accidentally ran into a deer. ?? Under extreme circumstances I guess it's better than eating your passengers. maybe.
It is Labor Day weekend isn't it? Heck. Don't listen to me.
Registered Member

Post Number: 46

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   

Great links Pete.
I never knew.
I love how they measure the cooking time by miles. Any-city Chicken Wings (sweet) - Cooking distance: 140-200 miles
also,"NEVER let the food interfere with the engine's moving parts
We want a great meal here, not a wrecked engine. And who would want to explain to the local mechanic why there's a piece of rump roast stuck in the [blower]timing belt? Always choose places that are static, and ensure they are not going to move."
I noticed they wrap the foil with the ends up.
This might be a good post for Zimtok.
Makes a good Christmas gift.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration