Pro's and Con's Silver Eagle vs... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Pro's and Con's Silver Eagle vs MCI « Previous Next »

Robert & Debra White (Rob_n_deb)
Registered Member
Username: Rob_n_deb

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 24.117.187.85

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   

We're close to buying our bus and have decided between two, we would like your input on how theses compare, maintenance, fuel, parts, and cost. Ride and drive, bus specifications
1990 MCI 102C3
8V-92, Auto, AC, PS

1984 Silver Eagle 6V92
& 4-Speed Allison AT
Thank you for your time Rob n Deb
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1293
Posted From: 67.181.189.94

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   

Robert & Debra -

All things considered, buy the NEWEST bus you can afford. That means the MCI.

MCI's +'s =

1. MCI's still in business, with six major service centers coast to coast. Plus hundreds of charter companies that run them nationwide, so service and parts are readily available.
2. 8V92TA puts out nearly 100 hp more than the 6V92 in the Eagle. Better for climbing Rocky Top, as long as you watch the temp gauges. A little thirstier, tho, unless you keep your speed down and you take off the lead-lined right shoe.
3. The 102C3 is not only six inches wider than the Eagle, it's also got 4" more headroom. Amazing how much this "opens up" the interior!

Eagle's +'s =

1. Torsilastic suspension, often toted as the most comfortable bus suspension ever built. Gives a slight "porpoise" front-to-back ride, as opposed to the side-to-side air suspension ride.

HOWEVER -

With the wide-body MCIs, the factory made some significant suspension changes, including the addition of anti-sway bars, which made a big improvement in the ride characteristics. Still not as comfortable as an Eagle, but close.

As for fuel mileage, 6 is average for either coach. When considering fuel stops, use a conservative 5 mpg for calculations. Depending on whether the MCI has a 144 or 176 gallon tank, either 500 miles or 650 miles between fill-ups will guarantee that you never run the tank dry. (Unless you use a diesel genset, in which case all bets are off!)

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 732
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   

Remember about the rust issues many on this board have had to deal with on older Eagles.
Andy Wright (Wrightwy)
Registered Member
Username: Wrightwy

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 70.193.135.55

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   

Well from the Eagle side of the story. This is my first Bus ,1968 ;silver Eagle Model 05. With a 8v92 DD and 740 4 speed Allision. I have owned 3 other MotorHomes all production models. We have taken this bus from Nevada to Arizona and now to billings Montana, and I must admit I am very pleased with the old Girl .I was a little concerned with the power climbing hills but after some instructions from the pervious owner I have got this one figured out lol so to speak. Now this bus is pretty much done with all the Bells and whistles. And we have plans to redue somethings like flooring and new furniture. Now I have noticed a lot of MCIs on the bus line and Iam sure they are a wonderful bus, Iam just one of those people that have to be different. That's my take for what it's worth .
Douglas Wotring (Tekebird)
Registered Member
Username: Tekebird

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 71.59.75.212

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   

I'll cover cons:

MCI Cons. Does not have torsilastic suspension

Eagle Cons: Probably rust
Expesive reidexing/replacement of Torsilastics

possible to get a bad apple in either.

As RJ said get the most modern and nicest you can afford.

Don't be swayed by any particular feature or interior as that is not what will give you problems
Gary LaBombard (Garylee)
Registered Member
Username: Garylee

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 64.12.117.73

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:50 am:   

RJLong & Douglas Wotring give absolutely the best advice to anyone choosing between the two choices given in this thread. ALSO GET IT INSPECTED no matter what bus you choose.
Gary
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 64.40.222.139

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:00 am:   

I own an 01 Ealge, but I will say don't be persuaded by looks from the outside, you gotta dig deep to see what maker them tick. Both coaches have good and bad points. I would do a lot of research on all that has been previously mentioned before opening my wallet. Making sure you made the best choice possible for the information received.

Happy Trail,

Paul
Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach)
Registered Member
Username: Cowlitzcoach

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 204.245.250.12

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:45 am:   

Ask a Chevy man about a Ford and you get one opinion. Ask a Ford man about a Chevy and you get an opinion.

Asking which is better, an Eagle or an MCI will tend to get you some of the same sort of answers.

What RJ said is probably the best advice--purchase the newest coach you can afford.

The biggest pro for the MCI is also the biggest con about the Eagle. And that is MCI is still in business and Eagle is not.

If all things are equal, my preference would be go with the HP. You may not need all of it but on a long uphill grade you will never be second guessing yourself about the choice you made.

You did not mention if the Eagle had power steering. You will need power steering. Maybe not this year but think about five or ten years down the road. Or perhaps think about your significant other driving the coach. Power steering should be a requirement in your search.

You also didn't mention the price difference between the two and what else you were getting for the price.

If they have yet to be converted, the quality and life left in the tires should be a non-issue. By the time you complete the conversion you will most likely need new tires anyway.

Relative age and expected remaining life of the engine should be reflected in the price.

The condition of the brakes and expected remaininng life in the brakes should be reflected in the price as well.

Before you put down your hard earned, be sure to have someone who really knows coaches look over your choice. Whatever you choose you will have to live with for quite a while. And unless your signigicant other is significantly different from my significant other, if you make the wrong choice you may end up sleeping in it by yourself.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 76.1.180.218

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   

Unless you are very familar with buses, pay an experinced bus mechanic to inspect any bus you want to plunk your money down on. It will be the best money you wil ever spend on the bus. Jack
Robert & Debra White (Rob_n_deb)
Registered Member
Username: Rob_n_deb

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 24.117.187.85

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   

Thank y’all so much for the information we have received….It make’s perfect sense to buy a newer model bus.and have it inspected by a pro, As I was typing the first thread I did not think to mention we have plans to install two slides one being 8’ and the other being 10’ this being said the MCI would be the better choice for us,,, also any one on this board have slides installed on their MCI we also would like to hear from you about what you did and not what you did on your slides…we have been contemplating slides for a long time, as were are full timers now in a 38’ HR ford 550 truck frame, and I don’t think personally its going to last us a long time,,,this is one reason why were converting to a bus, for the longevity of the coach, by doing our own lay out and build its going to suit our needs better then one already converted, We have no back ground in buses of any kind but have driven many 18 wheelers in our day and have a construction back ground for over 30 years in the building industry, also a short stint in aviation (5 years) as an air frame mechanic, so I am not afraid to cut no big holes in my bus and fear its going to collapse going down the highway,,, ,any and all information is greatly appreciated, Rob n Deb
Trying to get right the first time
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 71.101.55.168

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   

Everything above is correct. The last bus on my list when I was looking was a Eagle. They rust, no support, lots of other problems. Well I bought a Eagle, if I were buying one again I would buy a Eagle. If you are going to make lots of changes the Eagle is the only one that you can do this with ease. All of the buses have the same type of motors and drive trains, but the Eagle has a real frame that you can cut and past. What ever you buy make sure it is a 102 wide and the best that you can get.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration