Wheel Cleaning Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Wheel Cleaning « Previous Next »

Joebus (Joebus)
Registered Member
Username: Joebus

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 74.13.48.158

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   

Could someone suggest a product I could use to clean and polish my Alco wheels? I am not real good at any "high labor" process
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 64.40.222.139

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   

HIre a couple of kids and work 'em.

Just kidding. There are so many products that say very little labor required. I don't believe it. One product come to mind called Sheila Shine, never used it but it looks good. Some just buff the wheels and apply a wax coating like Turtle Wax.
Even heard reports of guys at truck stops that will do the job.

HTH,

Paul
Andy Wright (Wrightwy)
Registered Member
Username: Wrightwy

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 70.193.92.94

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   

The labor thing is a issue with me as well, However to make them shiny you can either pay the piper or use a polishing wheel I have see the kits for about 50 bucks like te different size wheel and you supply the power I bought some polish froma truck stop in phoenix comes ain a bottle and is green it's called Zephyr PRO 40 good stuff but you still have to rub I have also use Eagle one Never Dull Comes in a can and you can buy at wal mart Thats all I know Good luck. Andy
Bob Ayers (Califbob)
Registered Member
Username: Califbob

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 4.246.93.2

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   

aLCOAHAS THIER STUFF.FORGOTTHE NAME CHECK THEIR WEB SITE. tHEY WERE GIVING IT AWAY AT A FMCA RALLY WORKS GOOD BUT STILL NEED TO RUB.
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 76.223.90.238

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 5:35 am:   

Here is a real time saving tip. Whatever type of polishing compound you use remove it with a dry washcloth containing dry flour. It removes the black way quicker than flipping a dry towel. I work out of a 1lb coffee can.

You will be amazed.
Joebus (Joebus)
Registered Member
Username: Joebus

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 74.13.48.158

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:53 am:   

Thanks for the info, I had them done at Richmond speedway this last weekend, but the drive back to Canada in the rain (they got dry before I could wipe them)means doing it again.
Effort=results
Austin Scott Davis (Zimtok)
Registered Member
Username: Zimtok

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 216.37.73.226

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:00 am:   

I use the Eagle Aluminum Wheel Cleaner/Etching. I get it from AutoZone. One bottle is good for 2-3 cleanings on my 4104.

Spray it on and rinse it off. DONE.

Jeffrey Smith (Greenhornet)
Registered Member
Username: Greenhornet

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 198.136.32.74

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   

Her is a link to a longish article on the subject. Still a lot of sweat equity in the process, regardless.
http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/aluminum1.html
Justin Griffith (Justin25taylor)
Registered Member
Username: Justin25taylor

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 71.155.170.64

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   

Most of the "better" truck washes will do it pretty cheap. I can't remember exactly but I think $5-$8 per wheel. They clean/buff them then they seal them with some other product. Unless I am running in salt covered roads they stay shiny about 4-6 months.

If you have to get a wash done at a Blue Beacon or "Blue streak" as we call them, don't let them "flash" the wheels or they will dull in a few days.
I have never had any luck polishing them myself.

On Eagles I usually have the bumpers done too.
The XLII's and H3"s are usually painted.

If anyone knows what the "mystery" product is they seal the wheels with I would like to know. I have asked but they won't tell me.

I also have them done on my own Eagle and they last almost a year. But I only put 10-15k on my bus each year.

Best,
Justin

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration