Wheel seals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Wheel seals « Previous Next »

marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 76.4.149.200

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   

Hey ya'll I have a 78 mci-8 and pulled the rear wheel off and as you guessed the seal is wipped out. I was trying to find a part that will allow me to have a packed bearing instead of the oil from the rear end. I need pro and con and of course where to get it and part number and maybe I can get it local thanks Gomer
Bob Wies (Ncbob)
Registered Member
Username: Ncbob

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 70.221.166.81

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:29 am:   

Since chances are good that it's a Rockwell axle, if it's your drive axle, NAPA should carry the seal. By the way the replacements I bought for my MCI were made by C/R. I don't have an MC8 Parts book but if you can get the MCI Part # they should be able to cross it over.

Bob
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 12.77.116.8

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:06 am:   

Gomer, on your question of the sealed bearing versus open bearing with external seal, I'd be a little bit careful here. I have no experience with bus or heavy-duty wheel bearings in particular, but in some car designs an open bearing is chosen so that it gets washed with lube from a larger supply. If the design is to have axle or hub lube circulate to the bearing, you'd be replacing that ability to circulate (and bring fresh lube/carry away heat/clean contaminants, etc.) with a bearing that has to rely on what lube was sealed into it at the factory (or at least packed into it by the installer).

Sorry I can't speak from direct bus experience here but "light-duty" theory says to be careful. It *might* work but you're experimenting with a carefully designed layout in a very demanding load area.

I think that what I'd do is stay with the original design, being sure of course that the area that the seal lip rubs on is smooth and true, you have the best quality seal available, your bearing is in good shape (a lot of seal damage is done by bearings that are worn, allowing shafts to "bounce" up and down or move axially), etc.
Jim Wilke (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 69.77.151.201

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:07 am:   

Marvin,
You asked for pros & cons & I suspect you know them since you are thinking to change, but here is my understanding.
Oil lubricated wheel bearings are great if the vehicle will be driven on a fairly regular basis to circulate the lube oil. They have the advantage that as long as the oil level is correct as seen through the rubber plug, you are certain that your bearings have good lubrication. Adding lube is easy, unlike greased bearings. Greased bearings, on the other hand, are thought to be the best way for a vehicle that is NOT used regularly as the grease will stay on all surfaces in the hub, preventing rust. In addition, the grease normally will stay in the hub when stationary, unlike oil which will leak out slowly if the seals are less than perfect.

BTW, be sure to check the surface on the axle tube where the seal rides. There are sleeves to repair these if worn.
Jim-Bob
Ed Roelle (Ed_roelle)
Registered Member
Username: Ed_roelle

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 68.85.142.109

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:39 am:   

Why did the seal fail?

I had a similar dilima. My seal was being "worked" as the wheel rotated.

Check the underside of the axle for wear from a spinning bearing. I investigated repairing mine, but options were either expensive or a non-robust band-aid. Luke convinced me to change to grease for the reasons that Jim mentioned. Luke sold me the parts and I had them in 2 days.

Other bearings and races may be fine. In my experience, I always specify Timken.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   

Change to grease, and you can get synthetic wheel bearing grease to keep almost all of the benefit of low rolling resistance. Many here have had to deal with oil on brake linings at one time or the other but rarely getting grease on brakes. You loose a lot of braking capacity with oily shoes on one rear assy. Also a messy job to repair out on the road. And with as much sitting time as some of our coaches do, the seals can take a set and start leaking. Even if they don't take a set, the seal lip will eventually wear out.
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member

Post Number: 97

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   

Chessie I am leaning toward grease but I can't find info for the parts. do you or anybody have those available. thanks Gomer
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   

The easiest and simplist would be to give Luke a call; he can fix you right up. Someone on the board may have the correct part numbers.
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1071
Posted From: 74.12.73.114

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   

Luke: 888-262-2434

Eastern Time

happy coaching!
buswarrior
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member

Post Number: 99

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   

thanks all for the info. I will not be on-line for a few day since getting a call that my mom is in Hospice. will be back soon

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration