Newbie questions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Newbie questions « Previous Next »

Kevin Mossman (Ktmossman)
Registered Member
Username: Ktmossman

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 76.97.220.57

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:13 am:   

I have just started kicking the idea of a bus conversion around and, the more I learn, the more excited I am. So, I have proceeded to the next step of trying to get my hands around how much this will cost, which is where my questions come in at this point (though I am sure there will be many more later.) I think I have come up with a basic premise to govern my build:

KNOW THYSELF. As I tend more toward the "geek" side of the spectrum, there are some things I should not attempt. The thought of me with welding equipment should probably have some type of federal warning attached. Carpentry, plumbing, "house" electrical -- these I can do (or bribe friends to do.) AC/Heat are in the grey area. Driveability (drivetrain, steering, dash) and body work (rust abatement, body mods, etc.) should be left to the experts.

Which brings me to my first question:

I thought I had found the perfect assistance in that endeavor when I came across "busconversions101." However, research on that particular establishment makes me a bit wary. So, I am looking for someone else.

Preferably, I would like to find one source who can:

1. Assist in the acquisition of a bus (leaning towards and MCI 102 *3 at this point.
2. Rebuild/replace/repair drivetrain, steering, brakes, axles, etc. as desired.
3. Address all body work (rust abatement, blankouts, roof raise, end caps, salon door, etc.)

Essentially, I want to find someone who can help me find a quality bus and deliver a "ready to build" shell that I don't have to worry about.

Which brings me to another question... On busconversions101, there are discussions of two things which I can't find reference to anywhere else on the web: rear clip extension and moving the radiators. Are these a unique gimmick to that establishment or are they done by others as well?

Also (and probably most important,) are the prices on busconversions101 (for the above scenario) in the ballpark of what I should expect to pay or are they "lowballing"?

Thanks for all the good info...
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 638
Posted From: 76.1.180.218

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:42 am:   

I think busConversions101 is owned and operated by a man named Saw Walker. This person has been convicted of taking customers money and delivering NOTHING in return. Do Not go near this person. The rear clip mods and radiator changes are absolutely not necessary. If you are interested in a 102*3, that coach should need no mods before starting a conversion. There are many 102s that are in good mechanical shape.
Where are you located? The reason I ask is that there are small bus conversion rallies around the country. Attending one of these would be the best thing for you to do. Give you a chance to see different conversions and talk to people with conversions. The next big bus conversion rally will be in Arcadia, Florida from December 29 through January 1, 2008. That rally usually has 160-180 coaches in attendance. Jack
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1986
Posted From: 75.108.79.214

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:54 am:   

I believe the name is Sam Walker. He was run out of Florida and ended up in PA. Last year he was arrested for the things that Jack outlined. Run,Run as fast as you can it the best advice you will ever get.

Do a search on both this site and here also:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/

Richard
Ed Roelle (Ed_roelle)
Registered Member
Username: Ed_roelle

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 68.85.142.109

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:38 am:   

I was where you are, many years ago.

Take one step at a time. I never could see myself as a welder before, but I learned from a community education class. I never could see myself painting, but I did. I never thought I could make cabinets, but I did, they were excellent, and I enjoyed it. Many bus nuts will give you guidance. Like Jack said, attend rallies to meet people and get ideas.

You said KNOW THYSELF. The one personal trait that you need is perseverance. The conversion and repairs will take anywhere from 8 months to 15+ years. If you get discouraged, it will be a costly experience.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Nick Badame Refrigeration Co. (Dnick85)
Registered Member
Username: Dnick85

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 70.208.142.244

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:11 am:   

Hi Kevin,

Here is some more to read about Sam Walker before you get involved with him.
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=559.0

Nick-
Kevin Mossman (Ktmossman)
Registered Member
Username: Ktmossman

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 76.97.220.57

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   

I had read all of the discussions regarding Sam Walker. Which is why I'm interested in finding someone else who offers similar services. It is also what makes me suspicious of the prices he lists.
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 12.77.43.171

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   

I suggest you contact Bruce Basden at Vulcan Coach 101 Vulcan Park Drive Hueytown, AL 35023 Phone: (205) 491-0081 Fax: (205) 491-0083 Email: bbay8@aol.com

When you started working in your father's bus conversion business in 1964 and now run it, you're definitely not fly-by-night! Very experienced, very knowledgeable.
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 503
Posted From: 66.217.100.56

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   

The easy part first:

----
"Preferably, I would like to find one source who can:

1. Assist in the acquisition of a bus (leaning towards and MCI 102 *3 at this point.
2. Rebuild/replace/repair drivetrain, steering, brakes, axles, etc. as desired.
3. Address all body work (rust abatement, blankouts, roof raise, end caps, salon door, etc.)

Essentially, I want to find someone who can help me find a quality bus and deliver a "ready to build" shell that I don't have to worry about. "

---

Either ABC bus, or MCI, has great deals on used buses, fully
guaranteed and ready to roll. You'll pay a premium, but it'll be
as safe as any commercial bus can be.

The more difficult part is the "roof raise, end caps, salon door, etc".
For that, you'll need one of the aforementioned shops.

The important questions are:
1. Do I absolutely have to have "a roof raise, end cap.s, salon door, etc"?
2. Do I have a place next to my home to work on the beast?
3. Am I prepared to take a major financial loss if health or financial problems cause me to abandon the project?
4. Am I an experienced camper; have I owned a motorhome before?
5. Do I really need anything bigger than most campgrounds, back roads, and parking areas can accommodate?

Rushing into this, is worse than rushing into marriage.
Larry & Lynne Dixon (Larry_d)
Registered Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 71.117.182.64

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   

Kevin
One other way is possible. I knew I did not have enough money and time to do the conversion my wife and I wanted. We searched for 2 yrs or more looking at every converted bus for sale, looking for one that suited our purpose. We finally found one meeting our needs and at pennies on the dollar for what it cost the man to convert the bus, we have made very few changes and invested little money after purchase. Just another way to look at a conversion. 4905 Larry PS we love the GMC and have loved the time spent
Roger Dalke (Roger_d)
Registered Member
Username: Roger_d

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 216.194.67.193

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   

Larry is right. There are so many busses for sale that are already done, and you can buy at pennies to the dollar. Some of them are real nice too. Take my advice(I didn't) make sure you have it inspected by a truck/bus repair shop BEFORE putting down any money. The conversion part won't cost nearly as much as a poor chassis (rust-wear-bad tires-bags,etc,etc)I bought a shell (mc7) that was missing parts it was supposed to have,caps installed over rotten metal,electrical nighmares,air leaks everywhere, the list goes on and on. Probably will end up in a wrecking yard:-( . If the owner refuses to allow an inspection, just walk away. It's the best decision you'll ever make.
niles steckbauer (Niles500)
Registered Member
Username: Niles500

Post Number: 779
Posted From: 72.91.168.92

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   

I used to think that ABC was OK too, but after hearing that at least one of their GM's recommended multi-grade oil in 2 stroke DD's - I gotta question their credibility - FWIW

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration