RV Parking in Missoula, MT Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » RV Parking in Missoula, MT « Previous Next »

Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 63.97.117.46

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   

As some of you may remember I emailed the City Council of Missoula and complained that they were an RV unfriendly city. I got lots of response to this and the final outcome was that we can park at WalMart.

Today I received another email from the most friendly member of the city council which is quoted below.

"Gus and others,

Here is the approved language to the change in our camping in vehicles ordinance. Please note that the parking lots of businesses like Walmart are not the public right of way and are completely unregulated by the city in terms of this ordinance. This ordinance strictly relates to the road. The piece about a tenant’s guest is to create a provision for folks who have guests come to town and stay in their RV out front. Thank you for raising the issue and continuing to take an interest in our community. Hopefully this addresses your concerns with the previous ordinance. Please share this with others who may be interested.

Thank you,

Bob Jaffe

Missoula City Council, Ward 3

bjaffe@ci.missoula.mt.us

406-728-1052

Section 10.22.190. Parking for camping purposes.

A. No person shall sleep in a parked motor vehicle on a public right of way in the city between the
hours of 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM except that a property owner or tenant may allow a guest's vehicle to be parked on the public right of way adjacent to their residence for sleeping purposes for a maximum of three consecutive days without violating this provision .

B. It is unlawful for any person to dump or deposit any sink water or sewage from a motor vehicle or vehicle designed for camping anywhere except in a disposal site approved by the city-county health department.

C. The penalty for a violation of subsection 10.22.190(A) shall be a fine only of up to $100.00 with no penalty of imprisonment. The penalty for a violation of subsection 10.22.190(B) shall be a fine only of up to $500.00 with no penalty of imprisonment. This penalty conflicts with the Montana State law penalty.

Montana State law's penalty may be applied if the person is cited pursuant to Montana State law."

Anyone heading that direction might want to make a copy of this just in case but I really don't think there will be any problem.

I also have an email from a Missoula Police Sgt. saying there is no problem.

I also have an email from the Mayor of Billings clearing us to park at WM in case anyone wants it.
niles steckbauer (Niles500)
Registered Member
Username: Niles500

Post Number: 780
Posted From: 72.91.168.92

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   

Nice job of taking care of the problem Gus - its this kind of 'heads up' and respectful dealing with local politicians that evenly and straightforwardly puts the position of respectful, law abiding citizens in the correct light for honest public servants to review and evaluate the bureaucratic morass that sometimes confronts us - Please pass on to Mr. Jaffe the appreciation of at least this citizen to his prompt and measured clarification of the rule of law in Missoula - I for one feel more comfortable visiting his town as it appears he is also concerned about having us visit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration