Help! I am new and going to look at ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2007 » September 2007 » Help! I am new and going to look at my first bus « Previous Next »

John Kikta (Eznuff)
Registered Member
Username: Eznuff

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 12.4.141.8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:00 am:   

I am not a bus person yet. I am an industrious RVer who wants to convert a bus to an RV. I have looked around online at many, many buses and prices, but I have never driven or inspected a bus.

In my looking, I have attracted a seller who wants to wheel and deal on a bus. It is certainly within my price range, but is lacking a few things I think I'd like (like an automatic transmission). It is also set up as a coach that I would need to gut out.

The bus is a 1979 MCI-9 Motorcoach with a Detroit engine and a standard transmission. The odometer reads 750,000.

What should I ask for other than maintenance records? And what should I be looking for in the maintenance records? What should I look for when I go look at it? I have heard some recommend a bus consultant/broker -- where might I find one?

I have no confidence (because I am new) in what I am doing and don't want to make a big mistake. I also don't want to waste the seller's time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1302
Posted From: 67.181.189.94

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:28 am:   

John -

1. DON'T buy the first "deal" you run across. It's easy to buy a bus, it's far more difficult to sell a mistake.

2. Have the bus inspected thoroughly by a bus mechanic, not a truck facility. And DON'T use someone recommended by the seller!! Call around to various charter bus outfits and see who'd be willing to help. Better to spend a couple hundred bucks on a competent inspection than a couple thousand on a mistake.

3. If seller will not let you have it inspected by an independent facility - walk away. Period.

4. Buy the NEWEST coach available, even if it stretches your budget a little.

5. Buy a coach with the powertrain in it that you want. If you want an automatic, then buy a coach so equipped. You'll spend far more cursing and converting than having bought what you wanted in the first place.

6. Put your City & State in your profile - there's possibly another busnut nearby who could help out a newbie.

7. Get involved in the other bus bulletin boards and do LOTS of homework before you spend your $$. Besides this great board, there's also MAK Publishing's www.busconversions.com and the MCI (or GMC or Eagle or Prevost) busnuts forums located within Yahoo Groups.

8. DON'T HURRY!! It can easily take several months to a year or more to find the right coach.

9. If a seller really wants to "wheel & deal" on a coach, be very careful. Should throw up lots of red flags. (See #1 above.) If you absolutely have to make him an offer, take his asking price and cut it in half, then cut the results in half again. Offer him one third of this final number and see what happens.

10. Unless you're buying directly from a bus company that's owned the coach from new, chances are slim and none that there will be maintenance records available.

11. Corrosion issues can be very expensive to fix. #1 item to look carefully for when inspecting a chassis. Units from the Southwest generally are in better condition than those from the Northeast in this regard. But bus dealers, especially the two big boys (ABC & MCI), are not beyond shifting inventory around, so tracking a coach's origins can be a challenge.

12. Don't be afraid to ask for help here and on the other boards.

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
John Kikta (Eznuff)
Registered Member

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 12.4.141.8

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:38 am:   

A few followups:

I added my city and state to my profile.

I just think I want an automatic, but what are the pros and cons?

The owner is very motivated and needs to sell the bus quickly. It has not been used much and is costing him alot to store it. He said it has only been driven about 100 miles in the last year. I realize that is not a good thing.

RJ, thanks for the great advice.
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 209.183.32.47

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:06 am:   

Every Owner that is selling a bus is motivated! You mentioned you preffered an automatic, wait until you find one with an automatic. Changing one over to what you want adds more dollars to someone elses pocket. Get what you want and can afford.
Good Luck and I hope you find the right one.
Douglas Wotring (Tekebird)
Registered Member
Username: Tekebird

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 71.59.75.212

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:35 am:   

you have a qualified Busnut right in your back yard. 2nd generation in fact
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 207.231.75.253

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:57 am:   

John,
Some things to think about.
1. You have done the right thing by asking here before buying. Be very certain you follow the advice about QUALIFIED INDEPENDENT inspection.
2. All of the advice above is correct. Unless the bus you mentioned was owned by a school or church, it has 3 times the mileage on it that the odometer shows. (Doesn't mean a thing)
3. It is 28 years old. My MCI is 38 years old.
4. Expect to find many small things wrong with the bus.
Have you driven this bus yet? If not, and if the inspection comes back favorable, insist on the seller taking you for a long ride. Licensing will be an issue as it is still a seated coach. I feel you must drive it in different traffic conditions before you buy, maybe a learner's permit with the seller?
That's the bad news. An MC9 is one of the most common well-used buses on the road, and all of the parts are readily available. If you have a lot of perseverance, and some construction talent, you can make one heck of a motor home, and hopefully enjoy doing it!
Off the top of my pointed head, and without looking at recent listings, and of course not having a clue to condition, I would think that a good 9 from a motivated seller would be worth under 10 grand?
Good luck, and welcome!
George
Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach)
Registered Member
Username: Cowlitzcoach

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 204.245.250.41

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:23 am:   

Price is more of a function of what doesn't need fixing more than anything else.

If someone is trying to sell you a seated coach, particularly one with a standard transmission, then don't pay a lot.

Bus prices are considerably lower now than in the most recent past. As more and more coach companies comply with the ADA requirements, non-ADA compliant coaches are going to become less and less valuable on the used market. With the cost of converting a coach to ADA requirements in the $20K neighborhood most coach companies are opting to upgrade to newer equipment.

If you don't mind wearing out your left leg shifting in traffic and if your significant other never plans to drive your bus a standard tranmsission isn't a bad idea. IMHO, a standard transmission is a real liability. Not only because I am getting to the point I like shifting less and less, but if you should ever want to resell later it won't be a selling point.

In the bus world a 1979 model bus in great condition is not that unusual. It will most probably have 2 or 3 million miles on the body. But if the body is in good condition, the power package is not all worn out, tires and brakes with service life left in them, and the suspension not all worn out it might be a good deal.

Which all comes down to how good of a deal is it? I know of someone who just purchased a MC-8 shell that had new caps and a roof raise for $5K. In that case, even if the power package was a basket case the bus had enough upgrades to be well worth the $$$.

Good luck and don't fall in love with the first one unless the $$$ are right.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA

P.S. Did I say I wouldn't want a stick shift? DID YOU HEAR THAT ABOUT AUTOMATICS ARE A REAL PLUS? MRO
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 71.58.117.21

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   

Can't beleive you live that close- is this coach down at the Blft. airport?
John Kikta (Eznuff)
Registered Member

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 71.58.118.167

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   

No, it's in NY. Send me an email. I'd like to talk to you. BTW, I work with your nephew's wife.
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 71.101.55.168

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   

RJlong said all you need to know. Read it three times and go back and read again.
Lots of luck on what ever you buy
Rob Pacella (Rap16823)
Registered Member
Username: Rap16823

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 12.177.54.20

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   

John,

I know of a few MCI buses close to you. I can give you more details if you want call me 883-2035

Rob
Jeffrey Smith (Greenhornet)
Registered Member
Username: Greenhornet

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 76.110.30.60

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 10:13 am:   

7) months, years.....yup yup...I am proof of that!
Still looking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration