Does anyone actually have propane inj... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » Does anyone actually have propane injection? « Previous Next »

Moe Hollow (Moehollow)
Registered Member
Username: Moehollow

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 71.102.20.26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   

I saw something on a different board that started me thinking about this. I have read a bit on the subject and considered doing some experiment with it, but wondered if anyone here has a working system. I would be primarily concerned with using it without turbo.
Nellie Wilson (Vivianellie)
Registered Member
Username: Vivianellie

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 76.68.203.15

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   

May be different from what you're talking about, but I had propane injectors on both my previous motor homes (see thread: Gas Engines for Campers).

But neither had turbo... and both were gas.

I have a mechanic buddy though - who does have diesel turbo - and a propane gen set. He says - in an emergency - they bypass the gen to START their engine. Can't vouch for that, though... never seen it actually happen. Sounds more like a substitute for 'ether start' than something they actually run with.

Can't reach him to ask because they're already cruising (*&$%*). But emailed him about the Arcadia frenzy. He might even show...but who knows?

Nellie Wilson
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 1247
Posted From: 71.58.110.9

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   

found this site:http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/testimonials.html
Dan West (Utahclaimjumper)
Registered Member
Username: Utahclaimjumper

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 208.66.38.60

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   

Its really not propane "injection", its propane "mixing" (been doin it for ten years now)>>>Dan
Moe Hollow (Moehollow)
Registered Member

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   

Dan,
It would seem that the word "injection" is misused. I saw one site that called it "infusion", which is better. Mixing works too. What have you been using it on and what results have you gotten?
Registered Member

Post Number: 134

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   

Moe, real simple "on demand" system, engine is 8V71-A timed, N65 injectors, 4106 sports car.
I use it for grades and hill climbing here in the western states.>>>Dan
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 641
Posted From: 207.231.75.253

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   

Moe,
Its in the archives, not too far back. As to your exact question, I don't remember if anyone actually had done it on a bus.
HTH,
George
Moe Hollow (Moehollow)
Registered Member

Post Number: 82

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   

Dan, I also have a non turbo 8V71 but with C60 injectors. I would be looking for a boost in climbing. What sort of power/mph improvement do you experience? I guess you are happy with the results if you have been using it that long. Do you use high pressure propane or low pressure off your domestic tanks?

George, Thanks for the directions. I really want info from someone that has done or is doing it. I am not much interested in hypothetical opinions on this.

(Message edited by moehollow on December 03, 2008)
Registered Member

Post Number: 135

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:34 am:   

Moe, Ive got a 68 gal. lay down tank in my coach, I use propane for for a frig. combo, cooking, two furnaces, hot water, and a very nice boost for the drive engine. I use a regulator to control pressure at the blower intake and 12 volt lock-off valves to control demand, this = a very nice boost in mid range rpm
with out increasing heat.>>>Dan
Patrick levenson (Zubzub)
Registered Member
Username: Zubzub

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 76.68.229.67

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:33 am:   

is there a chance you have any pics of this installation. ie where/how do you feed the propane in?
Moe Hollow (Moehollow)
Registered Member

Post Number: 83

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   

Dan, Thanks for the info. I would appreciate any more you can give. If you are using a separate regulator for the engine propane, does that mean that it is not going through the house regulator and is on a separate high pressure line? Feel free to email if you want to continue off board.
Grant Thiessen (Busshawg)
Registered Member
Username: Busshawg

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 206.45.93.160

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   

There are a few truck owner operators in our area and I haven't heard any negative comments so far from them. They say it's also helping with economy somewhat, not alot, but does help.
Registered Member

Post Number: 137

Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   

Moe, for some reason the last two e-mails to you have been rejected by your system.>>>Dan
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 699
Posted From: 70.157.211.161

Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:00 am:   

I realize that off-hand comments are unwanted, but many of
us out here would really appreciate the dialog that's "happening"
in your circle!

For us, please ignore comments you may find objectionable,
and keep your discussion online? It will not only benefit the
present readers, but it'll live in the archives for all future busnuts.

(Message edited by john_mc9 on December 06, 2008)
Registered Member

Post Number: 140

Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   

John, back when God was a pup there were many posters on the boards that havent been heard of for many years, George Lawrey had a 4106 with a 903 Cummins and the BULLYDOG PROPANE SYSTEM. He got me interested in using propane as an accelerant in fuel, in those days the bullydog system was about $900.00 and I did not want to spend that much but was still interested. We began to post different posabilities on the boards as I built my system and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE, we were accused of trying to blow up everyones engines and destroy half the free world!!....so we made a pac to not speak of it again on the boards. Every once in a while the subject re-appeares and I get pulled into it all over again with predictable results, all the "EXPERTS" tell all that it cant be done with out serving up your first born. Many times I am approched at rallies by people who are in the position I was back then, and they are amazed at how simple it can get and work so well, many are now using there own system and loveing it and they also know the hazards of speaking of it.>>>Dan
Tom Christman (Tchristman)
Registered Member
Username: Tchristman

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 66.218.33.156

Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   

The nice think about Propane is it is a flammable gas-meaning it needs a spark or flame to ignite it. So the compression heat of a Diesel will not fire it off, hence injecting it through the blower is not a problem. The normal Diesel ignition is what ignites the propane. This system has been used for years-commonly called a dual fueled engine. At many sewage pumping facilities, they use Diesel engines that burn the methane gas from the decomp chambers. They usually use 10% Diesel (like a spark plug) and 90% register gas. Good Luck, TomC
[P.S.- the difference between flammable and combustible- Flammable needs a flame or spark, and Combustible needs heat to start the flame]
Cullen Newsom (Cullennewsom)
Registered Member
Username: Cullennewsom

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 98.201.161.214

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   

Dan,

Disregard those that would stifle free speech to protect us from your propane-fueled terrorism. You must fight the power! Or else we will never be free of the tyranny of mediocre arm-chair "Experts" and ninnies, and their incessant whining from the Peanut Gallery.

http://www.skippypodar.net/Noise/StewieGriffin/famguy55.wav

-Cullen
Kasse Weikel (More_s_than_as)
Registered Member
Username: More_s_than_as

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 71.84.122.200

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   

since this thread is kind of old, i guess my 2 cents are for the archives

i know a bit about turbos and hopping up fuel systems when i was in high school and that stupid "the fast and the furious" movie came out. EVERYONE in hte auto shops were putting nitrous systems and turbos on their rides cause they wanted more power. once they had it they used it and blew up their engines.

why "all the experts" say that this will blow up your engine is common sense (if its not common sense to you it would take a minute to explain, mainly your pushing the engine further that it was designed to be pushed). the balance lies in what YOU want. if you need more power on a smaller block and cant afford a new one, add a turbo and hop up the fuel system, just start saving for that bigger block, and use the extra power out of need and not want. ;-p

there is a post somewhere on this site talking about adding a small sprayer that wets (externally) your radiator for long climbs. this sounds like a cheap addition using little water and should be considered as well if one is adding a turbo because it is well known turbo chargers = increased heat.
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 616
Posted From: 75.210.21.18

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   

Now there's a man who searches (reads) the Archives....

Thanx Kasse...good post. :-)

RCB

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration