Winter Woes and Air Frames Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » Winter Woes and Air Frames « Previous Next »

Nellie Wilson (Vivianellie)
Registered Member
Username: Vivianellie

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 70.49.114.56

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   

Well, I was going to post this on the 'Hanging Low' thread (below) but it had gotten so long, figured nobody would scroll down that far. Besides, this is a little off topic. I said (on that other thread) I'd post a report if anything noteworthy happened.

Well, I never got to my garage with the lift because old Nomad wouldn't start... reached in to touch the manifold (checking for warmth) and got a nice little buzz. Lucky it wasn't a big ZAP - and lucky the bus didn't catch fire - because the cord to the block heater was bare and halfway cut (worn) through. Anyway, the block heater wasn't working.

But I replaced the cord and checked the actual element for 'continuity' (a new word to me) and it checked out. Anyway, I've got another if it doezn't woork (had to buy the complete unit to get the cord).

BUT I got the bus started and manged to get on some ramps. Hole in the air frame. Another one! The first one I had welded and it seems okay. To weld THIS one will require removing the air bag. I'll most likely have to torch the bolts off, so I'll probably need a new bag even if this one is okay. I'll CERTAINLY need all new rings and bolts and nuts. (Sigh).

What to do, what to do?

A Bus Nut friend and fellow musician (thanks Charlie) says to 'plate it.' Says I don't have to do all at once, just start replacing as needed. Sounds like good advice to me, but what do you guys think?

He gave me the number of someone named 'Luke.' I guess the same Luke you guys always talk about?

Will I EVER get this thing on the road? Oh well, at least I got my album finished. Now if I could just get out there, play some gigs and sell a few songs. But what the heck...

Merry Christmas!

Nellie Wilson
Glenn Williams (Glenn)
Registered Member
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 216.163.57.189

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   

If your musician friend is a huge Harley Davidson fan, then yes, he is right. I bought my first bus from him. Replace this airbag with a plated model and it will bypass/eliminate the airframe. Once they start to rust out, they just keep going! Luke at US coach is a great resource. You can also contact Mohawk. I understand they are the ones who engineered the replacement plating system (so they told me). I have had great service from both. I know Mohawk sells the bag complete with rings, bolts, washers and nuts. Just keep plugging along!

Good Luck!
Glenn
Ednj (Ednj)
Registered Member
Username: Ednj

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 67.85.237.82

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   

Charley is right.
Yes, Do call Luke.
Just to sponge up some of his knowledge on a very comfortable phone conversation is worth it.
(856)794-3104
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 899
Posted From: 71.54.29.215

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   

If the leak is in the air beam (frame), you will need to plate both air bags on that air beam. Jack
Nellie Wilson (Vivianellie)
Registered Member
Username: Vivianellie

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 70.49.114.56

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   

Well, yes he is Glenn... a Harley wacko. Hey, that's a story - my bus acquisition began as a trade deal for my Harley. And don't worry, I am definitely plugging. Constantly. But more like a golf ball on a soggy fairway than a determined plow horse.

Next question: Can I continue to use the existing (double-convoluted) airbags? And do I keep the existing bead rings on the bag(s) and bolt them to the plates... or what?

And thanks, EdNj - I'll call Luke manana, give him your regards. And, Jack... I'll order two.

Thankee, gents

Nellie Wilson
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 900
Posted From: 71.54.29.215

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   

To install block off plates, you remove the bolts that connect the top of the air bag to the air beam. You then install the block-off plate between the top of the air bag and the bottom of the air beam and bolt everything back together. You have to use longer bolts to compensate for the thinkness of the air beam. Only other task is to move the air lines from the air beam to both block-off plates
Cameron Jones (Crazy71)
Registered Member
Username: Crazy71

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 74.215.200.218

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   

I did my plates last year. Not too hard. Oil up the bolts on the top of the bag or air chisel them off. I got my plates and longer bolts and new nuts from Luke. Then you will need some 3/16 tubing. I used steel brake line type from local auto store. Some people would rather work with plastic. You need to come out of the front leveling valve and into a tee block and out to each plate. I think I had to buy the brass fittings to screw into the plate also. I think it was a 3/16 flare to a 1/4 NPT. They had them at the parts store too.
Not a bad job.
Make sure you put them on right side up...
The air hole has to go next to the bag so the air can go in.
You might consider new bags when they are half off if yours aren't in good looking shape.
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1468
Posted From: 67.181.166.160

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 4:05 am:   

Nellie -

Luke's toll-free number is 1-888-262-2434, M-F, 9-5 Eastern.

Be sure to tell him how you were referred to his shop, he'll appreciate it. A good guy - he's probably forgotten more about our buses than all the knowledge on this board combined! I encourage all busnuts to support those who support us, and Luke's a great supporter of our little hobby.

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:53 am:   

mci sold me the new rolling lobe air bags to refit on the MC8, which was a bit more effort than just four bolts easy to install on the drive axle. works fine now with a bit more range than convoluted bags.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration