What got you on the Busnut highway? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » What got you on the Busnut highway? « Previous Next »

Alex Alexander (Doctor_al)
Registered Member
Username: Doctor_al

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 72.161.87.96

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   

Ok guys and gals... I posted this on another board the other day and found lots of interesting stories.
I'm sitting here listening to my favorite Harry Chapin song "GreyHound" and got to thinking, what set everyone on the path to busnut heaven? For me, I rode the greyhound all across this country a bunch of times. Loved the way a bus seemed to float over the pavement. (air ride don't you know) Knew on the first ride that there would be a time when I'd own one. Little did I know it would take me into my 50's to finally create my dream bus. Circumstance forced me to sell the old girl, but now the circle has come back around and I'll have another. No way to get it out of your blood I guess.
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   

Is the best way I could manage to explore the planet and sleep in my own bed every night while living with a family of three dogs. Ok I admit I first became a bus nut at 8, doing a first greyhound trip to visit grandpa 35 years back, all by my little self. It was shortly afterward that first trip that I decided I had to get one some day, with the intent to make it into a mobile house. All good things come to those that keep trying, perhpas.
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 64.241.37.140

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:07 am:   

Spent hundreds of nights in hotels/motels eating trash , while working for a living.

A Shasta with Dodge 318 was great for traveling , but the roof lifting like a convertible was interesting.

Did the Wanderlodge 31 bit (lousey interior) and then graduated to a Superior (at least made by a skool bus co) for a trip to AK.

The empty bays of a real bus was far too appealing to pass.Plus the relaxation of driving a drivers machine.

So now we have a Sportscar of Coaches , with loads and loads of bay storage , even use 2/3 of the luggage racks .

For Western travel were readying (if I can locate the brain box for a 5 HT 600 ZF) an Angola conversion
1956 Flxible VL 100 with retarder and Jake , and about 1100ft lbs of Ser 50 DD to get up hills.

Will have to pull a trailer to do our annual snowbird bit , the "price" of progress.

FF
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 66.165.176.62

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:51 am:   

Growing up my parents always had some sort of RV but when I was about 8 they boght a converted VL100 froma company in the midwest somewhere. We had many memorable outings in that and then they sold that and bought a converted AMC Brill. A little step down but made good money on the trade. I remember many a birthday party or trip to the beach with my friends done via the bus. I guess the Flx is my midlife crisis. I turned 40 and got the urge to make some of those same memories for my kids.

(Message edited by timb on January 23, 2009)
Edward J. Sommers (Sommersed)
Registered Member
Username: Sommersed

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 148.78.155.174

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:48 am:   

Just as I am NOT a Ford, Chevy, or anything else man - - - I drive the best car I can find for the least money.

Same with the Bus - - - I am not really a Busnut. I just happen to have one because turns out its the most Bang for the buck. I'm also not vane and put the least amount of money in the rig while still affording me the basic needs - - I painted my bus for a couple of hundred bucks . . .with a brush!

The most I've spent on my rig is for solar - but I'm full time boondocker and power is the lifeblood, not some noisy damn generator.

Just read this over, I shoiuld not post it! Here it is anyway.

Ed
Tom Christman (Tchristman)
Registered Member
Username: Tchristman

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 66.218.33.156

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   

Remember commenting to our mailman how his delivery truck would make a nice camper-at 7 years old! Took Crown buses to middle school (7-9 grade then). One had a 220 Cummins the other a 250 Hall-Scott gasoline-which kicked but on the Diesels (2-3mpg). In High school made hundreds of floor plans for various sizes of motorhomes. As a family growing up took 4 rented motorhome trips across county. In 1988 bought a Kenworth 90" cabover truck with a 96" drom box that I converted to a sleeper with shower, toilet, reefer, microwave, sink and double bed (used elec hot plate) and drove the for 755,000mi. Converted my first transit bus from '94, done in 2000. Now starting on converting my '85 Kenworth into a motorhome. Will have a 32ft box made with a beaver tail rear ramp for a garage with the bedroom over so I can carry my car and pull a trailerable trawler behind to explore many of the wonderful inland waterways. Good Luck, TomC
Alex (Doctor_al)
Registered Member
Username: Doctor_al

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 72.161.87.96

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   

Ed. no need to apologize.After the usual assortment of campers, class c, class A, fivers, and even some skoolies, I came to realize that a coach definately had the most bang for my buck too. I also spent the biggest share of my $$$ on some 125 watt panels and 8 golf cart batts with a 3000watt inverter. still could have used more panels
Austin Scott Davis (Zimtok)
Registered Member
Username: Zimtok

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 216.37.73.226

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   

Music....
The bus is used primarily for the band gigs.

Now that I have a bus I don't think I'll ever be without it. Even if I never do another gig.

David B. Sweet (Sweets4104)
Registered Member
Username: Sweets4104

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 71.195.101.200

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   

We needed an RV with storage space for tools, etc.
so we could travel with Mobile Missionary Assistance Program. Building, remodeling and repairing Churches, Christian Schools and Camp grounds.
Josh McElhiney (Zcommanager)
Registered Member
Username: Zcommanager

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 166.217.240.188

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   

Having been raised in a family which owned a trucking company, growing up I was always fascinated with big trucks and buses - favorite trucks are Kenworths and Volvos, buses - MCIs.

When I was a sophomore in Art School and as one of those 'crazy art school kids,' I had this half-cocked idea about buying an old tour bus to gut and use as a traveling art studio. I just so happened to stumble across an old MCI 5A (the exact coach I always wanted) on the internet one day and thought 'That's it! This is the perfect one.' Long story short, I couldn't swing it at the time, and I stowed that dream away in the back of my mind, never really letting go of the possibility. Surely enough, 8 or 9 months ago, I was surfing the web again, and of all things to stumble across was the same bus nearly 9 years later. As serendipitous as that was, I knew she was meant to be mine. After a few weeks of thinking about it, I called the guy, haggled over the price and now she's all mine!!!

As 'hokie' (sp) as that sounds, it's the 'Honest-to-Pete Truth!!!'
Doyle Gaither (Texasborderdude)
Registered Member
Username: Texasborderdude

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 75.208.69.16

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   

Two years ago I decided that you don't own things, they own you. I started a 6 month process of selling everything. A friend saw Charlie Brown's bus for sale at Quartzsite and I've been on the road since June of 2007. Everything I own is in the bus or trailer and Coffee and I are having a blast! I've met so many great folks (in person and on the boards). I can't imagine doing anything else!

dg
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 1305
Posted From: 71.58.110.9

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   

Grew up with motor homes. My father bought a 1948 Chevrolet school bus and converted it into a house car. Added all the amenities expected in the early 50's. Full size refrigerator that used blocks of ice, water tanks under rear behind duals on each side, Used a little air compressor run off the engine to pressurize tanks. Studio couch convert a bed in back mounted sideways. fold down tables and rear benches for meals, pair of bunk beds, propane stove/ oven, toilet, small couch up front behind driver. 235 cu. inch 6 cylinder, 4 speed transmission with 3 speed auxiliary. Our family was 7 with 5 boys, ages 4 to 15. Painted dark green with a couple of small yellow stripes and looked pretty nice for those days. We traveled all over the United States one summer and went to Fla. keys at Xmases and Rehoboth Beach- Indian River inlet several times every summer.
John and Barb Tesser (Bigrigger)
Registered Member
Username: Bigrigger

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 24.179.147.233

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   

I've been an over-the-road truck driver all my life and in my spare time the wife and I (and our dogs) still love to spend time on the road. We have had a succession of motorhomes and a bus is the logical "step up" from the world of sticks and staples.
Nellie Wilson (Vivianellie)
Registered Member
Username: Vivianellie

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 70.49.115.85

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 4:06 am:   

I ditto Austin (Zimtok) and Uncle Fred. Tough to haul all that music gear from motel to motel. Expensive too. And though I've done next to nothing with the bus (travel-wise) I can see it opens up a whole new world.

I tried motor homes... liked them fine, but not the same feeling.

Nellie Wilson
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:39 am:   

I drove bus all my working years and what better way to retire then to have your own bus. I bought the bus in 1984 and retired in 1997. I still have the same bus 25 years later. Great way to see the country and meet so many wonderful people. It may be mine for 25 years but still working on changing things. Like they say in the Converted Coach Owners club. Its never finished til you hand the new owner the keys.
Bill
Jack Campbell (Blue_goose)
Registered Member
Username: Blue_goose

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 71.100.201.35

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   

For a short story about our 48 years of camping. Started with a rented tent with no floor and 3 kids. Campgrounds were not much back in those days. Second year got new Sears tent with floor. From there 2 popup, 2 trailers, 3 motor homes and one Bus. Took wife to look at a silverside in 1965 but she said she wanted a new trailer and not an old bus. At that time she had never seen a bus that had been converted. The silverside was just an open bus with all the seats gone. When we had our second motor home we joined the FMCA and went to one of there rallys. That was the first time that we saw a bus that was converted. Did take to long for us to start thinking about the bus, but my time would not allow for doing the conversion?
One more motor home later I thought there would be time to do the conversion. There wasn't but I did it anyway. Bought the Eagle and started working on it. It has been almost 22 years now and I am still working one the same bus.
Been married to the same woman for 56 years and still trying to change her, don't think there will be an end to either project.
Jack
Larry & Lynne Dixon (Larry_d)
Registered Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 71.111.188.44

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   

We started showing Pug dogs about 18 yrs ago, Used a Toyota 4x4 and a small camper, worked pretty good but needed more room, put the camper on a trailer. Worked so good we bought a diesel Dodge p/u and small 5th wheel, then a bigger 5th wheel, then bigger and new Chev club cab. Chev and 5th wheel didn't work well bought SandS motorhome,worked great but started wearing out, bought a 40' BB Wonderlodge,loved it wife didn't. Sold it and looked for Bus to convert, found one already converted just the way we wanted for less than a third the cost of converting. Coach is 1975 GMC 4905, still showing dogs/ about 12 when we go and enyoying every day we travel and would like to full time. Don't know if we will but we can dream can't we.
my wife also 5 yrs ago bought an 84 class C so she could travel to some shows by her self.
What a long winded tail, up until the last three years we have put noless than 15 K on the mode we had at the time for dog shows
Lynne and Larry
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 930
Posted From: 72.57.41.131

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 8:41 am:   

I started by traveling in a travel trailer with my grandparents, who raised me. Florida in the winters and Colorado in the summers. So, I quess I grew up with traveling in my blood.
After getting married, my wife and I started our camping in a tent at water ski tournaments. We then moved up to a slide in camper for our pickup before converting a full size dodge van. This was followed by a couple travel trailers and a Winnebago Class A. That is when we discovered bus conversions and purchased a 4106 (Orange Blossom Special, which is still owned by the person we sold it to and is in NC). After converting it and using it for several years, we decided to move up to a 40', so we now have our MC-8 (Orange Blossom Special II)
David Dulmage (Daved)
Registered Member
Username: Daved

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 142.46.199.30

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 9:37 am:   

After having two motor homes, I wanted something that would be structurally sound and would not leak.

DaveD

(Message edited by DaveD on January 26, 2009)
John Lacey (Junkman42)
Registered Member
Username: Junkman42

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 66.82.9.59

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:04 am:   

I spent more than 20 years of My life flying in the military, banged around in old S&S motor homes, pulled all kinds of travel trailers and was never really happy with any of them. Then along came a MCI7, feels like the aluminum tubes I lived in in the military, feels safe on the road, is repairable by any real mechanic, and is a proven design. I love My bus and so does My Wife and funny so does our rat terrier. None of our six boys does, although our grandchildren think it is great. My friends think I am crazy and perhaps they are right. Did I mention it is also a great way to meet some great people even if they are nuts too. John
Josh McElhiney (Zcommanager)
Registered Member
Username: Zcommanager

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 166.217.79.216

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:17 am:   

Junkman42 -

I'll second that old buses are a great way to meet people. I have met a ton of pretty cool people with mine.

JM
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 70.212.223.228

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   

Great thread, Alex....I wouldn't know where to begin, so suffice it to say... I got the BUG decades ago.....got the bus 8 years ago.

Thanx for starting it. :-)

RCB
Rob A (Otto)
Registered Member
Username: Otto

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 24.109.179.137

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:34 am:   

2 words
poor parenting !!
lol
Dad was an 18 y/o bus driver,Mom was a 17 y/o student...fast forward 50 years..
I'm running 3 coaches in commercial service
just got out of the schoolbus biz
so ya,Diesel in my veins...
cowboy boots and a cup of Tim's coffee
and a black 2000 el3
that's me

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration