Undercarriage shop along I-20 corridor? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » Undercarriage shop along I-20 corridor? « Previous Next »

Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 67.142.130.12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:39 am:   

Folks,

I am finally at my wits' end with frame and alignment problems, which are eating through expensive tires at a prodigious rate. I need to get this thing fixed.

The principle issue right now is that one of my tag axle A-frames (the tag suspension on Neoplans is fully independent, set up the same way as the steer axle) is bent, the result of a careless tire shop putting a jack in the wrong place during a routine tire rotation.

I already have a replacement A-frame, a take-off in relatively good condition from another coach. What I need now is a shop that can replace it for me. Replacing Neoplan A-frames is a bit tricky, and there are no written instructions (in English, at least). So I am looking for a shop that has at least seen one of these puppies, and is willing to do the work (many shops flat out refuse to work on German-built Neoplans).

We are en route from the Atlanta, Georgia area to Phoenix, Arizona, and the ideal answer would be a shop somewhere along our planned route via the I-20 corridor. That's a tall order, so next best would be anyone in the southern half of the country anywhere from Georgia to California.

Please post your suggestions and recommendations here, or email them to me directly.

Thanks!

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 628
Posted From: 74.33.56.77

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:20 am:   

Sean, Midland, Odessa area Odessa spring,brake and axle 432-337-7315 it is a heavy duty shop,nice people and they do bus work good luck
H3-40 (Ace)
Registered Member
Username: Ace

Post Number: 928
Posted From: 206.53.144.27

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   

Sean it would have been nice if you were here in Lakeland. The shop here would have done it for you!
Ace
Bob MacIsaac (Wildbob24)
Registered Member
Username: Wildbob24

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 74.184.58.175

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   

Sean,

We've (Ray Cox's Coach Services) had good service from a shop called Alignment & Frame Service Co‎. Address is 2441 Main St, East Point, GA. Phone: (404) 767-1516‎. They specialize in HD vehicles. East Point is a south west suburb of Atlanta, inside the perimeter, near the airport. We have used them many times for bus alignments and wheel balancing.

I don't know if their experience extends to Neoplans, but you could certainly call and ask them before you leave town.

Bob
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 261
Posted From: 66.156.75.86

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   

Sean,

Where are you guys staying at? We are just a few miles north of the city

Tim
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 67.142.130.35

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   

@Tim: Tonight we are at the Wal-Mart in Union City, GA, just south of Atlanta.

@All: Thanks for the suggestions; keep 'em coming. I don't expect most of the places I will call to be able to do it.

Again, there are no instructions, and it is tricky. As I understand it, the wrist pin needs to be put in dry ice, while the sleeve is heated up. Then the pin needs to be driven in to exactly the correct spot before the temperatures equalize and it can no longer be moved.

Also, I have some of the parts, but not all, and even knowing what parts to order is a challenge. No one at Neopart knows anything about the German coaches anymore, so it's up to the mechanic to know what's needed.

-Sean
Roger Baughman (Roger)
Registered Member
Username: Roger

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 69.232.71.118

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   

Sean I e-mailed you this info, but jus in case here it is again. I know it is a long way from where you are but you did say California was OK. This shop is near San Diego. The owner is a real nice guy who does a lot of work on big rigs of all knids. If he does not know exactly how to do it he will figure it out. The shop name is E&C Spring Inc. His address is 518 Venture Street in Escondido Ca. 92029. His phone numbers are 760-747-5050 and 760-747-1961. Ask for Ben Elkins. Tell him I sent you. Good luck Roger Baughman
niles steckbauer (Niles500)
Registered Member
Username: Niles500

Post Number: 902
Posted From: 173.78.29.189

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   

Why don't you try Bryce - he's been getting a lot of foreign experience with those Setras - FWIW
Syl Szucsko (Syl)
Registered Member
Username: Syl

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 74.32.222.70

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:17 am:   

I need the same thing done on my left tag axle on a MCI8.It wears out tires very quickly. Is there any body in Los Vegas or Phoenix area that can align busses. I live in Lake Havasu City AZ.
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 67.142.130.21

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   

OK, here's the update.

Between this board and the other one, I received only six specific recommendations for shops. Three of those were off our route far enough that I did not call them (Orlando, Atlanta which we had already left behind, and Birmingham which we bypassed to be in Montgomery).

I got two different recommendations for Odessa Spring, Brake, and Axle, although both of them provided, apparently, the fax number. The phone turns out to be 432-337-7301. I spoke with JC there, and, after describing the problem, he thought he could not bend it, it would have to be replaced. However, when I described the procedure involved in removing and replacing the wrist pin, he said he was not familiar with it and they had never done one.

Someone recommended Tejas Coach, but I can't reach them on the provided number, which is also what is posted on their web site. It always comes back busy.

I also received a recommendation for E&C Spring, near San Diego. He was familiar with the procedure, says he's done many similar installations, and generally sounded very knowledgeable. So my final option is to go there. However, I'm a good 2,000 miles from San Diego, and my first opportunity to get it to him will be the first week in March. I was hoping to get this taken care of sooner and closer, such as in the next week between here (Demopolis, Alabama) and Arizona.

So I still welcome specific shop recommendations between here and there.

Thanks, everyone.

-Sean
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 935
Posted From: 70.0.166.251

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   

"I need the same thing done on my left tag axle on a MCI8.It wears out tires very quickly. Is there any body in Los Vegas or Phoenix area that can align busses. I live in Lake Havasu City AZ."

If it is like our MC-8, you will probably need to replace the tag axle bushing. Jack
Donald P Hann (Eagle19952)
Registered Member
Username: Eagle19952

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 207.155.108.175

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   

Krause Bus Sales
2301 Nogalitos
San Antonio, TX 78225
210-534-6711

Junior may know where....Good Luck.
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 67.142.130.39

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:09 am:   

We finally are rid of our bad A-Frame. Many thanks to everyone who posted suggestions here.

On recommendation of Roger Baughman here on the boards, we went to E & C Spring Inc. at 518 Venture Street in Escondido CA 92029 (760-747-5050 or 760-747-1961). Owner Ben Elkins was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and professional.

For the record, we asked about straightening the piece, and his opinion was that it should come out to be straightened anyway. And his further opinion was that the tube was badly enough damaged that he would actually cut that section out and replace it. Since we had a good take-out, all that was moot.

The infamous hinge pin that is reputed to be the source of all trouble with this job turned out to be no problem. The pin came out with a combination of an air chisel (with a flat drift head on it) on one side, then a short section of pipe and the original nut as an extractor from the other. And the pin went back in with some coaxing from the same air chisel -- no need for the dry ice routine.

It turned out the thorniest problem was removing the bolts holding the other end of the arm to the frame. At least one nut was frozen on, and the A-frames on both sides are through-bolted, so bolts needed to be moved around to keep the other side in place during the procedure.

My bill was for eight hours of labor (split between two men), as I had supplied all the parts. In addition to the take-out A-frame, fellow BBS member Russ Barnes had also furnished me with four new bushings and pinch bolts.

Now that the A-frame is done, we are on our way to L.A. Freightliner to have the bearings looked at and the alignment done. We normally stay out of these sorts of major shop operations, preferring smaller shops where the service is somewhat more personal. But getting parts or even drawings and service instructions for our weird Mercedes axles is something of a challenge, and Freightliner is Mercedes' official US service channel. We chose the Los Angeles location because BBS member Tom Christman happens to work there.

Once the bearings and alignment are taken care of, we'll proceed directly to a tire dealer for six new tires, as we're now well below legal tread on all four drivers, and the steers are so lumpy they are rattling our teeth out.

I'll be writing this up on the blog shortly, and we've got loads of photos of the process, so we'll pick a few to post there as well.

-Sean
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 832
Posted From: 208.54.200.130

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   

Sean,

I think I speak for many members on this board in extending our regrets that you are having far more than your share of bus problems.

It is fortunate that some members have been able to give you leads to good shops. These boards really work!!

Here's hoping things go a bit better in the miles ahead.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration