Split door operation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » Split door operation « Previous Next »

Roger Baughman (Roger)
Registered Member
Username: Roger

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.232.78.42

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   

I have a 1979 MCI 5C with a two part door. When I pull on the air powered red door open/close knob under the dash, over the right leg/over the accellerator, the door will open. But when I want to close the doors I have to do it by hand. When I had a old bus driver test drive it he some how got the door to close when I pull on the knob. SO yesterday I tryed to get the door to work from the in both directions with the air controled knob, and it reversed direstions on me some how. I would like to find out how to make the doors operate in both direstions open and close with the air controled knob. I hope I explained this so someone can understand what I am trying to do. Thanks, Roger
Dale Houston (Songman)
Registered Member
Username: Songman

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 98.150.22.91

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:37 am:   

I've only ever dealt with professionally converted MCIs that didn't have double doors, but on the ones I have been on the red knob was just for the air lock on the door and didn't actually open and close it. That is probably different on a road bus.
Arnie Smith (Arniemc5a)
Registered Member
Username: Arniemc5a

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 24.71.46.230

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 3:16 am:   

I drove an MC 8 with split doors, and if I remember right, there was a toggle switch to the left of the steering wheel near or in the line of toggles on that panel
Ian Giffin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1184
Posted From: 24.239.13.27

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:37 am:   

Roger,

I too drove an MCI MC-8 with the split door. I remember a simple toggle switch inside the front door. Can't remember if it was left or right as I stood on the first step while entering the bus. It was either in a storage compartment on the left under the first pair of seats or on the right behind an swing down access panel, unlocked with two thumb knobs, but anyway, it controlled air to the doors so the driver could pop out and manually swing the doors shut behind him/her.

Ian
www.busnut.com
Sammy (Sammy)
Registered Member
Username: Sammy

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 68.237.212.239

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:34 am:   

Roger, start and run your bus to build up air pressure. Make sure red knob is in proper position for air to flow to door.Red knob is to control air supply to door system - emergency dump valve. There will be a toggle switch on top of the left hand panel, next to operator,closest to windshield.Operate your entrance door with this switch .You should have another toggle switch outside the bus too.
Might be under a very small flip up style access door, next to the #1 door - outside. Sometimes they were mounted inside the fuel filler door compartment,on top or forward side, on inside.
Hope this may help.
Roger Baughman (Roger)
Registered Member
Username: Roger

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 69.232.78.42

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   

Thanks for all the info. I will try it tomorrow. Roger

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration