Mc9 air ride hi/lo? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » Mc9 air ride hi/lo? « Previous Next »

Jason Simons (Bigblock01)
Registered Member
Username: Bigblock01

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 209.164.238.7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   

Anybody installed a single dump valuve to drop the whole air ride system? I have been thinking about it. My truck has dump on it that dump the four bags on the rear. Or would I be better off to put front and rear dumps instead of one switch for all?
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 227
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   

Jason
It isn't as simple as one switch to dump all corners. About the simplest and cheapest way to do it is the system that Pete in FL sells. (Look on the BNO classifieds). You need to shut off the automatic level system then dump the front and rear. If you dump the bags the level system will try to refill until the air supply is exhausted unless you bypass the leveling valve.
Bill
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 71.239.202.82

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   

You can do it with 3, 3 port norgren valves. One for each side at the rear and one more for the front. They could all be plumbed thru 1 air toggle if you so choose. The Norgrens will cost around 75 or 80 bucks each.

On a Prevo the air is cut off to the ride height valves when you turn the key off. Never been under an MCI
Arnie Smith (Arniemc5a)
Registered Member
Username: Arniemc5a

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 24.71.46.230

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 1:31 am:   

I put dump valves on my coach and just used the system as is done on class 8 highway tractors. The shop put one valve on the rear with the air switch in the engine compartment, and one that drops the front axle located in the front compartment in front of the wheel on the driver side.

Just used a standard dump valve assembly. When you are set to drop the air just flick the switch. Just make sure you flip them back to running position when you start the coach to move. The switch valve can be mounted anywhere you want if you have enough airline..

Arnie
ED Hackenbruch (Shadowman)
Registered Member
Username: Shadowman

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 174.145.186.242

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:42 am:   

On my 5A the PO disconnected the leveling arms and installed a panel by the drivers seat that has 4 push/pull knobs and 4 gauges and one 2 way switch. Each corner has a gauge and a knob that controls the airbags on that corner.....i can set the air pressure/ride height however i choose. That is also how i level when parked. The 2 way switch is marked manual/hiway, i just leave it on manual. The only markings on the panel say "Level It"....i think somebody once told me they used these on Prevosts but i do not know if this is true or not.
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 945
Posted From: 71.54.29.215

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   

LEVEL IT was made by a guy named Rideout, I think his first name was Red. He lived somewhere around Evansville, Indiana. I purchased on of those systems for our 4106 back in the mid 80s. I think you will fine that you bus still has the OEM leveling valves, that is the reason for the manual/highway switch. Is this a switch that re-directs air flow or an electric switch? If this is one of Rideout's setups, it is an air switch.
We always traveled in the highway position except the time I noticed no air pressure on one corner. We switched to manual and continued to our destination. Next day, I checked under the bus and found that the linkage on OEM leveling valve arm had come loose. Jack
Larry & Lynne Dixon (Larry_d)
Registered Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 71.111.188.44

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   

Jack
My 4905 has the guage panel with four guages and four air push pull levers, does this mean that the auto system is unhooked? I have not been clear under and would not know what to look for anyway. It does not have any toggle or switch.
I have lots of info on conversion but haven't found anything on levelers Larry
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 947

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:19 am:   

Larry,
If it does not have a Manual/Highway switch, I would assume (yeah, I know what that means LOL) that your OEM leveling valve are not functional (not sure whether they are simply disconnected or removed.
Right now it is too cold for me to try to get under our bus to get a photo of a leveling valve. OK, for those of you north of us, 35 is probably not cold, but for us Florida Crackers, 35 is Da#^ COLD. Jack
Mark Renner (Boomer)
Registered Member
Username: Boomer

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 70.212.174.65

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   

Back when my company was still running MC-9's we got tired of the hassles associated with boarding steps that we provided for the passengers. We installed our own front kneeling systems with some quick and easy parts installation: a quick release valve (QR-1)to dump the front air bags, controlled by a simple dash mounted two position air switch. Worked great with the exception that without a dedicated tank to refill (raise), that part of the operation was slow as it had to fill through the leveling valve. We just instructed the drivers to flip it to "raise", and put it on fast idle for 3 or 4 minutes prior to departure to bring it up to ride height. Parts and labor were almost nil. We even installed placards like the Prevost's that said "kneeling bus". Presto, no more potential falls or injurys, lost or run over boarding steps, etc. You could install the same parts to dump the rear also.
Jason Simons (Bigblock01)
Registered Member
Username: Bigblock01

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 209.164.238.7

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:47 am:   

Thanks for the info. I may just do the front for now and do the back later. My mom is short and has a time getting in with the air up we tried the step deal it was a pain to deal with just don't like it would rather drop the bus looks better and less steps. I'd rather drop the whole bus but may just do the front till I feel like plumbing all the air line to do the back. I won't all switches on the dash for access.
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 951

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   

Another option is to add a Kwikee electric step. I will try to take a photo of ours tomorrow. Jack

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration