12 Volt Solar Battery Charger? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » 12 Volt Solar Battery Charger? « Previous Next »

Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 441
Posted From: 75.145.74.185

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   

I am contemplating using a solar 12 volt solar battery charger with controller for my house batts. What experience does anyone have with using these?

In Texas we have plenty of free sun to use for solar, so what say you?
John MC9 (John_mc9)
Registered Member
Username: John_mc9

Post Number: 810
Posted From: 98.70.64.52

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   

They've been making and using them on commercial motorhomes
for years, Paul!

Friends of ours (he's long gone), had one, and lived full-time in
their motorhome. He seemed very pleased with it.

But.... They always stayed in the south.

(Message edited by john_mc9 on February 09, 2009)
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 684
Posted From: 66.82.162.11

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:38 am:   

One 75 W panel and a Trace C-12 (limited to 12 charging amps) has worked to keep the battset on both our boat and bus camper in perfect shape , summer and winter for 3 years.

You will need WAY WAY more if you are attempting to operate a house fridge on solar tho.

We use a propane fridge , so there is nothing for the charger to do but make up for internal batset losses.

FF
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 442
Posted From: 209.218.200.174

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:30 am:   

We don't have a house fridge nor anything else that would put a huge demand on going solar. It's just to keep the 12v batt topped off for minimal light, 12/120/volt propane Norcold fridge and not much else. Thanks for the information guys!

I'm looking from brand specific, what works best and the basic how too. Don't know anything about solar that's why I'm asking a very elementary question.
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 482
Posted From: 75.210.42.20

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   

I use two 10 watt chargers (and controlers)...one for each set, house (5)and start(3),, Small, relatively inexpensive and have done well for a number of years now...plus a desulfator for each set.

The fridge is not operated off them, however....having said that, since the inverter is on (2000W), I suppose that is an incorrect observation. We do use a 6500W Genset a couple hours a day to get things back up to speed for overnight when traveling and using TV,fridge,etc,etc.

For "sitting" thru non travel times they are fine.
Batts are several years old nw...would guess 5-6.
FWIW

RCB
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 66.82.9.100

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 7:13 am:   

Set up the roof mounts to hold 2 x 75W or 85W panels, install one and a charge controller , and then decide if a second similar unit is needed.

FF
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 488
Posted From: 75.211.14.83

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 11:02 am:   

Paul...brand specific is probably not important...having said that I always look for a company that is reliable and willing to offer advice on a particular set up for particular circumstances....a no brainer, perhaps, but seems to work well for us in anything we undertake.

The folks on this board know what works for them......FF has been a source of lots'a thought provoking time and dilemma for me; and in many things, I took his advice and am very pleased that I did. The same goes for many others on this forum.

I can't recall the name of the firm I dealt with on the solar panels, but they are in the West...Oregon, Washington as I recall. Found them on the Internet...seems like maybe Batteries Plus or something similar. I did exactly as they recommended and have had zero problems that I am aware of, to date. Spent about $220 on the total package; but did it in two jumps.

FWIW :-)
RCB
Jim Stewart (H3jim)
Registered Member
Username: H3jim

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 68.6.175.166

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:27 am:   

Get a charge controller that has MPPT (Maximum Power point transfer). Blue sky controllers invented it, but has licensed the technology to several others. It maximizes the current to the battery under all conditions. It will make a big difference in the amount of net charge to your batteries. Since the solar panels aren't cheap, you can either buy a smaller panel or get more of the electricity you paid for by getting a better controller.

I have 600 watts on my bus, but I run a 24 volt refrigerator 24/7 365 - all from the sun. Both my house and start batteries are 24 volt, so I went with the 24 volt solar system too. When the house batteries are full, it charges the start batteries too so they are always topped off. Makes any battery last longer to always have it topped off.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration