Running the rack Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » Running the rack « Previous Next »

Larry Nelson (Larryn4106)
Registered Member
Username: Larryn4106

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 173.22.183.74

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   

Can anyone tell me just what that means. I have a Diesel Exchange engine in my 4106, about 20,000 miles on it in 4 years. There hasn't been a wrench on it since, just oil changes. Is a "tune up" something I should be thinking about?
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 968
Posted From: 71.54.29.215

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   

The "Rack" controls how much the injector opens (amount of fuel injected into the engine). As parts wear, they came become out of adjustment. "Running the rack" involves adjusting the rack so that each injector opens exactly the same amount for any given throttle setting. Not sure how often this should be done, a fellow busnut told me yesterday that thought it was supposed to be done every 50,000 miles. Jack

(Message edited by JackConrad on February 20, 2009)
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 505
Posted From: 75.208.238.82

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:30 pm:   

Curiosity.... is that only on DDs or on any fuel injected engine? Autos as well?....

Thanx

RCB
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 74.32.92.133

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   

Larry, the emmission 2 stroke engines require tuneups every 50,000 but the older engines don't need it, but yours being a rebuild 4 years ago I would run the rack and set the valves because there is always some wear on rebuilt engines during the first couple of years good luck

(Message edited by luvrbus on February 20, 2009)
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 404
Posted From: 71.55.228.218

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   

RC' I don't think that these newer diesels use tha ole DD method. but Have you come up beside some of these Fords that sound like a thrashing machine> I would definately do something to them. Not picking on Fords but they sound the worst of all and smoke like a Georgia freight train. Dodges blow some kinda smoke out but all in all the fords are worse. My opion only, not associated with any group of shister mechanics, I love my DD Long Live DD's.

Gomer
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 506
Posted From: 75.208.148.9

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   

Verrrry interesting....:-)

So, I have a Cummins 220 turbo....probably 75,000 on the rebuild.....

And...should I ....or??? Is this a ...uhh, ...ahem..."do it yourself" thing?...or $$$. :-) :-( :-)
Thanx,

RCB
Tom Christman (Tchristman)
Registered Member
Username: Tchristman

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 66.218.33.156

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   

To better explain "running the rack" Detroit 2 stroke mechanically injected engines have unit fuel injectors. This means that each cylinder has its' own injector pump that is fed by low pressure fuel with a fuel return, powered by a third lobe on the camshaft through a rocker arm and push rod, and has a throttle control (a small rod that pushes in and out of the injector). To tie the 3, 4 or 6 cylinder heads together in an individual head, there is a rack that goes the length of the head with a common rod with individual pivots for each cylinder. This rack is then connected to the governor for speed control. Periodically it is necessary to adjust the rack to make sure the injectors are all balanced as to opening fully at the same time, the injector height is correct, the clearance on the rocker arm for the injector is correct, and that the exhaust valves have the proper clearance also, so they don't burn if they get to tight.
When I was running my 8V-92TA mechanically injected engine in my truck, I had it tuned, or run the rack every 100,000mi. For our type of use, the for mentioned 50,000mi is a better figure.
If you have a DDEC engine, you will not have a rack to run, but still have to adjust the clearance on the injector and exhaust valves. Once you adjust the exhaust valves, if you have a Jake brake, you'll then have to adjust the Jake also. Good Luck, TomC
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 700
Posted From: 69.19.14.40

Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:04 am:   

I don't think that these newer diesels use tha ole DD method.

Some new large marine diesels use a modified version .

A "DD " like rocker powered pump will be used to preassurize a small fuel manifold , and the high pressure (30,000psi) fuel is then injected by a 3 stage electronic controlled injector .

Less chance of stopping with many high pressure pumps than with a 30,000psi (or more) fuel rail and a single pump.

FF
Skip N (Skip)
Registered Member
Username: Skip

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 97.73.64.173

Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:34 am:   

"Curiosity.... is that only on DDs or on any fuel injected engine? Autos as well"

There is basically 3 styles of mechanical diesel injection.

Common rail type like DD
scroll pump like CAT,case,some John Deer etc
CAV/Roostra(sp) like some John Deer, Perkins etc

Scroll pumps have a rack that rotates the scrolls and usually doesn't need re-adjustment once
adjusted and set.

Hope this helps

Skip

(Message edited by skip on February 21, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration