Crown or bluebird for 4x4 hauler Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » February 2009 » Crown or bluebird for 4x4 hauler « Previous Next »

Peter E (Sdibaja)
Registered Member
Username: Sdibaja

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 201.143.189.58

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   

been gone for a couple years (the 4905 went away), now on to a new adventure.
I am considering building a 4x4 hauler something on the lines of the picture of the Bluebird that I have attached. (my 4x4 is also a unimog, about 7,000lb)
Bluebird hauler

First, I need better ground clearance for the back country I wander in, and good climbing gears too.
Another 4905 will not cut it... of similar monocoque, so a schoolie looks like the direction I am heading.
My first thought is a Crown, for the 3 axle and road ranger, but they are hard to find.
How about a Bluebird?
The frame aft of the axle needs to be sound!
Thanks, Peter
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 70.210.161.109

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   

Peter.. our Crown is a 40', 3 axle and the frame stops just a few feet beyond the axle. The "trunk", is behind the fuel tank which is under the rear of the frame, if that helps at all.

The trunk was designed to hold all the bags for a fully loaded coach (this one was a highway coach) (42 pax + dirver). Figure 45# per pax and the math shows short of 2,000 pounds for that area.

Modifications could change that, but I doubt itcould handle anywhere near 5,000#.

I'm not an SE, but common sense tells me it would need some heavy duty changing :-)

Interesting hauler you have shown. Best wishes!

FWIW

RCB

(Message edited by chuckllb on February 25, 2009)
Peter E (Sdibaja)
Registered Member

Post Number: 272

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   

thanks RC
another rig I saw a video of has a tilt bed, hinged just behind the axle... tips up well but am concerned about #7000 plus the bed minus the original body... looks a bit much for the single axle, thought a dual axle would be far superior.
any idea what the rear axles are rated at?
Peter

PS: found the video, appears to be the same rig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boocVLUncQA

(Message edited by sdibaja on February 25, 2009)
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member

Post Number: 524
Posted From: 70.210.161.109

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   

RJ Long may know if he tunes in here; or try West Coach in Chino, CA....they have a web site and bought all the Crown inventory when Crown went out of business in the 90's. Very knowledgeable folks...ask for Chuck. I left their phone # on another post here a couple of days ago.

Seems to me 12,500 +-...just don't recall. In the Crown, the frame would be the "thing" . As I remember, the frame is about 8 inches, the length of the coach to just aft of the rear axle. As RJL says, "built like a tank"...

GVW is 38,500 on mine, if that helps. Curb weight is 24,500....local MVD folks weighed us at about 25,000# (shell)...including 2 people and three dogs...less than a full tank. Tire size 12X22.5.

Hopes all this helps a bit. Manual does not show the individual axle ratings...sorry.

:-)

RCB
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1515
Posted From: 67.182.126.60

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:02 am:   

Peter -

Wouldn't recommend a three-axle Crown or Gillig - no frame far enough behind the back axle to support the Unimog.

Unless you could find one of the (very) rare three-axle pusher models. But then you'd have to get the Mog up and over the engine compartment - which means you may end up with a convertible if you mis-judge a bridge or two.

A front-engined Thomas or Blue Bird transit-style skoolie might fit your needs, most have a frame extending all the way to the back. Here's an example:

Blue Bird FE Skoolie

Another idea might be one of these:

Kingsley

Lots of possibilities out there - think outside the box!

FWIW & HTH. . .

RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1516
Posted From: 67.182.126.60

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:03 am:   

Peter -

Forgot to ask: Can the Unimog be flat-towed?

If so, might solve some problems?

Peter E (Sdibaja)
Registered Member

Post Number: 273

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:30 am:   

RJ:
Flat tow is my preferred, but the unimog has straight cut axle reduction gears that would overheat, and also I can't tow a trailer.
My original thought was a truck, but I want a flat front to maximize interior room.
The frame length appears to be a non-issue, take a look at these clips from the video and you will see that the bed pivots at the rear spring hangers... but I would like to make the bed a foot or two longer so I could get the mog weight a bit farther forward. 14k payload capacity sounds good, distributed correctly!

BTW: my wife says I have totally lost it

(Message edited by sdibaja on February 26, 2009)
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member

Post Number: 527
Posted From: 75.211.91.36

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   

Quite a setup, Peter....is she right??? :-) :-)

Question...what's your overall height??

RCB
Mel La Plante (Mel_4104)
Registered Member
Username: Mel_4104

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 64.180.203.2

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   

Peter where are you allowed to operate a vec. with that kind of over hang? your address says Mexico but will they allow it in the US and for sure not in Canada with out permits and a piolet car front and back
Peter E (Sdibaja)
Registered Member

Post Number: 274

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   

not my bus, using it as an example of something kind of like what I would like to build.

to me it looks like a stock body length bus... the 40' schoolies often have tons of overhang
David Guglielmetti (Daveg)
Registered Member
Username: Daveg

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.238.199.247

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   

axles (drive and tag) are generally designed by the mfg for about 23,000# but the laws usually limit them to 20,000#. When used in tandem (drive and tag or dual drive/twin screw) they usually only get to 34,000#...some states may vary.
Larry & Lynne Dixon (Larry_d)
Registered Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 71.111.188.44

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   

In Oregon the overhang used to be (or is) one third the vehicle wheelbase, which is center of front axle to center rear most axle. Seemed to be pretty standard.. Lary
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 708
Posted From: 69.19.14.37

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:43 am:   

I understand in W VA and other hilly areas International uses a frame with a driven front axle and transfer case .

Might be worth a few phone calls if the carrier is going in the woods.

FF
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   

If it is weight capacity your after and wish to think outside the box , look for a cab forward or cab over tandem axle strait truck with a long frame. Frames longer than 30 feet are not uncommon and a frame extension behind the lag axle is not impossible The one issue is height, unless you do the convertible top on your unimog.
Tom Christman (Tchristman)
Registered Member
Username: Tchristman

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 66.218.33.156

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 10:41 am:   

The problem with any front engine school bus is that the engines are small. Why not just buy a used 3 axle big rig truck and have a box made to your specifications in back-that's what I'm doing. Then you'll have a square box and square lines that is easy to convert. Also, all wheel drive (front axle driven) would be possible too-like from Marmon-Herrington or Fabco. Good Luck, TomC
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 367
Posted From: 68.55.109.14

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:21 am:   

Peter, you said "I can't tow a trailer". It seems to me that a trailer is the PERFECT solution to your needs - low (no height clearance problems), high weight capacity, low center of gravity, ability to disconnect when needed, etc. I can see that a trailer may be hard (or impossible) to tow in off-road conditions but where can a cut-off school bus go that a trailer being towed by a normal coach can't?

What am I missing here?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration