Brakes for my duelly Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » Brakes for my duelly « Previous Next »

Douglas Tappan (Dougthebonifiedbusnut)
Registered Member
Username: Dougthebonifiedbusnut

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 75.69.223.64

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   

Hey All,
I want to tow my F350 duelly and I guess I'd better get some sort of brake system for it. I have been towing my Jeep Wrangler forever and never worried about brakes as I have 3 axles but the duelly might raise some eyebrows so if anybody has done this lately I would love the info.I would go to the archives but the technology changes so quickly I think fresh info might be better. Thanks in advance
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   

Doug
I've used a system made by M&G Engineering. It is a cylinder that fits between the master cylinder and booster unit. It is operated by air pressure from the coaches brake system. I've used it for over 20 years on various vehicles and now have it on my pickup. You definately need extra braking on a heavy vehicle like a duelly. Remember the law of physics.
Bill
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 568
Posted From: 75.210.152.24

Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   

Xl'nt link, Bill...a bit pricey, me thinks, but looks like a sound system.

Thanx for the help! :-)

RCB
ED Hackenbruch (Shadowman)
Registered Member
Username: Shadowman

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 70.1.166.0

Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   

I have been using the Unified Tow Brake from U.S. Gear for 4 years and have been very happy with it.
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 986
Posted From: 71.54.29.215

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:32 am:   

You might want to go to www.hitchtrader.com and look under "BUY" to see what is available in used components. This is where we found our M&G for 1/2 the cost of new as well as our tow bar base plates for an even bigger savings.
I would like to tow our F350 crew cab dually (with a paint job similar to our bus), but my wife says the dually is hers and that custom paint job ain't gonna tag along in any diesel smoke. So we settle for towing our Grand Cherokee. Jack

(Message edited by JackConrad on March 21, 2009)
Registered Member

Post Number: 239

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:18 am:   

Jack
I thought that the diesel smoke and smell is what keeps us busnuts alive.
Bill
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 987

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   

I don't mind the smell, but Paula says "no way is that smoke gonna get on my custom paint job!!" If momma ain't happy...... Jack
Registered Member

Post Number: 240

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   

Jack
Gottcha. We have to keep momma happy at all costs.
Len Silva (Lsilva)
Registered Member
Username: Lsilva

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 24.164.20.23

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   

Personally, I am of the opinion that a tow car should be a beater. They take a lot of abuse back there and I prefer it not be an expensive car.
Dan West (Utahclaimjumper)
Registered Member
Username: Utahclaimjumper

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 208.66.38.60

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   

I also use the M&G system without the emergency tank, works great, trouble free and well worth the money.>>>Dan (Jeep Liberty)
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 988

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   

We purchased our M&G used at www.hitchtrader.com. It came without the break-away components. I had a 12 volt air valve and a small pressure tank, so I purchased a check valve and a few fittings and made my own break-away system.
We last towed our car last Monday on our way home from a Bluegrass party. Yesterday, we drove our Grand Cherokee to town to run a few errands, for the first time since getting home. When we got ready to leave our last stop and head home, we noticed the brakes were dragging. We drove about 1 mile to a friends shop. Both front brakes were smoking when we got there. He said "it must be your master cylinder". I asked for a 1/2" wrench and removed the air line to the M&G. The brakes released. I then checked the break-away switch that is installed in the air dam below the front bumper. Somehow it had got pulled partially out, energizing the valve and applying the brakes. Since part of the pressure had leaked out, it did not have enough pressure to apply the brakes fully.
Live & Learn. If you have an M&G with the break-away option, check the break-away switch if your brakes start dragging (or drain the pressure tank). Jack
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1519
Posted From: 76.66.18.225

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   

Thinking on the keyboard....

Perhaps a pressure switch and activation light visible someplace....

Nice to see it on with every brake application, nice to see it go out on release...

The electric brake controller in my SUV behaves sort of that way, positive indication of continuity and application.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 74.244.14.221

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   

On my Florida trip in December I met a busnut in a converted MCI and he had built his own using a air servo similar to what you would use for a clutch assist that just pushed the brake pedal in his toad. He had an air chuck right in the grill that he hooked into
ED Hackenbruch (Shadowman)
Registered Member
Username: Shadowman

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 68.29.11.169

Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   

The system i use lets you know if the brakes are activated via a led light during normal usage or an alarm if the breakaway system engages.....found that out by accident one time, had the cable a little too short and made a really tight left turn which caused the cable to pull out and set off the alarm. :>) You can also adjust how much braking you want as you go down the road and has a lever for full on emergency braking no matter what level you have it set on normally.
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 989

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:23 am:   

When we installed the system on our Grand Cherokee, I added a fFlashing red LED on the dash of the bus to show when the M&G was applying pressure to the master cylinder (service or break-away function). I guess I need to also install one of these red LEDs on the car dash. Jack
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 4.88.106.40

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:24 am:   

Is a toad braking system legally necessary (or just smart) for a 3200 pound VW? I already have rigged up a simple "pull-cord" breakaway alarm but by then it's probably already too late ...
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 990

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:52 am:   

Bruce,
I think the maximum toad weight without a break-away function varies by state. I think FMCA and Motorhome Magazine publish a state by state list of taod requirements, but I could not find it online. Jack
Chuck Newman (Chuck_newman)
Registered Member
Username: Chuck_newman

Post Number: 305
Posted From: 76.246.252.104

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   

Jack,

"I added a fFlashing red LED on the dash of the bus to show when the M&G was applying pressure to the master cylinder (service or break-away function). I guess I need to also install one of these red LEDs on the car dash."

Jack, how are you activating the red LED to indicate applied M&G service air? Do you have a pressure switch tee'd into the air line to the M&G cylinder?

Also how does the LED sense a break-away condition? Thanks.
Registered Member

Post Number: 306

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   

Jack, second question:

Your home brew break-away system gave me an idea. I have a tank and compressor already on the towed van for air horn and Firestone bags, tire fill, etc. With an additional air switch (for trip condition) and check valve into M&G cylinder, I already have the basic components for a break-away system.

Have I missed anything here?
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 992

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   

I put a pressure switch in a T fitting on the M&G. The Flashing Red LED, does not detect a breakaway, it detects brake application by the M&G. This application should be related to a bus service brake application, but it could also be caused by the break-away cable accidentally pulling the pin on the break-away switch resulting in the toad being towed with the brakes applied. This could easily result in a brake fire.
Your home brew system will need to prevent any air escaping into the busted air line going to the bus. Our system has a T in the line from the bus. One side of this T connects to the air tank T though a one way check valve. The other side of both of these Ts connect to the solenoid air valve. The 3rd line from the solenoid valve connects to the M&G. In normal operation, when the brakes are applied, air enters the "air in" line tee, part of the air goes from this tee through the solenoid to the M&G while the rest of the air goes through the check valve into the tank. IF the solenoid valve is activated by the break-away switch, the solenoid valve moves, closing the air intake from the bus and opening the passage from the tank to the M&G. Jack
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   

yes JC, very good to mention "tractor protection valve" when diverting coach brake control pressure to operate the toad brake system, even more important ( & always legally required ) than the break away which is generally manditory above a certain weight ratio (towing / toad )or above maximum towed weight without brakes (jurisdiction dependent). Wouldn't want to only have coach emergency braking system if something happend to the toad !
Registered Member

Post Number: 308

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:52 am:   

Thanks Jack for the information. I see some real versatility and $ savings in this configuration over the M&G break-away kit design.

Of course a couple more questions:

Do you use a dedicated wire in the towed cable for the signal voltage from pressure switch to LED?

Is the standard pull type break-away switch mounted on the bus OK to use or something else less prone to long term water/corrosion effects?

Thanks.
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member

Post Number: 995

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:21 am:   

I use a dedicated wire for the signal from the pressure switch. We use a 6 conductor cable to connect the toad to the bus. We use a standard break-away switch from an RV parts store that is attached to the front of the toad. We made up a cable using plastic coated 3/16 steel cable with a snap link on each end. We installed an eye bolt in the bottom of the bus bumper near the hitch to attach the other end of the cable to. Jack

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration