1974 MC8 Clearance/Marker Lights Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » March 2009 » 1974 MC8 Clearance/Marker Lights « Previous Next »

Moti Nowrangi (Mnowrangi)
Registered Member
Username: Mnowrangi

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 96.255.83.117

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:50 am:   

I just noticed that the REAR clearance/marker lights (rear left right and middle all RED) are out. Both middle AMBERS and from left and right and middle clearance lights are working.

On further examination I found out that with the switch in the off position the clearance lights were all all with the exception of the mentioned REAR ones.

Could it be that there the switch has gone faulty? Or would there be one light bulb that is out in the rear that is casing a dasiy chain reation for all the rear clearance lights to go out?

Where and how do I begin to trouble shoot?

Thanks!
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 379
Posted From: 76.21.223.54

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:44 am:   

First thing is a "multimeter" and checking to see if you have power to the bulb sockets. It's not unknown for a number of bulbs to blow out at the same time. But you don't know until you check for power at the socket.
I'm thinking it's not a bad switch - the "working" lights respond to the switch OK. If you don't have power to some of the sockets but you do to others, it's probably broken wires or loose connectors in the wiring to the "bad" sockets.
Grant Thiessen (Busshawg)
Registered Member
Username: Busshawg

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 206.45.93.160

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   

I'm thinking it may be a ground issue. If I'm reading your post correctly , all the back clearance lights are out. I see you have a MCI which would mean the back cap is fibreglass and my guess is that the ground wire has broken. If you don't find power with your multimeter try running a temporary ground wire from one of your lights to the engine compartment or somewhere you can get a ground and re-test. If you have power you will have to find the break in the wire. It doesn't sound like a power issue to me
Moti Nowrangi (Mnowrangi)
Registered Member
Username: Mnowrangi

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 96.255.83.117

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   

Yes, I tend to agree with you as the MCI Tech support also suggested a similar situational remedy.

In addition to this BBS which offers a database wealth of info the MCI Tech support (number can be got of their website) is another support option. They have been very nice and courteous and are open 24/7.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration