1982 Gillig Phantom with a Detroit 6v... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » 1982 Gillig Phantom with a Detroit 6v92 Turbo « Previous Next »

Kasse Weikel (More_s_than_as)
Registered Member
Username: More_s_than_as

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 71.84.122.200

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 2:12 am:   

Yay im the new noob! hello everyone! like most i started out looking for info on my bus and i found your archives so damned usefull i just had to sign up and start asking questions myself. my name was sposed to be "more ?s than A's" but it didnt come out right so im going to change it soon. but i have many questions so lets start with the basics.

whats KISS mean?

i found a site for an 800 page repair manual D/L online for 15 bucks but i cant find anymore. Does anyone know where i can get a service/repair manual for this detroit and the allison tranny and not pay dieselpro hundreds of dollars?? wiring diagrams for the bus would be sweet too.

I live in South Lake Tahoe but im working on the bus at my buddies place up north, the nearest towns are redding and eureka/arcata (California). does anyone know a good and fairly priced shop to get the alignment done. I wanted to have someone "run the rack" as well, do any of you live nearby there that i could pay to supervise the job as i did it (how i learn best), or know a good shop for that as well, i know i should get an inspection as well right?

i have researched this engine a lot but am still wondering; how do i tell that this thing isnt DDEC cause i hope and think its not, having a fuel rack implies its mechanical?!? how do i tell what size injectors are in there.

I know these are famous oil leakers, i definetly need to put in a new rear main but ive got that all researched and covered. however theres two leaks at the ends of the left head. im gonna get a torque wrench and see if they need tightening, but is there a product like silver soder i could use to just seal up the leaks till i feal like replacing gaskets (she runs great!!!).

The mileage up front says 360k but theres a hub odometer on the rear axle reading 56k (hehehe, dial up), there are also some engine parts painted green (i know the silver and purple ones are better :-( ), from this can one deduct that a rebuild was done on it when the hub meter was added, or no?

i was hoping maybe anyone had any tips and tricks for the the rear main? i was going to use heavy duty straps to support it to the frame underneith and use the jack below as well (double caution) with a come-along hooked to the jack for easy "backing out the tranny." i was going to dig out a little pit and build some ramps/levelrs cause its on a little upward incline, in order to get more room under there. My friend has changed a skooly tranny before but not a rear main on a detroit, so i htink i got it, but any tips from you guys who have done it before would be great!

is Dieselpro the only place to get new aftermarket parts for my detroit? its all i can find but the prices seem good compared to what people were saying they paid for parts in the archives. whats a good site for parts, another for oil and filters (i know the straight 40 weight is hard to find on a shelf).

The speedometer and water temp works up front, but not the oil pressure gauge. the gas gauge skips around alot and ive deemed it useless. none of the gauges work in the back but thats not really important in the back right? my main question here is ; WHATS UP WITH MECHANICAL GAUGES AND SENSORS?!? should i buy new gauges first or new sensors? i would really not like to screw with that huge gas tank but if i can get a manual for the bus, i may find out ill be able to replace it quick and easy. so buy gauges and hop its them (oil pressure and gas) or can i test them some how?

I know this is a kinda long post so im going to stop here for now, i still got loads more questions, most of which im sure have been asked before but im not finding in the archives. so please if you have already informed another noobie of the same stuff just hit me with the archive link, i dont mind going to look if it saves you time.

the manuals are the really important bit though so i can bug you guys less, ill get pics up of the bus when i change my name, i think im going to go with "Boro Bus." Thanks a lot everyone, i want to get this baby rolling so bad!!!
Registered Member

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 4:25 am:   

...oh yeah, i forgot this with the gauges section. Do you all think its necessary for me to get a boost gauge for my turbo. some guy at a truck stop told me i should but i dunno...

i also wonder about a tachometer, theres not one in there stock. how reliable are the tranny settings (its a 4-spd auto) to not over rev my baby! if i put a tach in its gonna be like a 50 foot cable. in the archive i found a post in which someone said you can make your own instead of paying for one, but no info on how to do so was given. i think a link was given but often i find links in the archive arnt so reliable, im sure time is to blame. in any case id like to know the details of making my own, or perhaps one of you know where i can get a good deal on one, i cant even find any online, sometimes google doesnt work for me.

thanks in advance to all, im itching to get her on the road!!!
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 66.165.176.62

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 10:01 am:   

Wow lots on a first post I'll throw out what I know. Usually the mileage on the hubmeter is reset to zero after the engine is overhauled so it might be fresh. Running the rack is something you need to farm out as it requires special tools to perform though once done is usually good for many mile. Is it doing something that leads you to beleive it needs adjusting or just preventative maintenance? Oh and KISS stands for Keep It Simple Stupid
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member
Username: 91flyer

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 166.193.22.40

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 10:46 am:   

Hey guy... I have the manuals u need for the engine, but no access to them right now. When I get back home from my trip, I'll email them to u. I'm on a phone posting right now... LOL

I'll read your post in more detail when I get back to my pc...

Cheers! And ya... KISS is da method of choice. ;)

-Mac
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 791
Posted From: 64.55.111.6

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 11:08 am:   

Kasse,

A couple of thoughts/answers.

If the engine sounds even when idling, not one cylinder hitting harder than the others, there is no need to run the rack. Especially since there is a good chance that the engine is low mileage, as mentioned above.

To tell whether your engine is mechanical or electronic, look in the vee between the cylinders. If there is mechanical throttle linkage connected to a lever, and a small air cylinder that can push on another lever, the engine is mechanical. It may have an air throttle, and in that case, there will be two air cylinders. No linkage or air cylinders=DDEC.

The 92 series were first painted green, later engines, with improvements, were painted silver.

Welcome,
George
Jim Gibson (River_rat)
Registered Member
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 75.95.96.192

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   

Kasse,
I'm a newbe here too, but just over the hill in Gardnervill woring on a GM 4104 - we'll have to get together and compare war stories!

Call me when you have a chance -7757821041
Jim
Registered Member

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   

hey everyone, just got up and had to check my first post!!!

George im with you on the "dont fix it if its not broken" disposition. the beast runs great so it dowsnt need the rack to be ran. but i read in the archives that it should be done every 50k miles and i think im at 56k from the last service, so it would be just a preventitive thing.

what about the gauges though eh? i know it was a long first post but im beaming with bussness

Macgyver - you would be my hero if i could get some good manuals.

JIM - hey i sent you an email last night just as long as my post here, did you get it? im going to be crazy busy the next month or two but im going to try to take the bus to as many festivals as possible (hehehe im converting the back behind the rear door into a glass blowing shop). id love to have any other busnuts along. if you got acreage dfown there and are serious about your bus, you should dig out and install a pit maybe, id be happy to rent an excavator and help

if i could get some gauge and shop info, id be all set

well thanks a bunch to everyone again, i gotta make a drive down to nevada city/grass valley bye bye for now
David Guglielmetti (Daveg)
Registered Member
Username: Daveg

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 71.148.53.81

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   

Here in Redding if you need anything.
Oil pressure gauge on dash...mechanical or electric? Electric-probably bad connection on sender unit or ground. Mechanical-air in line-line may leak or bleed back into pressure galley when not running.
Clint Hunter (Truthhunter)
Registered Member
Username: Truthhunter

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 24.129.235.190

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   

oh wow, do I feel stupid, here all this time I though it was (KISS) was keep it stupid,simple. Well could be worse, had I though it was keep it simply stupid.
Oh well the imortant thing is to get kissed by someone that loves you, right, even if just doggy kisses ?
welcome anyhow.
David Evans (Dmd)
Registered Member
Username: Dmd

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 173.77.212.104

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   

You could ground the sending wire and the guage should peg all the way if the guage is good. George Myers has a rig like yours and he did ALOT of stuff to it. His bulletins used to be for sale on this site and he does a whole series of electrical articles in the bus conversions mag. i will check and see if i can find anything on guages for us. i was looking in the archives about them myself. Good luck with the bus.
Registered Member

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 3:43 am:   

man o mighty its horrid that macgyver is in trouble! i really need some literature cause the gauges are mechanical (i found matching ones on dieselpro) but they DO have a breaker in the electrical box over the drivers head.

i think it is as i feared...im going to just have to pull em out of the dash and chase all the lines, air or electric.

thanks to both of you daves!

Mr. Guglielmetti...do you know of a good and honest shop near you that could do an inspection and alignment. id love to find a shop near the bus thats small and the guys are cool enough to let me watch them and maybe even ask a few questions (i need to know alot about the brakes but im sure its common enough knowledge,i need not bug you guys).

so skip the gauges, im sure once i get some literature ill have more light in my world, but after looking on the board and the archives, i got a newquestion of safety that i think im going to put in a new thread.
David Guglielmetti (Daveg)
Registered Member
Username: Daveg

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 71.148.53.81

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   

Call me at work if you'd like.
Redding Trailer Center (530) 241-2312
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 74.193.225.134

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   

Kasse... Check yer email. ^.^ I've included some extra stuff for you that I have handy...

-Mac
Registered Member

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 24.176.245.108

Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   

yo dave G ill ring you up right now, you seen my other post about shops wanted? lol.

Mac - thanks a lot for the literature, and im glad you made it home ok. i was trying to figure out what you said happened but i dont understand how before it always works and now you have dead leads?

Mac - im sure the more i dig into it, the more ill figure out, but that stuff is confusing! i was looking up the rear main and it starts with the tranny already out (guess i gotta look up that section first). then every other word theres a refference to a tool number or part number. very confusing for poor little me, but the trouble shooting section will get much use im sure, thanks a bunch!

Anybody reading this that knows about labor hours and prices for DD's please check out my shops wanted post and let me know about some qoutes i found, or other shops in N. Cali you might know of

Eternally gratefull - Kasse

P.S. Ill post Pics of Ol' Gilli when i get back from the next trip (wont be much done too her though, but youll atleast get to see the sweet linoleum flooring a scored a 66% off deal on. might have the partitions and shop in the back up too, im so excited!!!!!!!!!

heres the edit: arg i called at 5 on the dot and got the machine, i left some silly message but ill just try you again tomorrow dave, thanks

(Message edited by More_s_than_as on April 15, 2009)
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 74.193.225.134

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   

Kasse,

That's the thing about technical manuals... They assume you're already versed in the lingo and have the referenced tools handy. As we both know, this isn't usually the case for us nuts...

Hopefully, you'll find something of use in the manuals anyway.

Cheers!

-Mac

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration