Source for the old GM fiberglass head... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » Source for the old GM fiberglass headlight covers? « Previous Next »

macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member
Username: 91flyer

Post Number: 340
Posted From: 74.193.225.134

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   

Does anyone make replacements for the older style GM headlight/turn signal pieces? The rounded ones on the 4905s, and likely other models?

If so... Where??

If not... Would there be any market for them if I went ahead and made the moulds to make them?

-Mac
RJ Long (Rjlong)
Registered Member
Username: Rjlong

Post Number: 1532
Posted From: 98.192.173.82

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 12:40 am:   

Mac -

The only fiberglass replacement pieces that I'm aware of (other than an occasional "find" in some dusty warehouse somewhere) come from R&M Fiberglass, the same guys who make the front & rear caps. These are for the "modern" square/rectangular lamps, which some folk feel improve the looks, but, IMHO, are WORSE in terms of light output & SAFETY. (Just read the various threads here and on the MAK board about hitting animals at night due to poor lighting, for example.)

Is there a market? Probably not large enough to recoup the costs involved in making new molds.

Remember, GMC highway coaches have been out of production since 1980 - almost 30 years now. Their numbers dwindle year by year - It's very obvious at the bigger bus rallies, they're mostly dominated by MCIs & Prevosts nowadays.

OTOH, some folk might be interested in restoring their Buffalo to "stock" from stick 'n staple.

I suggest you also post this question on the MAK forum as well as the GMC busnuts group on Yahoo, to widen your target audience and see how it plays out.

FWIW & HTH. . .

:-)
Frank Radosti (Frank4104)
Registered Member
Username: Frank4104

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 64.80.137.250

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 7:45 am:   

Mac.I would be intersted, I have 4104 and it is all stock .I try to keep it that way,let me know what you decide.
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member

Post Number: 342

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 3:09 am:   

Frank, I'm the same way... I'd like to keep the coach as close to stock as possible, aside from beneficial modifications like a reworked dash... but the exterior, I'd prefer to keep the retro looks... That's just part of the charm for me.

I'll look into what it'll take to make the moulds for them... With modifications to the production of the units... Steel mesh reinforcement would certainly be a worthwhile pursuit, as these things seem to have numerous weak points that could use some reinforcement beyond the standard fiberblass... And something different for the mounting system would be nice....

Those big rusty bolts just aren't very appealing! Maybe some sort of hidden snap mechanism would be nice... I'll look into what can be done when I get ready to make the moulds.

I need to have a 'perfect' plug to make it... so I'll be spending a number of days, maybe weeks, preparing one of my headlight cowls to be a suitable plug. To eliminate the weak point between the headlights themselves, I might make a modification to the headlight mounting system to allow for a slightly wider spacing of them so that the weak point is less prone to breakage... Or, possibly, use a stainless steel insert and eliminate that weak point altogether. I'll have to see what I can do once I get the materials and the plug ready.

From what I can tell, both sides are actually identical, they're just flipped over from one side to the other... So that'll save me a lot in time and materials to make the mould.

I'll post another message when I get it done and post some pictures of the resulting cowlings...

Also, are these things the same across the 4xxx GMC buses? Will the 4905 cowlings work for the 4104?

Cheers!

-Mac
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member

Post Number: 344

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 3:33 am:   

RJ...

Sorry, I neglected to address your post first... Too many things on my mind right now. heh...

I've looked at R&M's "solution" for the front headlights and I too feel it's an inadequate solution, and honestly... I feel it destroys the retro look and charm the front end of these buses have.. I pretty much wrote them off when I saw what they had to begin with... Which is why I specifically asked if anyone made replacements for the OEM covers...

As I said in the previous post... I think I'm going to go ahead and move forward with creating the mould to create new covers... And put some tweaks in to help increase their longevity. I'll have to do some experimentation and make a few to see what modifications stand up to some abuse, and which ideas simply won't work.

I want to keep the look.. And my visibility... Visibility is quite important over anything else. Being able to see what's in front of ya is pretty high up there on the necessity list! ^.^

Cheers!

-Mac
Frank Radosti (Frank4104)
Registered Member
Username: Frank4104

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 64.80.137.250

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 10:04 am:   

Mac not sure about the 4106 my 04 has one headlight on each side I'll wait for your noxt post post.....Frank
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 1028
Posted From: 71.3.157.139

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   

I think begining with the 4106, the GM buses used a 4 headlight sysyem. Jack
Douglas Wotring (Tekebird)
Registered Member
Username: Tekebird

Post Number: 393
Posted From: 71.59.75.212

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   

I have a supply of new ones
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member

Post Number: 345

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   

Frank, my 4905 has 4 headlights... two on each side and big round flasher pans... I'm afraid ours are not alike. :-(

Hi Jack!!! ^.^

Douglas... For which bus?

-Mac
Douglas Wotring (Tekebird)
Registered Member
Username: Tekebird

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 71.59.75.212

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   

4903/4905.

the 06 were model specific dual round but with a odd geometric shape turn signal.

04 had no fiberglass and had large round

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration