Copilot Seat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » April 2009 » Copilot Seat « Previous Next »

Camill Paul Elbisser (Paul)
Registered Member
Username: Paul

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 208.102.217.212

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 3:21 am:   

I want to weld in a piece of 3/8 steel plate just under ¾ plywood floor. Then I can drill thru the plywood and steel then tap steel to mount copilot seat and seat belts.
Can you tell me how far back from the stair well and out from the wall to the center the
Seat base?
We do not have the seat at this time

All Ideas Appreciated
Paul
Paul Lawry (Dreamscape)
Registered Member
Username: Dreamscape

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 64.40.216.58

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 6:49 am:   

If it were me I'd have the seat and seat base so you would know the hole spacing. I wouldn't want to go to all that work and the holes not be centered with the base, or the proper location of the seat. Install the plate then drill and tap later.

~Paul~
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 1032
Posted From: 71.3.157.139

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 8:27 am:   

Paul,
I agree with Paul, wait until you get your seat and pedastal before you drill and tap the holes. We did the same thing on our coach. We welded in 2 steel plates (one to attach the bolts in the front of the pedestal and one to attach the rear bolts). We ran the steel from the wall framing to the framing on the passenger side of then OEM "ramp" in the center of the bus.
All pedestals are not standardized. I have several that have different base dimemsions and bolt patterns. Are you attaching the seat belts to this steel plate or to the seat? Jack
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 400
Posted From: 70.60.107.86

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 9:13 am:   

Paul, I'm in the same process. I agree with what others have written. I had access to a seat in another vehicle to measure base dimensions, etc. but I never was exactly sure until I got the seat on the floor. And there's a deal where you can't put in the floor until you weld in the plate and you can't weld in the plate until you have the floor in to position the seat ...

Ain't busnuttin' fun????
Paul (Paul)
Registered Member

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:05 am:   

I am going to call Bradd & Hall today to see if they can tell me.

1- How far away from the wall to place the pedestal so the seat can turn around.

2- How far back to place it so the seat will be out of the way of stair way when facing forward or to the rear

3- If there a code or law of how the seat belts must be installed

Bradd & Hall no help
I have a call in to Flexsteel now
Paul (Paul)
Registered Member

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:46 am:   

Planed on putting a 3/8 steel plate large enough that the pedestal could be moved 4" to 6" forward, back, right or left. This would mean a plate under the floor 6" to 12" in each direction larger then the seat base. There will be precious cargo in that seat (ME) the wife will be driving!
Mark Renner (Boomer)
Registered Member
Username: Boomer

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 206.58.200.38

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:58 am:   

Paul, make sure your seat belt anchor points are to the STRUCTURE of the bus, not just to the floor. Really, the seat base should be bolted to the same also. In a frontal collision, the G forces are extreme. A few years ago a charter driver of an MC-9 hit a trailer in the freeway that had fallen off. At night. He had his seat belt on, but seat, driver and all was ejected through the windshield. The old rusty bolts snapped and everything pulled right out of the floor. Anchor everything to the front structure for safety. Don't know if any law outlines how this applies to conversions. Common sense rules.
Glenn Williams (Glenn)
Registered Member
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 216.163.56.194

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 11:00 am:   

I put mine in last year, and there is no way I could have done it without the pedastal and seat. I needed to sit in it, turn it around, lean it back, walk past it to figure exactly where it should go. Don't rush! You will be VERY frustrated when you need to move it 8 inches and you only have 6 to work with!

FWIW
Glenn
Ron Walker (Prevost82)
Registered Member
Username: Prevost82

Post Number: 382
Posted From: 208.181.210.47

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 11:42 am:   

3/8 is over kill. 1/4 or 3/16 plate would be fine.

I mounted the copilot seat on a swivel base so I made sure that it could swivel facing the rear of the coach.

I mounted mine 24" O/C, back from the edge of the stair well and 20" O/C from the side. I have a narrow cabinet on the side for drink holder and maps etc.

Marc_bourget (Marc_bourget)
Registered Member
Username: Marc_bourget

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 64.142.42.176

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   

I agree that 3/8" is too heavy.

If you're pulling up the floor (a good idea to check the accumulated silt above the wheel wells that's corroding your airbeams) I'd consider installing (welding) some hat sections or square tubing - of course after you've determined your distance requirements.

Many Mfg's will have an installation drawing detailing bolt patterns, swing clearance, etc. why not check their website or contact tech support. It's something they provide to OEMs and RV Mfgr's
Paul (Paul)
Registered Member

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   

Hi Marc
We did pull up the floor and replaced the steel over the fiberglass wheel wells with Stainless steel. Then wire brushed and painted the same. We do not have airbeams on our 102A3 so we will not have that trouble. I did get a drawing from flexsteel. The largest radius is 26.9 the smallest 19.9

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration