New vent installed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2009 » July 2009 » New vent installed « Previous Next »

Austin Scott Davis (Zimtok)
Registered Member
Username: Zimtok

Post Number: 341
Posted From: 216.37.73.226

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 10:31 am:   

I installed a new vent. It is not wired up yet but it looks good....

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/Zimtok/Buses%20Cars%20and%20Bikes/Ventinstalled.j pg
Glenn Williams (Glenn)
Registered Member
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 216.163.56.194

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   

Did you use a sealant? I can't see any in that picture. Looks good!

Glenn
Registered Member

Post Number: 342

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   

Yes I used a sealant. One bead all the way around on the inside of the screws and one on the outside of the screws. The sealant is black in color.

I may add a few screws where the plastic is bowed up between the factory screws. I wanted to wait and see if the sun/heat will settle the sealant down first.

Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 948
Posted From: 206.40.238.206

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   

Austin,

I don't know if you have AC installed but if not be sure to install one as far forward as possible. I'm paying the price in all this heat for the PO not doing that with mine.
Registered Member

Post Number: 343

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   

Roof airs were already installed. Front one is about where yours looks to be installed.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/Zimtok/Buses%20Cars%20and%20Bikes/Businfrontofnei ls_0001.jpg

I have a drivers fan located in the center of the top of the windshield that circulates the air around. I was also thinking about installing a duct along the ceiling to bring the cool air farther forward. I thought that I could make the duct out of a piece of the white rectangle PVC fencing you can find at the local Home Depot/Lowe's.
Jim Gibson (River_rat)
Registered Member
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 75.95.96.192

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   

Scott, Another option for a vent is plastic rain gutter down-spout. Same idea, put probably cheaper. Looks great!
Jim
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member

Post Number: 949
Posted From: 206.40.238.231

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 12:33 am:   

Austin,

I prefer the 4104 with all windows but I have to admit your's looks really great. Our ACs appear to be in the exact same locations. They both are too far back, one more bay forward for each would have been much better.

Today I installed a 10" fan on the floor just forward of the downblast of my AC so it blows the cold air directly on me. I had it at shoulder level across the aisle from me where it was better than nothing. I'm anxious to see how this lower position works.

Your high fan will blow hot air, a floor or lower fan is better. I still have the original driver's fan above my head on the left and it blows hot air. It is better than none but lower is better. I plan to change it one day.

I cut a hole directly below the down duct in the ceiling cover so my AC blows straight down to the floor, this gives max cold air output and velocity. I may have told you this already, if so, sorry.

The roof AC standard front and rear louvers diffuse the cold air so much it can hardly be felt in the front and not much in the center.

I'm interested to hear how the ducting to the driver works. In my case I would be concerned that the boss across and one seat to the rear of me would not get enough air and that would be trouble!!

I like Jim's idea for ducting.
Registered Member

Post Number: 344

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 10:10 am:   

Jim,
I did look at gutter downspouts as a possibility but decided that the square-ish dimensions were something I didn't like.

I think the cross piece of the fencing is more rectangle and lower profile to fit against the ceiling better.

Gus,
The vents on my air unit are forward and back so the air coming out of the forward vent is pointed directly at the center of my window where the fan is located. The fan then directs the air onto me. I'm hoping that by adding a duct the air coming out the vent will not dissipate as much before getting to the fan.

As for the air getting to "The Boss" to keep her cool, well, I don't have a "boss" to worry about. Most of the band members/groupies ride farther back. AND I was planning on cutting a side vent in the "duct" to divert some of the cold air to the side.

Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member

Post Number: 951
Posted From: 206.40.238.161

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   

Austin,

For your setup the fan you have installed makes sense. The duct should make a lot of difference. AC air in our buses needs to be directed in a stream instead of being diffused.

My vents pointed forward and aft too before I cut the hole sending all air directly to the floor and blocked the old vents.

I found that the old vents dissipated the air so much that very little was reaching the front of the bus. I think that the 90* turn the air blast has to turn to flow horizontally takes most of the energy out of the air flow.

The direct blast to the floor works much better, I would estimate it is 80% more effective now.

We block off the bus rear in hot weather and only cool the front half. I wish the rear AC were close enough to be included in the front cooling too.

In my opinion a motorhome setup doesn't really need rear AC because at night one AC can cool the whole bus easily.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration