Repower Project Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Repower Project « Previous Next »

DrEd (67.201.149.152)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 6:59 am:   

I posted on this board last year in early Spring that I was going to replace my 6V92TA and 740HD units in my MCI with a Series 60 and World transmission (4060HD). After a full year of work and one helper I completred the project in February 2003. I obtained the replacement units from a New Blue Bird Wanderlodge (burned out motorhome), I also obtained the compete cooling and exhaust systems from the BB which I also installed. I removed the original MCI cooling and exhaust components from the MCI and extended the frame 17 inches to fit both the engine/tranny units and also the large BB radiator and Air to Air unit. After some initial problems I have now put about 5000 miles on the bus with the new setup and the difference in performance and drivability is phenomenal. Set the cruise control on 65 mph and it will cruise the levels and moderate hills without gaining or loosing 2 mph. It takes a pretty large grade 6-7 percent or greater to slow the bus down. It will top sandstone mountain (7 percent near Beckley on I-64) at 50 mph pulling a 4000 pound towed. The fuel mileage is 6.8 mpg all around driving so far. I normally see 8-10 mpg on the level pavement and 2-3 mpg on the hills/mountains and city driving. I left the original gear ratio in the differential (3.73::1)I am really pleased with the results and would do it all over again if physically able to do so, but that is questionable. Thanks, DrEd.
JohnC (12.106.199.73)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 9:12 am:   

Nice job DrEd. For those of you considering a two cycle to four cycle repower, you might consider a Cat C-12. It is considerably smaller and lighter, yet puts out the same horsepower (500hp in its RV format) as the Series 60. I have been very impressed by its performance when compared with the Series 60. jc

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration