Inverters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Inverters « Previous Next »

Robert Setzer (204.116.30.2)

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 9:46 pm:   

Has anyone had any dealings with a VECTOR 3000 watt inverter?I found one ( modified sign wave) for about a third of the price of anything else. would appricate any info from past experince
Thanks, Robert
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.130)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   

Robert, the reason these cost less is that they don't have many of the features that people usually buy in an RV inverter.

the Maxx 3000 does not have any battery charger, nor does is have a search mode. Because there is no battery charger, there is no power sharing or battery temperature sensing.

The power sharing feature will let you get by on a small shore power source with little difficulty and the search mode reduces the idling power consumption to a fraction of one watt when you don't need AC power. This unit will draw about 15 watts when idling.

The temperature monitoring feature on the smart charger that you find in RV inverters will go a long ways towards extending the life of your batteries.

FWIW, we picked up our 358 Heart Combi 2000 VA for around $550 plus shipping on eBay a little over a year ago. I would think that they could still be found for similar money, since Camping World sells them for around $1,100, IIRC.

We have found that after we bought our inverter, there was a similar amount of money needed for installing it, for metering and wiring. To get it right takes some planning.

I hope this helps you with your question. Good luck!

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Henry Draper (12.82.132.146)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   

Hi Robert,

Tom gives you good advice on inverters.

I'll give my standard response. I have a buddy, a former Xantrex technician, who still has a few Heart inverters--down to the 2000 watt size now--that he's refurbished for sale. They're fully refurbished and come with a 30-day warranty.

Several busnuts have bought from him and are happy with the price and what they got for it.

If you're interested, contact me at blackeagle229@yahoo.com.

Henry Draper
'64 Eagle
Edmonds, WA
Scott Whitney (66.82.9.32)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   

I am very happy with the one I got thru Henry. (3KW Heart Marine) Highly recommend you contact him. The features in an RV (or marine) inverter will be a big bonus over just a straight inverter. Plus, you would still need a big battery charger so you may not save all that much in the end. In my opinion, the inverter/charger is the heart (and with a good interface panel, the brains too) of your AC and DC systems and should be the best you can afford.

Scott
TomNPat (68.130.21.67)

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 2:57 am:   

Have a Vector 1500 which needs to be sent in for warranty repair for the second time in a year. Used it a total of 10 days during that time.

Have bought a real inverter through Henry and hope to install it as soon as I get a manual.

TomNPat
Scott Whitney (66.82.9.30)

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:23 am:   

TomNPat,

You can download all the manuals right here:

http://www.xantrex.com/support/doclprod_type.asp?type=2

Save to your computer, print it out, and you have an instant manual.

Scott
Darryl (68.184.122.103)

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:29 pm:   

I also bought a 3000 Heart from Henry's friend. I'm pleased with mine as well. I'm especially pleased with the price.
Ace (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:53 am:   

Ditto here as well!

Ace
TomNPaty (68.128.12.17)

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 4:26 am:   

Scott,

Thanks for the link. Think the inverter is a Heart and didn't see it listed, but will look after our 2 day 'vacation' from the bus.

TomNPat
Scott Whitney (66.82.168.1)

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 8:29 pm:   

Which model Heart? I believe, all the Freedom models (most common for RV usage) are there at that link.

Scott
Ross Carlisle (Ross) (66.238.216.189)

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 2:44 pm:   

I also bought a Heart 3000 marine from Henry's friend. Very good price. I bought the remote control with it. I bought it last fall but just mounted it last weekend. I hope to have it wired up in a couple of weeks.

Ross

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration