Color of Paint for Roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Color of Paint for Roof « Previous Next »

Jet (68.155.194.63)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 8:11 pm:   

Does a roof painted white reflect more heat than the same painted silver?
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (4.17.253.108)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 1:51 am:   

The lighter the color, the better the reflection. Some recent talk has mentioned that Silver(brite) can also have a heat reflective benefit though I have found that the bare steel roof gets unbareabley hot.
KoolSeal, a sealant and heat reflectant, has given me great results and heat reflection as well as sealed the roof from leaks since '89'. I swear by the stuff. As I applied the KoolSeal, the metal actually began to feel cool on the inside during a 90 degree day. The temp change was very inpressive. Never had any streaks to mention, cleaning is simple with mild soap, I only had to clean once in three years. Color generally stays white, may dim a bit in elements but cleans right up.
I can't say enough good things about this product if used for its purpose. cd
Jayjay (198.81.26.108)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 3:25 am:   

I've not had much experience doing bus roofs, but last summer I painted the bare (silver ) roof of my hangar with a very white paint. This building had no insulation, and you could walk inside and tell how far the paint progress was by the cooler temperature under the white area!!! The difference was dramatic and almost immediate. Cheers...JJ
Scott Whitney (66.82.168.1)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:50 am:   

I concur. My bus roof started out white - well not a pure white, but sure looked white. Then I painted it with an elastomeric roof paint that really is bright white. You can see the difference in white color when side-by-side. But you can really feel the difference. Put your hand on the "white" part and it is too hot to touch. Put your hand on the roof-coated, pure white and it is warm only.

I haven't experimented with silver, but I think the whitest white (i.e. KoolSeal or off-name product) will be your best bet. I used Henry's brand from Home Depot.

Scott
FAST FRED (67.75.113.90)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 2:09 pm:   

If your going real fan$y Awlgrip & Immeron have about 5 different whites each.

They might know which is "Whitest" (least color other than white ), and coolist.

FAST FRED
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (67.8.68.121)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 5:58 pm:   

the lighter color the better. We did an informal test last July in south Florida. We had 2 buses parked in the afternoon sun. Our bus is 95% "ultra white" with flame red trim. The other bus is metallic dark green with metallic mauve and metallic gold trim. The ultra white was 106 degrees. The red was 123. The mauve was 128, the gold was 136 and the dark green was 146. Compared to the white that is an addtional 40 degrees of heat absorption that has to be eliminated by the AC
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (67.8.68.121)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 6:00 pm:   

For got to add the polished stainless steel on both buses was 136 degrees
Chuck MC8 (67.33.111.115)

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 9:48 pm:   

It would have been interesting to have measured a sample of the elastrometric product that Scott describes in the same test. Of course, The Kool Seal discussion has been re-hashed on the board lots of times, But Jack's test method would conclude what's coolest on the roof.
I see these new large RV's that are painted dark colors and wonder how they stay cool.
Jayjay (198.81.26.108)

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:30 am:   

Hey Fred, be careful with AwlGrip on an aluminum bus, as the copper content in it causes galvanic corrosion problems. Read the fine print on the can, it's great for marine use or a steel bodied bus, but GMC folk beware. BTW, how's the ship doing? I heard it's big enough to use that terminoligy. You've got me in the mood for one, so watch for photos soon of my upcoming nautical purchase! ...JJ
FAST FRED (67.75.110.24)

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 5:38 am:   

Awlgrip & its competitor are regulary used in the air craft industry as well as on aluminum boats.

Just a matter of the CORRECT primer .

JJ, 50 ft aint a ship , just a launch.

But its loads of fun.

FAST FRED
eagle 5 (66.90.211.7)

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 9:27 pm:   

O.K. HERE IS SOMETHING FUNKY....WON'T APEAL TO EVEN HALF YOU GUYS...BUT....THE OTHER HALF...LISTEN TO THIS.......WHEN I WAS IN NAM,YOU COULD WALK UNDER CAMOFLAGE & IT'D BE 10 DEGRES COOLER....SO....CARRY IT IN YOUR BASEMENT...STRING IT BETWEEN TREES OR WHATEVER,WHEN YOU GET PARKED...THAT & A WHITE ROOF & YOU ARE COOL.....
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.174)

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:21 pm:   

Hey, eagle 5....do you have a name? And WHY are you shouting at us? :)
RCB
eagle 5 (66.90.217.110)

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:57 pm:   

I AIN'T SHOUTING...NOT A TYPEST....DON'T MEAN TO OFFENED ANYBODY....JUST TRYING TO HELP
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 2:11 am:   

Then Rick (Eagle 5) - before you start typing, look at your keyboard, upper right corner. If the "Caps Lock" is lit, turn it off! Typing in all capital letters is considered YELLING at folk, which you just said wasn't your intention. Turning off the caps lock will correct the situation.

HTH,

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
eagle 5 (66.90.217.50)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 9:10 am:   

I WAS JUST OFFERING AN IDEA....NOW I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SOME LIMP-WRISTED CALIFORNIAN COMING UP AND HITTING ME WITH HIS PURSE
Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 9:42 am:   

Hey Eagle 5

How about leaving the Caps OFF and the attitude somewhere else! That was un-called for!

Doug

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration