Roof paint for identification? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Roof paint for identification? « Previous Next »

Johnny (63.159.193.74)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 11:37 am:   

R Terry's unfortunate saga of the stolen RTS inspired this thread: Several people mentioned painting something distinctive on the roof of the bus--numbers, unique logos, etc. What about this: I was contemplating something similar to a dazzle-paint scheme: alternating horizontal stripes of white or silver & either bright oramge (caution orange, like construction equipment) or hi-visibility chartreuse (like some fire trucks & some new road signs use). I'd prefer the chartreuse due to being lighter (cooler) than the orange, as well as more-visible at night. Any ideas here?
James Robinson (Jjrbus) (68.27.13.14)

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 1:54 pm:   

Good idea, Jack Conrad used a reflective tape to put lightning bolts on the side of his bus, don't know where he got it but this might work.
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.48)

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 2:22 pm:   

try a internet search...I found this site http://www.bgsales.com/auto/reflex.asp Super reflective stuff

Lorna
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.73.176.198)

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 2:33 pm:   

If anyone needs any of this tape, I do have some extra and also I can get it by the roll or 12" long piece (one white and one red section per strip) at a much cheaper price.

Peter.
Quest (198.29.191.147)

Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 7:04 pm:   

I might suggest that to remain unique and to keep confusion to a minimum you could use your initials in 3' by 2' letters such as SLC or RBE or the such. It would be rare that there would be two of the same intials. On the other hand, you could put your license plate numbers up there, or the last four digits of your social security number as that would be easy to remember or any other method to remember what it is.
Perhaps we should design a standard and pass it on to all the bus nutz so it would be easy to ID your bus uniformly with the hobby. I'm sure the Law enforcment people would prefer a method that is more standard than not.
BUT, if the law enforcment wont get off their butts for the other stolen bus, WILL THEY EVEN MOVE when you tell them it has an ID on the top to see????? Its great to plan on the worst but if you have no support from the people that are suppose to protect and serve, then your tax monies are for naught.
The other side, there is always that device that they install in cars that the police turn on to locate. I understand that OnStar also can locate the vehicle it is attached to along with some other great services. Might be a good one to check out.
Quest
jmaxwell (66.42.92.26)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 2:14 am:   

If the police either won't or don't have the time to look for it given a reasonable lead, I have to believe that they are certainly not going to mount an airiel search, so what purpose does roof ID serve? They also are not going to go around and climb up on buses to see what's up there. A few yrs. ago I had a jetski stolen, tricked out to the max, custom paint and unique seat upholstery. Reported it; no results. 1 of my kids spotted it in the back of a p/u, followed the 3 guys to a house, called me, I called the Sheriff, practically had to force him to go check it out, gave him the serial number and told him where to look for it (he claimed to not know where the serial number was). He called me back 2 hrs. later and said it was not mine; different color (they had repainted part of it but it still had the same upholstery); said he didn't check ID since it was obviously not mine. 2 wks. later a CHP auto theft officer confiscated it at a local lake and ticketed the 3 "owners" into court, which nothing ever came of, except I did get my jetski back, sans a ruined custom paint job. Now the topper: In the nearly 3 wks that it was on the hot sheet, it was ticketed 5 different times at local lakes for various violations and just 2 days before the CHP Officer grabbed it, CA. DMV issued a new title and registration to the guy that stole it, on his 3rd try. Turns out, he was the son of a police Captain in a 2 stoplight town near me. So, out of 7 cops that had contact with the jetski, only 1 did his job. Not good odds for relying on them. Better odds that Winchells or Krispy Kream will not get robbed!
Quest (198.29.191.148)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 3:18 am:   

Wow JMaxwell.
That is quite an exciting story. Glad you got it back, too bad the scum got away.
hmmm, better odds that Winchells or Krispy Kream will not get robbed? I always wondered why cops were as wide as they were tall. Around here, they favor Dunkin Donuts. Hee He. q
jmaxwell (66.42.92.26)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 3:38 am:   

Quest: They must not pay cops in your area as good as they do here in CA, so they have to settle for Dunkin' Donuts. No self-respecting cop around here would be caught dead in a Dunkin' Donut; hell, they would laugh him off the force. In a pinch, they will buy the house brand at a local supermarket! Now that type has no pride whatsoever!
FAST FRED (67.75.103.100)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 9:42 am:   

Since you have the culprets address , only a couple of bucks will have him at a different address. Gas is still under $2.00 a gal., and matches are free!

FAST FRED
Larry (208.18.102.12)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 10:54 am:   

NEVER SAY TO A COP

1. I can't reach my license unless you hold my beer. (OK in Texas)

2. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.

3.Aren't you the guy from the Village People?

4. Hey, you must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good
job!

5. Are You Andy or Barney?

6. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a
police officer.

7. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?

8. I pay your salary!

9. Gee, Officer! That's terrific. The last officer only gave me a
warning,
too!

10. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.

11. I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other

cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are.

12. When the Officer says "Gee Son....Your eyes look red, have you been
drinking?" You probably shouldn't respond with,"Gee Officer your eyeslook
glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?"
Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (24.207.251.176)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 5:15 pm:   

I have always been a fan of the idea that any vehicular ticket issued should have the VIN number on the ticket and entered into the computer. I think it would solve a lot of stolen vehicle problems. There was talk of doing that in Florida in the early or mid 70s, but it went nowhere.
Phil (204.89.170.126)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 8:08 am:   

In my opinion, the best protection for any vehicle in the event of theft is a tracking device based on GPS. There are many available (including "Onstar"). Costs vary depending capabilities. I manage a fleet of 250 vehicles and have looked into a number of systems for vehicle management that continuously track the vehicles through an internet site (fairly expensive ongoing costs). There are others that allow you to track on demand and you only pay for the equipment and per use fees. Many can be set up to remotly shut the vehicle down, unlock the doors, etc. similer to "Onstar". A web search for vehicle tracking systems will give you tons of companies that deal with this stuff. Many are small and easily hidden.
We recently had a situation in the city I live where some low lifes murdered a guy and stole his Olds Bravada. They drove the vehicle to Texas from NY without being caught. Finaley one of the victim's reletives remembered the vehicle was equipped with "Onstar" and the cops were able to track the vehicle and make the arrests. The systems work.
RICK (66.90.217.226)

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   

I LOST 4000.00 IN TOOLS LAST WINTER....TOLD THE SHERIFF WHO DID IT & THEY NEVER EVEN QUESTIONED HIM...SAID IT WOULD BE A VIOLATION OF HIS RIGHTS TO PRIVACY...WHERE'S THAT GAS

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration