Crown owners list Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Crown owners list « Previous Next »

Frank Rowe (Frankrowe) (216.222.12.72)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 2:24 pm:   

I'm making a Crown owners list. There is little reference information available. I thot a Crown owners list would be valuable to create a bus parts number catalog/interchage, sharing some "how to do" info, and sharing of anything unique to these buses. Another note was posted on another BB. A web site would be valuable. I would create a site, but I lack those skills. I have been gathering many Crown bus pictures and will eagerly share. I'm trying to create a wiring diagram for the transit type Crown buses. I'm also building a new dash for gages. Any info and ideas very welcome. Frank Rowe........frank-id@velocitus.net
Frank Rowe (Frankrowe) (216.222.12.72)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   

Crown owners list as of May 26 2003

Frank Rowe 1967 Crown AEC bus 35ft AD743
Steve 1980 Atomic Crown
John Holderman 1965 Crown 35ft Hall Scott
Gary Stadler 1962 Crown
RC Bishop
Henry Bergman 1974 Crown
Wm Graff
Doug Tappan 1969 Crown
JD exsquid 1968 Crown
Mark O 1969 Crown
Pat Kern AEC Crown
Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:29 pm:   

Wow Kool!! I have the oldest one! Whoopee!!

Funny, I bought it from a guy on ebay and it was advertised as a '69, but when I got there to pick it up the pink slip didn't agree. Well, the bus was older than I'd have wanted but now that I'm at the end of the process it turns out not to have made any difference at all. The engine was a '69 and virtually newly rebuilt, runs like a top... what more could ya ask for!
All things considered, though the guy I bought it from was a sheister, but it turned out ok...

Cheers
Gary
joseph p gallaher (Jrgers) (67.219.58.243)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:38 am:   

Hi all.Great idea. .Would like to add our bus to list.1954 Crown w/504 Hall-Scott.Already converted to RV.Working on Cummins transplant.If anyone has done this before let me know.Thanks Joe Gallaher
dougthebonifiedbusnut (136.217.0.198)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 5:34 am:   

Hey Joe,
I put an 1986 855 in my 1965 when i get back from my tour in Bosnia sometime in sept i will send you a bunch of pics and info of how i did it I also know a guy in WA that put a 400 hp 855 in his crown will have him get in touch with you
Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach) (204.245.250.19)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:33 am:   

I have two Crown Supercoaches.

My first Crown is the Buskid's former bus, a 1969 40' 10-wheeler with a Cummins 262 and Allison HT70. It has been refurbished and is now seated for 53-passengers in cloth covered recliners.

My second Crown is a 1979 with a DD 6-71T and a five speed. It is still set up as a school bus. It was originally owned by the Toldeo, WA school district.

Even though there is ten years difference in the two coaches and they have different power packages and the obvious difference of two vs. three axles, both buses drive very similarly. Neither one has any siginificant rattles or squeaks.

So far, I have been able to get all of the parts and pieces I have needed locally or from West Coach. West Coach has also been very helpful with information I have needed.

Truly, the Crown is the royalty when it comes to buses.

Mark O.
Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:35 am:   

Ulp! I'm not the olest anymore!! Joseph has it! cool...I'd love to see a pic...

Cheers
Gary
bster (198.81.26.108)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:24 am:   

california oregon washington west coach witch one?
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.164.175.81)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 3:41 pm:   

My '74 10-wheeler probably holds the record for sitting for 13 weeks in the Oregon winter while I was visiting, then helping family in sunny Bakersfield CA.

The front wheels were up to the rims in mud, there was weeds and stuff everywhere underneath and the interior was full of bugs, mice and mildew.

Anyway...to make a long boring story short and boring, she cranked for about 3 seconds, then lighted right off. Broom, broom broom. Fantastic machine!

Once she aired up, I placed it into low reverse, dumped the clutch and peeled grass from the drivers pulling the front end out of the mud. Very cool indeed and much fun!

As soon as I decide to be stupid enough to dump $25,000 down a rat hole, the conversion to that ultimate motorhome shall begin. Still deciding. GE stock is way up.

She is a good candidate for a conversion. Big Cam Cummins with the 10-speed and 85 mph gearing. Still am discovering all the new parts she has. Only 1500 miles on a California School Bus Certificate. VIN 37317.

Huge weight carring capacity. Has a 16K front axle and the 34K rear drivers, gets 10 to 12 mph at 65 mph and has the best brakes I have ever seem on ANY coach. Anyway, I am jazzed and babbling. CROWNS FOREVER Henry of CJ
bster (198.81.26.108)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 7:35 pm:   

seen a real nice one in vegas bus convention in 90 something a nice bus .
JDExsquid (66.32.127.119)

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   

The JDExsquid machine is coming right along. I've installed a lot of cabinets and am putting the finishing touches on the kitchen sink. It still needs a paint job (desperately) but you just can't kill these things.

Doug, I've got lots of pics to show you!

Jim
1969 Crown Supercoach 35 ft
Patrick Young (165.247.226.130)

Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 1:19 am:   

Howdy Frank and the Crown gang

Well, I have several Crowns. One is dead (bad cylinder) and the other has a 250 Cummins, and my latest is something very unusual for me, a Crown with a 6-71 and an Allison 4 speed.

I haven't decided what to do with the last two, as actually I'm a Gillig guy (OK and I like fords better than Chevys too) but the Crowns are certainly great buses, and they ain't gonna build anything like 'em ever again.

Good luck folks, and keep the aluminum side up.

Pat Young
Wheelchair Project
Fresno, CA
559-251-3814
William R. Graf (Billfrombrazil) (206.158.10.42)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 12:50 am:   

You have my name, but nothing else, and the name is spelled wrong. We have a 1973 40 foot tandem axle Crown. It was a school bus in Ray, Arizona (which town they tell me has now slid off into the Ray Mine). It is powered by an 817 cu. in. naturally asperated Cummins putting out 250 hp coupled to an HT-70 six speed Allison automatic transmission. The bus had been converted, but a very rough job, before we purchased it. I pulled everything out and put in an all new floor then redid everything to make it practical for my wife who is on a walker full time. We now live and travel in it full time allthough at the moment we are out of it while I am doing body work on it and soon to paint it. It would be interesting to know the history of the bus since the multiple layers of paint, body filler in places, and a replaced outer roof panel right amidships suggest some past adventures.

I located a gulmite driver from a company that handles school lockers but now wish I had made the effort to get other sizes also since there are gulmite screws of various sizes throughout the thing.

We drove the bus just under 8,000 miles this spring and had no problems except some electrical adventures. The more I learn about the Crown the more impressed I am with it, in spite of the noise and the pace going over the 6% plus grades we encounter here and there. Steepest so far is a little used road from Chugwater to Hawk Springs, Wyoming. Took a double loaded cement bulker (being used only for storage for a moving batch plant)down that same grade some years back with a 318 Detroit and a 13 speed and no trailer brakes or Jake brake. The fun part is the 35 MPH curve at the bottom. No problem at all for the Crown pulling our Ranger pickup.

By the way, I just received word that some states now REQUIRE brakes on your toad. One of those is Illinois and we plan to be there in September. What is the cheapest way I can meet their requirements? I pull the pickup with a towbar.

Bill from Brazil
William R. Graf
frankrowe (216.222.12.201)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 3:29 am:   

Crown Bus Owners

Greetings Bill, Sorry about your name misspelled. Thanks for the note. You may send any pics to me?.or Gary Stadler. My addy is frank-id@velocitus.net.
I have now gathered 15 names of Crown owners and several names of wannabe owners. The owners are located all over the country. The new list is??.
RC Bishop 1964 Crown Hiway
Gary Stadler 1962 Crown
Henry Bergman 1974 Crown
Wm Graf 1973 Crown
Doug Tappan 1969 Crown
Jdexsquid 1969 Crown
Steve 1980 Crown Atomic
Frank Rowe 1967 Crown Atomic
Mark Obtinario 1969?1979 Crown
John Holderman 1965 Crown??..Hall Scott Power
Pat Young Crowns??..
Joe Gallaher 1954 Crown Hll Scott power
Bster
Jerry Campbell 1975 Crown
Nick Beall 1952 Crown
Syd Pygott 1978 Crown

Please send any Crown info, the bus history, your bio, and any Crown pics.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration