Fresh water whistle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Fresh water whistle « Previous Next »

Dale Fleener (66.81.136.138)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 10:49 pm:   

I have been thinking about adding a whistle on the vent line of the fresh water tank, simular to the one on the fuel tank, for the same reason, to indicate when the tank is getting full. Have any of you done this? or heard of it? Any pros or cons would be appreciated. Dale MC8
Jayjay (198.81.26.108)

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 2:12 am:   

Dale I think you're a genius! Why didn't I think of that? I'm interested in how well it works, and expect a full report, along with where to get a whistle. ...JJ
joe shelton (Littlewind) (165.121.145.115)

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:25 am:   

I'm fix'n to make new water tanks and all but I can't think of how it (whistle) would work. I imagin you could have two ports to the vent, one a little below full and the other right at the top of the tank with a whistle, both plumbed to the vent line. When the water covered the first port then all the escaping air would be pushed thru the whistle. Joe 4106-2119
Dale MC8 (66.81.136.138)

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 1:03 am:   

Still looking for the right type whistle. I was thinking of having the whistle stop (or gurgle) when the tank is full. Dale MC8
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.236)

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   

Most tank whistles sound off during normal fill and stop when the tank is near full. That lets the person doing the filling walk around or do something else until the whistle stops.

This means that they can tell when they are getting too far away during filling if the sound becomes hard to hear. An ordinary fuel tank whistle ought to work just fine and they are available wherever heating oil equipment is sold and at many larger plumbling shops.

These only need an inch and a half female threaded opening in the top of the tank and the whistle stops when the tank is three inches or so from the top. Since they take a nipple in the top, the tank vent could be run up in the coach as far as you wanted it.

Food for thought.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Dale MC8 (66.81.132.26)

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 6:45 pm:   

Thanks Tom, that's just the type information I was looking for. Heating oil equipment dealer might be hard to find here in Calif, so I'll check the plumbing places.

Thanks again.

Dale MC8
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.130)

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 10:58 pm:   

Dale, if you have any trouble tracking one down in your area, we live in Alaska, so they're in common use here. I can furnish dimensions if you need them and ship you one if you decide it is what you want.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
FAST FRED (67.75.110.14)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:07 am:   

Although not as fancy as a whistle I have found that by using a 1 1/2 Water Fill (from a boat catalog) there is no need for seperate vent line.

The 1 1/2 will take the water from a very agressive fill pressure and still have enough room for the air to get out.

There IS a very small vent hole that needs to be drilled into the cap , to not collapse the tank in use.

Advantage,,, you REALLY fill the tank to the top , which is important if you are counting on a known quantity of water.

Works for me,

FAST FRED

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration