Engine removal and replacement? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Engine removal and replacement? « Previous Next »

carl mci 9 (24.154.162.50)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 7:34 am:   

I want to replace my 8v71 with another rebuilt 8v71.
What did you use to remove the engine and work on the engine when it was out?
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (204.193.117.66)

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   

In my MC-8 service manual, there is a drawing with dimensions to build an shop engine cradle on wheels. I have also seen a cradle that was made to be pushed against back of the bus after removing the bumper. This cradle is then bolted to the end of the bus engle cradle frame and engine/transmission is then slid out onto this cradle. Not sure about an engine stand to allow access to top and bottom of engine after it is out of the bus. Hope this helps, Jack
carl mci 9 (24.154.162.50)

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 9:00 pm:   

Thanks Jack for your reply. I was hoping that there would be another way of doing this. I don't plan on pulling the engine again and I don't know what I would do with the cradle after ther job is done. I have a good size bus barn but it seems like the room is eaten up quickly with everthing for the bus.
carl.
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (170.215.174.92)

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 9:05 pm:   

I am about to put a unit like this on the Flea Market.

I bought it when I had my MC-8 and since that has a new owner, I don't need the cradle.

The workshop I bought it from said the 8V71 pan rail sits on this "shop cradle on wheels".

They explained that to remove the engine, one lifts the back of the bus, runs the cradle under the engine and after removing mounts, etc. one lowers the bus and the engine is lifted clear. Whether one can bring the bus cradle and tranny out as one unit, I don't know, but it might be possible.

Anyway, take a look at my ad which will be in the Flea Market in a few minutes.

I am in Kingman Arizona. madbrit@ctaz.com

Peter.
Brad (142.177.83.227)

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 9:30 pm:   

I took some 2" square tubing - matched to the engine cradle in the bus and welded it to an axle and put a hitch on it . I hooked it to the tractor - backed up to the bus with the bumper off and winched the engine and transmisson out with a come along. It is then easy to move outside for cleaning etc.
Brad Nova Scotia Canada
bobk (24.56.194.188)

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 9:40 pm:   

I built a platform from some scrap I-beams and some casters.
Maybe you could jack-up the rear of the bus, build some GOOD cribbing, remove the mountings, then lower the bus and pull it ahead.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration