Keeping cool in the South West Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Keeping cool in the South West « Previous Next »

Peter Aduskevich (Slowslowpete) (67.193.96.209)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 2:43 am:   

First : I would like to thank all of you who gave me advice getting my gen. set installed. 56 db in coach. Second:Found a solution to keeping the bus cool when parked. I took a large swamp cooler ( side draft) and fed the air through a window via a large garbage bag. Besides keeping it cool it kept the dust out. Third: Need advice for water spray for Rad.. I have a 12volt pump and a spray nozzle that puts out 1/3 gal. per min. Am I in the ballpark?? Have diesel pusher with a angled side mounted rad. Does any one know what issue or mag had a article about doing this. FMCA or Bus conv. Peter
Steve (208.19.55.39)

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 2:16 pm:   

Hey Peter, Here's my way. I installed a 12v windshield washer pump from a wrecking yard donor in a 5 gallon paint bucket with a gasketed lid, set the bucket in the passenger side engine bay floor, ran garden quality spagetti hose with two misters per side to the MCI rad's. For the electric, I used the existing A/C-heating toggle switch ,in driver's panel( no factory a/c or coach heat in bus, driver's heat still functional), I used #54 wire, after tapping into 12v, to supply the switch, #68 from switch to stud#30 in driver's panel,- located the wire in rear panel coming from front stud#30 and attached it to rear stud#17, installed wire#14L onto rear stud#17 which already went across to passenger side one foot from my 5 gallon bucket. Attached 14L to hot lead and grounded the other pump wire.--- slliiiicccck. I, of course, made sure the wires I used were already dormant. I also listed the new changes on the appropriate page in the owner's manual. Suggestion to converters of all brands of coaches, leave the front to rear wires, for later use. HTH, Steve
jmaxwell (66.42.92.25)

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   

Peter: I think your spray head is way to large. U should be thinking in the range of 2-3 gallon per hour heads: the fine misters u find for drip irrigation systems in your local building centers. Whatever # of heads it takes to cover the surface of the radiator. Any more water than that is a waste. It actually takes very little water to accomplish your purpose. the 12 v pump is fine, operated from a switch in the drivers compartment or tap into your drinking water system and use a solenoid valve that u find for lawn sprinkler systems. Finding a good 12v water valve will be the real challenge. When u do, let me know, I'm on my 3rd and they all leak a small amount when off.
Peter Aduskevich (Slowslowpete) (67.193.96.12)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 12:48 am:   

Thanks for your input. Are we talking about a constant on system or a couple of seconds on and a bit more off. Peter
DrivingMissLazy (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 6:49 am:   

I built mine using the finest drip system nozzles available.I used a total of six, but probably could have got by with four.

I plumbed it into the fresh water tank with a seperate water pump controlled by a lighted switch on the instrument panel. Using a seperate pump assured me of a spare pump in case the other pump failed while on a trip.

When the engine temp gets to about 200 degrees, I turn on the pump for a few minutes, and the temperature immediately starts falling. Have never had it on for more than a few minutes at a time on some of the worst grades in the western states.

The amount of water utilizes is so small that I can not detect any lowering of the fresh water tank after a hard climb. (40,000 pound Eagle with 8V92).
Peter Aduskevich (Slowslowpete) (67.75.106.202)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 2:46 am:   

Found the article in Bus Conv. Nov. 2001, page 25. The article was written by Dave Galey . Jim, he said that he has used"a standard skinner valve(a 1/4 inch air valve, commonly used to shut down the engine)" Peter
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (209.210.116.27)

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   

Master Jedi Luke Skywalker in one of the Star Wars novels distinctly said that evaporation was one of the best ways of sucking heat energy out of a system.

They used this method to freeze totally a whole planet that was overrun with bad guys from another Galaxy bent on conquering the New Rebublic.

I mean, if it worked a long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away, why would it not work today trying to keep our cool in the pleasent spring or summer? :) :) :) Henry of CJ.
FAST FRED (67.75.110.14)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:01 am:   

"I mean, if it worked a long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away, why would it not work today trying to keep our cool in the pleasent spring or summer? "

Probably not in FL or any place the humidity is very high.

Although mistaken slang calls them "Swamp Coolers"

,,,, "Desert Coolers" would be a more accurate term.

In much of the South East ,you need an air cond to cool a coach interior.

FAST FRED
Erich (216.132.61.162)

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 6:22 pm:   

Although mistaken slang calls them "Swamp Coolers"

They get this name because the air feels like a swamp
while using one.

Erich
I know hell is hot, but is it humid?
Peter Aduskevich (Slowslowpete) (67.75.113.6)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 1:50 am:   

I
Dave Galey refers to them as evaporative coolers .which I believe is correct.
DrivingMissLazy (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 7:51 am:   

I thought the subject was about evaporative coolers (spray mist) for cooling the radiator, not for cooling the interior of the bus!!
Richard
Peter Aduskevich (Slowslowpete) (67.75.113.67)

Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 2:10 am:   

Thanks for geting us back on track. But you got me thinking. If you took one of thoses water pads from a swamp cooler and put it on the Rad. I wonder what it would do for the engine temp. ( of course with water). I looked at a web site that had a commercial mister. It used a control unit that I think was 2 seconds on and 2 to 20 off. That seems like a intermittent wiper control.Peter
drivingmisslazy (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 7:32 am:   

Pete, the automatic would probably work ok, but I just watch my temperature guage when I am climbing a grade. Turn the misters on about 200 degrees and probably within thirty seconds the temperature has dropped to 180 degrees. Really uses a very small amount of water for the job it does, and I have never had any build up of lime or anything else on the radiator. Over 10 years and over 100,000 miles of use.
Richard

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration