Cummins L10 into GMC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Cummins L10 into GMC « Previous Next »

gg04 (67.249.85.18)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 10:44 pm:   

Has anyone put an L10 into a GMC? Have found more cummins power packs than 300hp 671's..need to repower..do not want 6v92 ...just asking..
Buswarrior (Buswarrior) (64.229.208.52)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 12:36 am:   

word is that the vibration of a four stroke will promote structural problems.

FastFred posted some info he got from an RTS engineer a while ago. Search the archives.

fwiw

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.55)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 9:15 am:   

There have been quiet a few L10/Voith V-drive Flxible transits going cheap in the past year or so, I have heard of people wanting to transplant one in their GMC's but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing it, or what retro-fit problems they may have encounted.

BTW, the RTS engineering comments on past attempts to install 4-strokes in RTS buses is available on the Yahoo RTS group site, where it was ORIGINALLY posted by one of our members who wrote the engineer.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Gary Carter (216.17.71.37)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   

First the L10 is a right hand engine and if you use the current transmissions you will be able to travel backwards at full speed. So it means a transmission change to a ZF, VR-730 and maybe voight. Also speaking of transmissions, make sure you get one with an overdrive. A 6 speed ZF would be great, but the 4 speed is direct drive. The 730 is .875:1 and I don't know about the voight.

Structurly the GMs were designed to handle the torque of a left hand engine. I do not know the reprocussions of right hand torque.
gg04 (67.249.85.161)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 9:07 pm:   

cheap L10's are voith v drive transed out of Flex 870's...not much more vibes than 6v92... only motor looked at that really vibrated was series 50..L1 is just lighter than 671 and as much hp and torque as late model computer controlled 671..280-300hp...just want more power and not more weight...
Buswarrior (Buswarrior) (64.229.211.94)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 11:30 pm:   

Local big transit originally had New Flyers - L10 with ZF 4 speed with retarder V drive. Reliablity problems inspired a retrofit of an Allison V730 with no retarder. These are beginning to show up in the wrecking yard here in Ontario due to rusted out frames.

I've been here since they bought them new in 1990, and they have shaken everything loose. The screws, the windows, the lights, the mirrors, they are complete rattle traps. The L10 shakes way more than any 6V92 I have ever encountered.

Lots of power, but lots of shake.

Please experiment as you feel led, and be sure to share your results, but make sure you have some good numbers on the vibration differences between the stock motor and your choice of donor and the effect of the difference on your coach structure.

My betting money is on something cracking somewhere that you don't want it too.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
FAST FRED (67.75.101.13)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 5:36 am:   

From my source at TMC , yes the 4 bangers shake a lot AT IDLE.

This is were most transits spend much of their lives.

His considered recomendation was to just rebuild the 2 stroke ,
to what ever HP you think you need.

AS RV's try not to spend much time sitting at a traffic light or at the curb , I'm wanting to attempt the Major Transplant.
Happily my 8V only has 120,000 so there is loads of time.

I was working on LUKE at US Coach to do the swop so he could offere a Turn Key service , to bring the thousands of early GM coaches up 60 years .

He is very interested in doing this but unfortunatly his transplant wizards are now busy with their first attempt at shoving a truck DD S-60 in the back of an MCI9.

AS the 9's are so cheap these days this offers possabilites for commercial , as well as recreational transplant business.The charter boys are interested in great reliability , rather than the camper dream of 500HP to hit speed bumps with.

Understand a KIT and instruction sheet/parts list will be avilkable in a year or so , for back yard wrenches , with welding experience.

Maybe the Flex into GM total swop will be next!

Sure HOPE SO!
I Have voulenteered my coach for the experiment.

FAST FRED
gg04 (67.249.85.104)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 9:23 pm:   

Have looked at about a dozen different vehicles with L10 from Van Hools to fords...no one driving or maintaining them have major complaints about vibration....series 50 detroits yes but they are 4cyl 4 cycle .just wanted other opinions...gg

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration