Does anyone know of good sturdy cupbo... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Does anyone know of good sturdy cupboard door latches? « Previous Next »

esthergater (63.187.240.193)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 4:07 am:   

Has any one found any good sturdy latches to put on cupboard or cabinets? Some of our cabinets will be small but quite a few of them will be larger with heavier things in them.
FAST FRED (67.75.111.22)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 5:13 am:   

I have found 2 usefull systems so far.

For overhead cabinerts that swing up,
the old RV "Touch latch" is fast positive and works well.$3.50 each

The lid closes and is caught by a latch , to unlock push the lid into the cabinet & it pops unlocked , you swing up & a sizzor leg holds the cabinet open till you pole the center of the
hinges strut.

The other method , very usefull for heavy drawers is the push button lock that extends a cast tongue about 1/2 inch.
When closed the push button is flush with the drawrer surface, when unlocked it sits noticably out .

So getting ready for the road only takes a glance & a push on any unlocked buttons.

This topic was well covered many tines in the past , the archives in this board will lead you to the various supplyers.

FAST FRED
Don KS/TX (65.141.167.235)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 7:33 am:   

I tried an assortment of types on my conversion, but was most pleased with products Fleetwood (Pace Arrow, Southwind, etc) used in late 80, early 90 timeframe. The cabinet latch is a mechanism that latches when shut, and you must pull out slightly on the knob to release it and open. The drawers use a simple nylon catch which requires a slight lift to open. They are foolproof, dirt cheap to obtain, easy to install, and replacements are available anywhedre.
Ed Roelle (68.61.85.10)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 8:06 am:   

I noticed that a number of high end coaches use the Grabber Catch Series from Southco. Austin Hardware sells them.

http://www.southco.com/industries/html/interiorcabinets.htm

They come in 3 strengths. I bought the weakest, and they hold effectively, yet are not difficult to open. I think they were about $2.50 each.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 9:05 am:   

Here's mine and a writeup. I'm very happy with them

http://www.heartmagic.com/catches/CatchStory.html

Cheers
Gary
DaveD (64.235.198.76)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 9:12 am:   

I installed "Positive Catch" P/N H227 (Tel. No. 1-800-938-5883) recessed hidden catches on our overhead cabinet doors. These are similar to what Winnebago was using in its Chieftains in the mid 80s; I'm not sure what they use now. These require a recess in the bottom edge of each cabinet door. I was able to do this with a router. The catches are completly hidden when the doors are closed and you just push up on the handle which is hidden in the recess to unlatch the door. Cost from a local RV dealer was about CA$7.50 each here in Ontario, I would guess they should be $5.00 -$5.75 in the USA.

Dave Dulmage
(MC-8)
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.160)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 10:09 am:   

I remember the touch latches on my parents camper that we had when I was a kid. I remember how we had to take a screw driver to remove a couple of the doors because the locks quit working (wouldn't open).

Lorna

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration