Dirty fuel filters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Dirty fuel filters « Previous Next »

bobm (64.12.96.235)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 11:20 am:   

I normally change fuel filters every spring and usualy notice improved throttle response with new filters. Obviously filters should have been changed sooner. Any way to install an indicator to determine when filters are reaching the end of their life span.
Johnny (63.159.125.103)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   

Unless you have a "fuel filter" warning light, the only way I know is trial & error.
John Rigby (24.174.235.164)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 1:34 pm:   

You can check by installing a fuel pressure gauge with a sending unit right when the line leaves the fuel pump on the high pressure side.Take note of the pressure when you instal new filters,should it drop then it would indicate bad filters or a leak.
John
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.55)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 2:10 pm:   

Fuel filters are usually good for at least 10,000 miles, unless you have crap in your tanks or manage to pick up some water. The fuel pressure gauge is a good idea if you are having to change them more often.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Rodger Manecke (Rodger) (216.170.203.174)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 10:58 am:   

A effective, if a bit pricey solution is a Diesel Pro Filter, sold by Detroit and probably other vendors. It's a single filter system
amounting to a cartridge in a transparent "bowl". When the fuel level in the bowl reaches the line near the top of the cartridge, it's time to replace. Cartridges are cheap, replacement is very easy and priming is not necessary. The Fuel Pro provides an easy way to visually monitor for air or water in the system and a simple way to add fuel, if necessary.
Jim Stacy (12.87.108.237)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   

Amen to that, Rodger. Fuel Pro is the answer to a maiden's prayers. Replaces both primary and secondary filters, can be heated by coolant or electric, needs no tools to change elements, has a large sediment bowl, etc., etc.

Jim Stacy
two dogs (66.90.216.171)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 6:26 pm:   

boy,that sounds great..how much are they (about)

gas and diesel don't sit well..gas turns to shelac & diesel attracts moisture..the badest thing you can do to a diesel is turn the engine off...they love to run...
John Bessette (170.215.88.207)

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 10:07 am:   

the fuel Pro is the only way to go.I got one it sure is nice to be able to see when to change the filter. Can't say how much I got mine from my Son.
John 4106
Jim Stacy (12.87.108.194)

Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:47 pm:   

A Fuel Pro will run between $200 to $300 depending on the options (size, no heat, heat by coolant, heat by electric, with thermostat, etc) and how much discount you can swing at your friendly Detroit Diesel dealer.

The good news is, after the initial bite, the elements with new "O" rings are about $6. This replaces both primary and secondary and you only change them half as often as the originals because you can see when the filter is working or used up. FWIW

JIm Stacy

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration